Cartridge Filters replaced annually

agail4

May 19, 2022
Eastern Oklahoma
Please help... Each year after we open our pool I have to replace my cartridge filters, or clean them every day. After opening and when algae is all cleared up, I put in new cartridges and they last all summer w/minimal cleaning requirements. Then the next year when I open, the pressure climbs to 10 lbs above opening pressure w/in 24 hours. What am I doing wrong at opening? The first few years I did not have this issue, and now I just come to expect it. We winterize the pool about November of each year and open in May. I am in Eastern Oklahoma.

Hey agail and Welcome !!!

Carts should last years and years. I moved with mine on 9 and while they were probably getting close to time, they showed no signs of it.

Clarifiers and floccs from the poolstore will destroy them. If none of that was ever used, it's simply an opening algae problem and you need to start the year with a SLAM Process

Reactions: agail4
It may have something to do with when and how you close your pool.

Additionally, at closing: do you pull the cartridges, clean them, let them dry out and then put them back in the clean filter housing?

When properly cared for, filter cartridges should last for many years.

How are you testing your pool water?
How are you chlorinating?

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing help to you without needing to ask each time.

Hey agail and Welcome !!!

Carts should last years and years. I moved with mine on 9 and while they were probably getting close to time, they showed no signs of it.

Clarifiers and floccs from the poolstore will destroy them. If none of that was ever used, it's simply an opening algae problem and you need to start the year with a SLAM Process
Thank you so much for your reply, I have used clarifiers in the past - recommended by pool store. Sometimes I wonder how much they even know!! I will follow the SLAM process in the future! I would imagine my biggest problem is opening algae issue!

It may have something to do with when and how you close your pool.

Additionally, at closing: do you pull the cartridges, clean them, let them dry out and then put them back in the clean filter housing?

When properly cared for, filter cartridges should last for many years.

How are you testing your pool water?
How are you chlorinating?

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing help to you without needing to ask each time.
I pull the cartridges and store in garage. Testing at pool store. Salt chlorinator. Thanks for the reply and info on the signature! You guys are great!

Welcome to the forum.
From your signature "Pool Store Testing"

That is your biggest problem.

Test Kits Compared

@agail4 - yup, using pool store testing is the issue. It is unreliable, more often than not incorrect and a total waste of your time.

If you want to take control of your pool and save money at the same time, stay away from the pool store for wqter testing and their magic potion "fixes".

I replaced my cartridge after about 18 years. Yeah, you’ll clean the cartridge one or more times per day in the spring, then maybe once every week or two throughout summer. I read here years ago, and I’ve done it a number of times. After the spring clean and the pool is summer stable, fill a 30 gallon plastic trash can with water enough to submerge the cart, and add a box of Cascade dishwasher detergent, put the cart in overnight, that’ll clean up all the organics, then empty out the can refill with water and some muriatic acid, I used a half or one gallon, I forget. That’ll clean any calcium scale. Rinse well, the cartridge is like new.
And get a good test kit and take ownership of your own chemistry.

I replaced my cartridge after about 18 years. Yeah, you’ll clean the cartridge one or more times per day in the spring, then maybe once every week or two throughout summer. I read here years ago, and I’ve done it a number of times. After the spring clean and the pool is summer stable, fill a 30 gallon plastic trash can with water enough to submerge the cart, and add a box of Cascade dishwasher detergent, put the cart in overnight, that’ll clean up all the organics, then empty out the can refill with water and some muriatic acid, I used a half or one gallon, I forget. That’ll clean any calcium scale. Rinse well, the cartridge is like new.
And get a good test kit and take ownership of your own chemistry.
I have tried cleaning them with muriatic acid but still had the same high pressure - no flow issue. I can not clean filters daily! holy smokes! My new filters were just delivered today, so ready to install them. I will try SLAM next opening and see if that was my problem and no more clarifiers! Thanks for the tips!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@agail4 - yup, using pool store testing is the issue. It is unreliable, more often than not incorrect and a total waste of your time.

If you want to take control of your pool and save money at the same time, stay away from the pool store for wqter testing and their magic potion "fixes".
Gosh I wish I would have found you guys sooner... They pool store always makes me nervous!! I self treated and tested first time ever last year and things went really well Took my water in for testing at the pool store this year and they said wow your water looks good! I'm ordering a real testing kit! You guys rock!

Reactions: proavia
Post a few pics of your equipment pad - from a few different angles - so we can get an idea of your setup.

As for getting a test kit, I recommend the TF-100 or TF-Pro - both available thru TFKestkits.net
These kits have more of the reagents residential pool owner use.
Test Kits Compared

It’s a lot less effort to just not close/open your pool. I am in Tulsa and it’s not difficult to leave it open year round. Might have to run 24/7 a bit during the cold snaps but that’s what freeze protect us for. Takes minimal chlorine and you don’t deal with an unbalanced mess when you open.

You can open earlier too.
I usually open first weekend in March.
Never had algae problem, except we had a warmer than usual winter. Algae was just getting started when I opened this year. Slammed for a week then it was back to Crystal clear.

You have a cartridge filter. Cartridge filters don't have a backwash valve. The big black plastic cap at the base of your filter is to drain the filter when you plan on cleaning it.

I'm guessing the 3 red tee handled ball valves are for the water features.

It appears the 3way Jandy valve on the suction side - between right hand pump and skimmer/makn drain pipes - is set to not allow any water to be pulled into the pump. Is that how its set when winterized? In normal operation, the OFF (opposite the handle) should only be able to be set between skimmer and main drain - and never with OFF toward the pump.

Is the pump on the left side for your IFCS? I've just never understood why PBs would send unfiltered water thru an infloor water distribution valve and out thru a relatively small orifice to clean the pool.

You have a cartridge filter. Cartridge filters don't have a backwash valve. The big black plastic cap at the base of your filter is to drain the filter when you plan on cleaning it.

I'm guessing the 3 red tee handled ball valves are for the water features.

It appears the 3way Jandy valve on the suction side - between right hand pump and skimmer/makn drain pipes - is set to not allow any water to be pulled into the pump. Is that how its set when winterized? In normal operation, the OFF (opposite the handle) should only be able to be set between skimmer and main drain - and never with OFF toward the pump.

Is the pump on the left side for your IFCS? I've just never understood why PBs would send unfiltered water thru an infloor water distribution valve and out thru a relatively small orifice to clean the pool.
Thank you! My husband also just told me the same about no backwash. The valves were shut in because he was about to put new filters in. Yes the pump on the left is infloor. It was actually replaced last year and just a 1hp. My water is crystal clear! Just some dirt in the corners where the in floor just can’t push. If I could just figure out why I ruin filters each year! (Likely determined opening)

As long as he's out there doing other pool duties, might as well have him brush those corners. ;):eek:

What is ruined on the cartridges? Ends? Bands? Filter material?
How are you closing and draining, cleaning the filter and cartridges?
Are the cartridges totally dry before storing or putting back in filter at closing?
Do the cartridges remain in the filter all winter?

As long as he's out there doing other pool duties, might as well have him brush those corners. ;):eek:

What is ruined on the cartridges? Ends? Bands? Filter material?
How are you closing and draining, cleaning the filter and cartridges?
Are the cartridges totally dry before storing or putting back in filter at closing?
Do the cartridges remain in the filter all winter?
He did and even vacuumed! The pool is looking better each day!

Cartridge: the filter material has to be the issue, the structure is fine. We just blow out the lines and insert the plugs. Pull filters and store in the garage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.