Welcome to the forum!
Liquid chlorine (aka bleach) adds nothing but water and a pinch of salt to your pool water, besides the chlorine.
Do you have a test kit? It is imperative you have a proper test kit to manage your pool water chemistry. Test Kits Compared
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Notsofunanymore..
When using household bleach, ensure it is regular/plain. Avoid scented or splashless items, and also avoid Clorox brand bleach as it has polymers added for fabrics which tend to complicate pool chemistry. Welcome! :wave:

I haven’t read the “abc’s” yet. At this point I have been relying on the local pool store for water testing and a bottle of strips. We just installed the 1st of September. I have fought my first battle of “green pool” (I won) I didn’t knw you could use household bleach in your pool. The reason for my question was I have the Aqua Smarte chlorine dispenser and it seems like there is never any chlorine in this pool, but we’re crushing through the canisters( like every two weeks or less) and hardly ever a FC reading

The short answer is that the Aqua Smarte is designed to trickle in chlorine slowly, so if it dropped to zero it cannot possibly catch back up. You haven't mentioned the size of your pool, but the two pounds of trichlor in a canister would only have 15 ppm of FC for a 15,000 gallon pool. Less if your pool is larger. That's not a lot if you are dealing with algae (which if you won the green pool battle with a normal shock then you likely still have algae in the water) and on top of that it is also raising your CYA level making your chlorine less effective.

The longer answer is that Aqua Smarte is an awful device. I had a Frog, which is an identical product, when I bought this house and ripped it out shortly after finding TFP. The "minerals" in it are just some extremely overpriced silver and the canisters are equally overpriced trichlor tablets. You don't want to get too much silver in your water as it can stain, and trichlor allows CYA to build up which reduces the effectiveness of chlorine and forces you to either drain water or buy other costly products to keep algae at bay. Their claim of using less chlorine is not only bogus, but relies on the incorrect assumption that less chlorine leads to a better swimming experience. It doesn't and the worst pools you have ever experienced probably had the least chlorine in them. That's why you need to read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, there is a lot of really bad sales literature being passed off as factual data in this industry and we are all susceptible to falling for it if we don't know otherwise.

Wow, yes I have to agree with you about this chlorinator. I have an AGP 30x54 with 2hp swim pro Voyager pump. Cartridge filter/aqua dumb chlorine dispenser. I’m burning through max pacs and never a chlorine reading. The green pool incident was after a rain and not realizing the “max pac” was empty(seem like I just put it in) So I cleaned the Dang pool (good ol fashion scrubbing) pulled the cartridge out cleaned it, vacuum, shocked 2x’s, used clarifying and it’s sparkling, all chemicals are on the money just no FC... wth....

So my question is what kind of chlorine can I put in that won’t throw my balance off? I’m just about done with this chlorinator! It’s like a risky,costly, frustrating guessing game with it! It’s never actually worked it seems...it’s like “let’s go out and see if there’s any chlorine in the pool today!!”

Liquid chlorine will only add chlorine to your pool. It is usually sold in strengths of 10-12% at walmart, hardware stores, pool stores. Or you can use just plain old bleach, with is the same as liquid chlorine but at a lower strength so you need more for the same effect.

Liquid Chlorine is what to add so it doesnt throw the balance off. The Brand Name is not important. Chlorine is Chlorine,

There are two types of Liquid Chlornine.
You can use what is known as Liquid Pool Shock, available a Big Box stores in the pool dept, and/ or at pool stores.
Or you can use household bleach from the supermarket.
Liquid Pool Shock is higher in concentration than bleach is, thats basically the only difference.

The only thing to watch for if you use bleach, is to use plain regular bleach. Do not use any of the scented, splashless or other "improved" types of bleach in your pool.

If I were to make a specific suggestion, it would be to use Great Value bleach from Walmart.

So my question is what kind of chlorine can I put in that won’t throw my balance off? [/B]I’m just about done with this chlorinator! It’s like a risky,costly, frustrating guessing game with it! It’s never actually worked it seems...it’s like “let’s go out and see if there’s any chlorine in the pool today!!”

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a sad from seeing your user name :( We can help make it fun again. You next "job" with the pool is to order a good test kit. I know...........more money out the window BUT consider this..........you will not be paying for those pacs again so it is all good.

For now go get some liquid chlorine so we can keep your water clear.

Kim:kim:

You have a very large above ground pool. Quite the investment! I'd suggest the best test kit for a pool that size is the TF-100. It won't steer you wrong in any fashion. It has the amount of reagents you need, in fact may even last up to two years of testing if no problems. Reagents often offered on sale once or twice a year, for refills by the company who puts this kit together with our method of pool care in mind, in fact.
www.tftestkits.net

Maddie :flower:

It’s funny because I had not the foggiest idea about pool care in August, just knew I always wanted one. Went to check out what Watson’s had goin on one day and ended up buying. There’s been some bumps in the road for sure but the chemistry of the water is what I’m liking about it I must say?. Now that my water seems to be behaving, I noticed some golf ball sized divots in the floor (and boot prints) the water has not really warmed up enough to get in since it’s so late in the season so I’m having trouble getting in there to check things out really well. I’ve also noticed two other causes for concern so I called Watson’s they are sending an installer out tomorrow to look over things. I know this isn’t how the floor should have settled.
- ordered test kit today!?
Thanks guys!!!!!!

Reactions: Pv2 and mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.