challenges to install 400K Raypak

Apr 4, 2017
Arlington TX
got the raypak 400k (actually 360K cupro) $1980 delivered in 5 business days to Dallas

BYPASS valve??? The raypak manual states an external bypass valve is needed if it will see more than 125 gpm. Says it complements the built in bypass valve to eliminate needless pressure drop through the heater and accompanying reduction in flow rate to spa jets. Seems my classic intelliflo vs will produce 125 gpm at 3110 rpm. I really only plan to use the heater for the spa and currently have the spa set to default 2800 rpm. But I guess it won't hurt to add it and have something to tweak if necessary. Is this what everyone does?

Here is what I have learned about gas lines. Forget about running the recommended 1.5 - 2 inch gas line required if you have a standard 1/2 lb meter. In my case previous owner had upgraded to a larger meter (424 cfh) for the original heater and ran a 1 inch line but was still only 1/2lb meter and 424 cfh will barely run 400K btu heater. Get the gas company to install a 2lb meter and after the meter put a regulator going onto the house and another regulator at the pool heater. This allows me to keep the 1 inch pipe going to the heater and have regulated pressure as if it was next to the meter. Tip if you see a regulator (big round disk thing) in front of your meter there is probably enough pressure to upgrade to 2lb meter. Atmos Gas was ready to come out tomorrow and make the change for free. Still need to pay a plumber to add the regulators and make the connections to the heater cost $300-400 estimate but this guy spent 30 minutes on the phone teaching me everything I just shared.

Now just need to figure out how to connect and control temperature from Jandy iAqualink.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.