Check valve for heater

Is a check valve between the heater outlet and swg necessary?
While not absolutely necessary, if the installation manual calls for one it is best to install it. That way, if there is ever a warranty issue it can't be blamed on an improper installation. CMP does call for one in their manual. Circupool's RJ-Plus manual has one in the plumbing diagram.

L,

If you have a SWCG and a Tab feeder you need the check valve..

If you only have a SWCG, then there is just no need for a check valve.. At all.. Ever.

The check valve is to protect the heater from acidic backwards flow from a tab feeder when the pump is off.. If you only have a SWCG, there is nothing to flow backwards. The check valve has nothing to do with the SWCG, whether it is shown in the manual or not.

Heater manuals show a check valve because most pools have a tab feeder.

Thanks,

Jim R.

To protect against warranty issues for some systems. I never really saw a reason for one.
CMP instructs they be used with their system. As the installer, I have to follow them or I accept the liability. A warranty service comes out, inspects the installation, denies the claim if not done according to the manual. It happens.

From the manual:
2. INSTALLATION LOCATION
a. It is recommended to install the salt cell installed as the last piece of pool equipment in line, on the return to the pool,after the heater. (See illustration 1 on next page)
b. Installing horizontally will ensure the flow sensor remains submerged.
c. If installed vertically, the cell cap must be on top.
d. Always use a check valve before the cell to prevent chlorine backflow.
e. All fittings are 2 inch Socket.
f. NONE: Do not install on pools using a stainless steel liner or stainless steel plumbing.

Reactions: Newdude
While not absolutely necessary, if the installation manual calls for one it is best to install it. That way, if there is ever a warranty issue it can't be blamed on an improper installation.

My pool installer did not install one even though the original plumbing diagram we agreed on had it there. One of his workers that installs automation said that there needed to be one there. I asked the pool installer to find out if Pentair would warranty heater work if check valve was not present. He has not gotten back with me yet, but the worker is wanting me to mark where I want it installed. I don’t want it there unless absolutely necessary or recommended by Pentair. I need to do some research on Pentair installation requirements.