Cheap, Simple web-enabled pool automation with Google Assistant Integration

skola28

Jul 16, 2020
Dallas, TX
Album Link with Diagram and short demo video:

Using a SONOFF 4CHPROR3, I have integrated the control of my Filter Pump, Booster Pump, and two Jandy JVA Actuators.
I have a Jandy Aqualink RS (older) which the pool guy wanted $$$$$$ to change out to a simple web interface with very few relays expandability.

Reusing the DPST relays, 24VAC Transformer, and Jandy JVAs. Most of the wiring is already complete -- just have to remove the Jandy Control Board and strip the leads. Too bad the relays aren't 24VAC or it would be even easier!

$28 SONOFF 4CHPROR3
$18 24VDC Power Supply
$9 SONOFF TH16
$3.50 SONOFF Temp Sensor-DS18B20

About an hour and a half to setup HW and another hour to setup the SW.

The 4th channel is for lights. I also added a SONOFF TH16 to automate the heater temperature and use the built in Google Assistant routines to 'Turn on the Hot Tub'.

Left side of the channel 'triangles' is the Normally Open (NO). Right side is Normally Closed (NC) while the center is common.
Pool Automation Wiring Diagram with Heater and Lights.png
PoolAutomationInstall.jpg
(Note, this image is out of date as it doesn't show the lighting circuit and the TH16 heater controller)

EDIT: Updated wiring diagram and description to include lighting and heater circuits.

Attachments

• Pool Automation Wiring Diagram - SAFE.png
    Pool Automation Wiring Diagram - SAFE.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Pool Automation Wiring Diagram 3.png
    Pool Automation Wiring Diagram 3.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Added a picture to the OP of the install so far. I also updated the schematic to drive the booster/cleaner relay power via the 'on' side of the filter pump. That way, the booster pump cannot be switched on without the filter pump being on.

Reactions: cowboycasey
This is really cool, I'd like to do something similar.

What type of pump is this controller, just a single speed pump I assume?

Pentair VSF. Its a brand new variable speed pump, that basically gets controlled as a single speed pump.

What I've recently come across, is that the variable speed thing is a bit of a marketing ploy. Sure, you can run it slower, and maybe your chlorination system needs water moving over a long period of time to work properly, but running a big motor (3.5HP) slowly, ensures you are unable to run it efficiently. </rant>

I am considering expanding the system at some point to use RS485 to talk to the pump to be able to change settings, but at the moment, its really unnecessary --- just like the Variable Speed Pump :)

Pentair VSF. Its a brand new variable speed pump, that basically gets controlled as a single speed pump.

What I've recently come across, is that the variable speed thing is a bit of a marketing ploy. Sure, you can run it slower, and maybe your chlorination system needs water moving over a long period of time to work properly, but running a big motor (3.5HP) slowly, ensures you are unable to run it efficiently. </rant>

I am considering expanding the system at some point to use RS485 to talk to the pump to be able to change settings, but at the moment, its really unnecessary --- just like the Variable Speed Pump

That has got to be the biggest pile of bull feathers I have ever seen.. :mrgreen: I run my pump 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month..

Mind telling us how your comparison works??

Keep in mind that there are several reason to have a VS pump and the cost to run is just one of them.. a lot of pools need different pump speeds to make their water features work the way they want.. Sound is another great reason.. My pump runs at about 1200 RPM, most of the time.. At that speed you have to almost touch the pump just to make sure it is actually running. But even at that speed, the pump moves plenty of water to turn on my salt system and make sure skimmers work.

I've used single speed pumps and now VS pumps and will never, ever go back to the single speed pumps again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Edge70
Mind telling us how your comparison works??

Let me start of by saying, I'm not an expert -- My understanding that the most efficient way to move water with an electric motor is when you utilize the full power of the motor. And by efficient I mean best L/$. That said, if you run a 3.5HP pump, at the flowrate of X L/min when you could use a 1HP pump to move the same X L/min, you would be saving money.

I agree, maybe you have different speeds required for your setup. Maybe you run your pump for $20/mon 24/7 --- Seems crazy, but maybe! Just think, you could run it for $19/mon if you had appropriately sized motors! I digress.

I have no water features, and the pool guys replaced my 2-speed pump with a variable speed/flow pump. B/c I have a Jandy Aqualink, and this guy sells Pentair (and he was wrong when he told me it was compatible), now I have a variable speed pump that has to basically be run as a single speed pump if I want to control it remotely.

Also, please be gentle on me :) I'm just 'diving' into this after my pool guy really irritated me buy selling me a pump that doesn't work as advertised.

Reactions: Hal3

Sorry that you got pushed into a pump that is not working for your specific situation.. I am surprised they did not install another 2-speed pump, as they save almost as much as a VS pump does. I am not a Jandy guy, but we have a number of members with Jandy automation that run the IntelliFlo.. Maybe there is a version issue with your system.. :scratch:

Thanks for the feedback and good luck with your project,

Jim R.

Sorry that you got pushed into a pump that is not working for your specific situation.. I am surprised they did not install another 2-speed pump, as they save almost as much as a VS pump does. I am not a Jandy guy, but we have a number of members with Jandy automation that run the IntelliFlo.. Maybe there is a version issue with your system.. :scratch:

Thanks for the feedback and good luck with your project,

Jim R.

