Chemistry for large Water Fountain?

Jan 27, 2018
Mobile, Al
Hello All,
Can you please help me come up with a plan in maintaining a large outdoor water fountain? This is an old cast iron/steel water fountain at work that has about 3,000 gallon pool. We have a large pump with filters and an ionizer for it. BTW, the ionizer is kept at a very low setting because it will cause staining if turned up. In addition, they add a little bit of algae guard and/or bleach when it starts to look poorly. But that's it.

So we don't really have a maintenance plan or testing method as it has to be drained and thoroughly cleaned on occasion. I'm trying to come up with a better routine with chemicals that won't harm the cast iron and steel components of the fountain.

So how should we go about keeping this fountain and pool clean?

1) Should the water be monitored just as with a swimming pool? Can a simple test kit be used in lieu of an overly complicated test kit?

2) Are there certain chemicals that should be avoided?

3) Can a salt water system be added? This would be a nice option as it would help minimize the man hours needed to maintain it. What affect would it have on the metal parts though?

We are having to install a new ionizer because the current one is done. So what should I do in the meantime as we just cleaned and re-filled the pool?

God Bless,
Ralph

Last edited:
I believe they make pucks, likely trichlor?, for fountains. Best is using them and just dumping 1/3 of the water every couple weeks.

The ionizer adds copper. That is what is staining. It is a good algaecide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.