Chlorine to high? Just tested and unsure of next step.

Kuga

Nov 6, 2019
Washington
I recently bought a house with a 20k Gallon pool and after the advice of the TFP bought a TF-100 to test the water. I feel like the chlorine levels are much to high, and from my previous test kits/strips they always seemed high. I live in Washington State where its been fairly cold and cloudy. I run an automatic chlorinator which I had turned closed to see if it would help lower the chlorine.

The readings are as follows:

FC: 12.5

CC: 0

PH: 7.4

CH: 900

TA: 90

CYA: 30

Any advice on what I need to do next would be greatly appreciated!

FC is not the worse. Let it fall. How are you chlorinating? Liquid chlorine, bleach, tabs, SWG? Make sure to update your signature. Let the FC fall and don't add any more. You are right at the SLAM level. See FC/CYA Levels. What's really interesting is that high CH level. Is your water really hard? If not, someone has been using lots of Cal-Hypo products to boast the FC.

I just realized you mentioned automatic chlorination in your first post. Yeah, close that for sure. Over the winter, if you don't close/cover, you might consider taking advantage of fresh rainwater to replace the elevated CH in your pool. By spring you might be much better.

Last edited:
K,

There is just nothing to worry about...

This time of year, I doubt you will be getting in the pool, and even if you did, with a CYA level of 30 an FC of 12 is still ok to swim in..

Just keep the chlorinator off and let the FC drop on its own... This time of the year it might take a little while, but not big deal.

Thanks,

Jim R.

FC is not the worse. Let it fall. How are you chlorinating? Liquid chlorine, bleach, tabs, SWG? Make sure to update your signature. Let the FC fall and don't add any more. You are right at the SLAM level. See FC/CYA Levels. What's really interesting is that high CH level. Is your water really hard? If not, someone has been using lots of Cal-Hypo products to boast the FC.
I have an auto chlorinator which I've closed for almost a week now that uses stabilized chlorine tabs. I should note that I havent put anything into the pool yet since I took it over, I do know the sellers did have a pool guy come in and "balance" it maybe a week or two before I took it over.

As for the CH, I did test it using the TF-100 kit. I was going to test everything again tonight to double check the numbers of my first test. It could be I did something wrong.

Thanks for the advice, Ill work on updating my signature.

K,

There is just nothing to worry about...

This time of year, I doubt you will be getting in the pool, and even if you did, with a CYA level of 30 an FC of 12 is still ok to swim in..

Just keep the chlorinator off and let the FC drop on its own... This time of the year it might take a little while, but not big deal.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the advice Jim!

I do know the sellers did have a pool guy come in and "balance" it maybe a week or two before I took it over.

full

You'll get it. :goodjob:

Reactions: Kuga
How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!

What’s your current water temperature? The CYA test can read low in cold water temps. 30 is low (but would be great) for a pool chlorinated using tabs.

You shouldn't close a tab feeder with tabs inside.

Once the tabs get wet, they will continue to dissolve and create a very acidic, toxic and corrosive liquid and gas mixture.

If you open the feeder, you should be very careful not to get gassed by the chlorine gas.

You should probably open the feeder valve to let it flush out before opening the lid.

The best choice would have been to remove the tabs from the feeder.

Then, let them dry before storing in a separate plastic container.

Even after drying, the tabs can produce toxic chlorine gas.

Tabs should never be left out where kids or pets can get to them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You shouldn't close a tab feeder with tabs inside.

Once the tabs get wet, they will continue to dissolve and create a very acidic, toxic and corrosive liquid and gas mixture.

If you open the feeder, you should be very careful not to get gassed by the chlorine gas.

You should probably open the feeder valve to let it flush out before opening the lid.

The best choice would have been to remove the tabs from the feeder.

Then, let them dry before storing in a separate plastic container.

Even after drying, the tabs can produce toxic chlorine gas.

Tabs should never be left out where kids or pets can get to them.

Got it, Thanks James! I will take necessary precautions when taking them out. Any tips on what to use to take them out? Would tongs work?

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!
I've read through most of these and more in Pool School. Thank you :)

Its probably in the 40's? I'm just guessing since I dont have a thermometer. What would be low enough to affect the readings?
40 is a bit chilly. You can grab a new sample at some point, bring it indoors for about 30 min to get closer to room temp, then go back out under the sunlight and try a new reading. May effect the outcome slightly. Yes, some long tongs or like item should work to get the wet tabs out if you haven't gotten them already.

Reactions: Kuga
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.