Definitely seems to be a version issue -- mines too old to allow configuration of the "One Touch". It doesn't 'understand VSP' - so the 'best' they could do is hook it up with power controlled by the One Touch / Jandy Aqualink RS. I mean, the alternative is that I run the program solely on the Intelliflo VSF itself -- but then I can't control on/off when I need the spa/heater/etc.

And now you know the whole story for why I went and built my own. It's working great btw, and I spent very little money (comparatively). The worst part is, my kids now know how to turn the hot tub on whenever they want by just telling Google to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: onlyjeeps

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice work on your system, if you want to interface to the pump via RS485 you can use the following instructions to control pump speeds.

Reactions: skola28
Using a SONOFF 4CHPROR3
Very nice set up. I just started to play with some automation. The inching feature of that relay looks very useful for the jandy valve actuators. The fact the actuators only allow for 2 set points is a very big disappointment in this day and age. I have installed 2 wall switches to control my waterfall valve and my skimmer / main drain valve. They are 3 position switches (on-off-on) that allow me to shut off the power to valve in the middle position. This way if I want incremental control over the valve I can simply put it on and count out a few seconds (19 seconds gives me a quarter turn) then switch it off. I can now see how the inching feature of those relays could accomplish the exact same to give me unlimited flow control through the valve.

Last edited:
Nice work on your system, if you want to interface to the pump via RS485 you can use the following instructions to control pump speeds.

Am I reading this right that this is how you would control a RS485 device using an Arduino? Have you used this yourself?

Am I reading this right that this is how you would control a RS485 device using an Arduino? Have you used this yourself?

I have not. Connecting Arduino to the RS485 bus is straightforward, but communication with each device has to be reversed engineered. This has been done with the Intelliflo including the one mentioned.

The fact the actuators only allow for 2 set points is a very big disappointment in this day and age.

Pentair produced the IntelliValve to allow for incremental control via RS485. Unfortunately nobody has been able to decode the communications to date.

Last edited:
I have not. Connecting Arduino to the RS485 bus is straightforward, but communication with each device has to be reversed engineered. This has been done with the Intelliflo including the one mentioned.
Connecting the RS485 to an Arduino is just using a USB and cable correct?

Do you have a link to the reverse engineered intelliflo for the Arduino?

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, I can create a new post if people would like.

Last edited:
Reactions: skola28 and Cwiggs
Very nice set up. I just started to play with some automation. The inching feature of that relay looks very useful for the jandy valve actuators. The fact the actuators only allow for 2 set points is a very big disappointment in this day and age. I have installed 2 wall switches to control my waterfall valve and my skimmer / main drain valve. They are 3 position switches (on-off-on) that allow me to shut off the power to valve in the middle position. This way if I want incremental control over the valve I can simply put it on and count out a few seconds (19 seconds gives me a quarter turn) then switch it off. I can now see how the inching feature of those relays could accomplish the exact same to give me unlimited flow control through the valve.

Interesting use of the inching feature. I really only use the 2 positions, but I can see that it could be potentially useful to have a 3rd. You'd have to use 2 separate channels instead of integrating into one channel as I have done above, but shouldn't be a big deal.

I have done this using a Raspberry Pi. Including moving all my valve actuators and setting the temp on my heater.

You can check it out on the build thread In my signature.

Reactions: Cwiggs
Album Link with Diagram and short demo video:

Using a SONOFF 4CHPROR3, I have integrated the control of my Filter Pump, Booster Pump, and two Jandy JVA Actuators.
I have a Jandy Aqualink RS (older) which the pool guy wanted $$$$$$ to change out to a simple web interface with very few relays expandability.

Reusing the DPST relays, 24VAC Transformer, and Jandy JVAs. Most of the wiring is already complete -- just have to remove the Jandy Control Board and strip the leads. Too bady the relays aren't 24VAC or it would be even easier!
$28 SONOFF 4CHPROR3
$18 24VDC Power Supply
About an hour to setup HW and another hour to setup the SW.

The 4th channel is open at the moment for lights/or a heater. I'm likely going to add a SONOFF TH16 to automate the heater temperature and use the built in Google Assistant routines to 'Turn on the Hot Tub'.

Left side of the channel 'triangles' is the Normally Open (NO). Right side is Normally Closed (NC) while the center is common.
View attachment 155163
View attachment 155164
Great Job! Would you happen to have a video that step through your re-wiring process including power source? I was hoping to compare your step by step against the wiring pix to get a better understanding.

Great Job! Would you happen to have a video that step through your re-wiring process including power source? I was hoping to compare your step by step against the wiring pix to get a better understanding.

Hey Pool7 - I just uploaded a 'quick' walkthrough of the power system. I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for, but I'm also happy to explain further if you have specific questions. Keep in mind, I'm a complete amateur at this, and so I probably made several mistakes!

Link below, and I additionally added the video to the Google Photo album that you linked. Be aware that Google sometimes takes quite a while for the video to process, so give it about 30 min.

Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support