South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
hi all, i’m a bit baffled by this and hoping for some advice. last week i noticed bubbles/foam around the fountain in our shallow pool area (picture below). they started forming right after i did a black algecide treatment, but has now continued a week later.

i also went to clean my cartridge filters, and found one of them imploded, with the plastic inside broken in. i ended up putting it back in because it wasn’t completely ripped through as i wait for the new ones to arrive.

could this be a result of the busted filter? remaining chemicals in the fountain opening? something else i’m not thinking of?

Attachments

• IMG_4289.jpeg
    IMG_4289.jpeg
    647 KB · Views: 13
I think the bubbles are coming from the chemicals in the algaecide you added.

What was the algaecide and its ingredients you used?

How do you chlorinate your pool?

What test kit do you use?

Post a set of test results from YOUR test kit in the format:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Reactions: Mdragger88
I think the bubbles are coming from the chemicals in the algaecide you added.

What was the algaecide and its ingredients you used?

How do you chlorinate your pool?

What test kit do you use?

Post a set of test results from YOUR test kit in the format:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
unfortunately i don’t have my own test kit (waiting for it to come) so posting leslie’s results. here is the product i used: https://lesliespool.com/leslies-black-algae-killer-1-qt/14007.html?

i chlorinate with cal hypo

IMG_4319.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
🤦‍♀️ I like how they just sold you a bottle of copper after they said “your copper is too high - you need to buy this sequestrant & culator!” 😒
The Algaecide is likely the cause of the foam but foaming is the least of your worries.
The only way to actually rid your pool of copper is to replace the water with fresh & stop adding copper containing products.
Afterwards,
Here’s the real solution for black algae
👇

🤦‍♀️ I like how they just sold you a bottle of copper after they said “your copper is too high - you need to buy this sequestrant & culator!” 😒
The Algaecide is likely the cause of the foam but foaming is the least of your worries.
The only way to actually rid your pool of copper is to replace the water with fresh & stop adding copper containing products.
Afterwards,
Here’s the real solution for black algae
👇
ha! this is why i’m here, to take control over my destiny.

to clarify, this test was 4 days after adding the algicide, not before.

will the copper eventually fade? is that what’s causing the foam?

What test kit are you waiting for?

I suggest you do not follow Leslie's recommendations anymore and review...

while waiting for your test kit.

You cannot begin to treat black algae until you first take care of the regular algae with our SLAM Process

ha! this is why i’m here, to take control over my destiny.

to clarify, this test was 4 days after adding the algicide, not before.

will the copper eventually fade? is that what’s causing the foam?
The other ingredients in the Algaecide are likely to blame for the foam.
The foam will dissipate eventually with adequate chlorine & filtration but the copper will certainly remain in the water until removed & replaced with fresh water.

following up on this. it’s now been almost 3 weeks and i’m still seeing some foam when agitated. i have my taylor test kit and here are latest readings:

CYA-30

FC- 3

TA - 100

CH- 350

ph: 7.4

is it just a waiting game at this point to let the algicide wear off?

Your fc is on the lower end - raising that up to high target 🎯 or a scootch higher may help oxidize whats left.
Have you cleaned your filter?

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No sense in riding on the edge of minimum all the time- the downsides are too costly & its quite the tight rope. Nobody’s got time for that.
Running fc a little higher on the other hand has no downsides really.
The prescription for black algae is keeping fc between high target & slam level anyway as outlined in the article above in post#4.
Isn’t black algae the reason you added the dreaded algaecide concoction in the first place?

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.