chemicals costco

Depends on how you define a good deal. If you are comparing prices between the pool store and Costco, probably so. But to me that is a horrible deal, as the money saved still wouldn't pay for the replacement of water and headache of fighting algae. I would rather go for the 3-pack of bleach if you really want to buy chemicals from Costco. However, Walmart is cheaper (=

You need to check out pool school, a link at the top of the page. Specifically Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool as we do not recommend using pucks or powders as a primary source of chlorination for our water. Plain ole bleach or liquid chlorine is the key to a trouble free pool.

I saw the Chlorox Blue bucket of tabs at Costco last week.

And you really don't want to use them because they contain copper (that little trade secret part they call "Blue") as well as stabilizer.

Your pool will risk stains developing from the copper and your CYA will be too high and require draining down the road. Bad news on all accounts.

NO one at TFP recommends the routine use of any granular or puck product.

Have you considered using liquid chlorine or putting a salt water chlorine generator in?

Have you read some of the pool school articles? Start here: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Yippee :flower:

$79 for 80 (~40 pounds) is $2 per pound. That is a good price. If your pool is new, you can use the tabs to help bring up your CYA level to target. After CYA is at target, quit using the tabs, except for when you are away on vacation etc. Liquid chlorine (bleach) won't raise your CYA further, which is a good thing.

Depends on how you define a good deal. If you are comparing prices between the pool store and Costco, probably so. But to me that is a horrible deal, as the money saved still wouldn't pay for the replacement of water and headache of fighting algae. I would rather go for the 3-pack of bleach if you really want to buy chemicals from Costco. However, Walmart is cheaper (=

You need to check out pool school, a link at the top of the page. Specifically Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool as we do not recommend using pucks or powders as a primary source of chlorination for our water. Plain ole bleach or liquid chlorine is the key to a trouble free pool.
+1

Stick with bleach. Nothing but chlorine and a trace amount of salt.

While the tablets could be used to raise CYA, it will take a very long time in your pool.

Personally, I would NOT use tabs fro Costco. I'm a member and buy everything I can there, but.....

Their tabs are "Clorox Pool&Spa™ XtraBlue 3" Chlorinating Tablets - 40lbs".

Any time I see the "blue" in a pool chemical name I immediately think they have added copper.

Unless that can be dis-proven I would shy away.

I do use bleach for most of my chlorine addition, but I do use tabs to bring the CYA up when needed, like after our really wet spring where I had to pump a lot of water out of the pool.

I was looking for confirmation about the Chlorox Blue products that I shy away from and found this mention by ChemGeek-
in this thread: Mustard algae gone

"As noted in this MSDS, the Clorox Pool & Spa Algaecide Xtra Blue is 3.3% copper. Copper is an effective algaecide, but it has a serious downside of staining pool surfaces, particularly plaster surfaces. This is more likely to occur when the copper concentration gets higher or the pH gets higher. "

So this is the algaecide, but I *thought* their other products contained copper too? I gotta research this more.....

Yip :flower:

I bought a container of the pucks from Costco prior to finding TFP last year. I still use them when CYA dips and/or I need to go out of town.

I wrote Clorox directly after seeing a similar post to Yippy, and here is the response their customer service gave me:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Clorox™ Pool & Spa®. That product does not contain copper.

If you have any other question or concerns please feel free to reach out.

Thanks,
Clorox™ Pool & Spa®
1-800-767-7665
www.CloroxPool.com

Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:44 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Message received from the Clorox App

First Name:
Last Name:
Email Address: [email protected]
Phone Number: N/A
Question regarding Chlorox XTra Blue 6 in 1 3" tablets. Is there any copper at all in this product?

I'll freely admit that they may be mistaken, so I'd be interested if anyone has further information or actual test results from the product. I'd hate to be adding copper to the pool. :)

Going thru the safety data sheets for Clorox XtraBlue granular Pool Shock and Clorox XtraBlue Algaecide show *both* contain copper.

Still researching the tablets.

Because Copper containing products are often labeled as "Blu" or "blue" I distrust all the products in that product line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just received an email response from the Clorox Customer Care line....I copied in in full:
[FONT=&quot]Hello Madeline,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting Clorox™ Pool & Spa®. All of our XtraBlue products do contain a small amount of copper. Our line “Active 99” does not contain any copper additives. This includes our Active 99 tablets and shock.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to contact us.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clorox™ Pool & Spa®[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-800-SOS-POOL[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Monday – Friday, 8am – 6pm EST.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]www.CloroxPool.com[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Office: 678-502-4854 (Direct)[/FONT]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.