Central NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
I've had my pool for a few weeks now and have no reason to believe I'm at the point that I need to clean my cartridge filter, but I have questions after installing a fountain and seeing that the filter pressure changes based on the flow through the fountain/bypass unit. When the pump was new, pressures were 2psi and 14psi at low and high speeds but now I can get pressure as low as 2psi at the high pump setting since the fountain unit has such a larger opening than the standard eyeball return port.

So I guess the question is, with such low restriction obtainable based on the adjustment of the fountain, how will I know when to service the filter? Should I put the factory return eye back on weekly or bi-weekly just to check my pressure from a know start point?

I clean mine 3 times a year. When the pollen is done falling, at mid season and closing time. It’s never particularly needed cleaning but I like the piece of mind for 20 minutes of work.

Reactions: BowserB
Record your clean filter pressure at a specific rpm. Then when the filter pressure rises by 25% at that same rpm, clean the filter.

Also, get a pressure washer attachment for the hose. You can buy one specifically made for cleaning the filter but they are typically more money once you mention the word ‘pool’. The thin fan of water has more power than a standard nozzle and gets into the pleats better. An actual pressure washer is too strong and will collapse the filter media.

Also, get a pressure washer attachment for the hose. You can buy one specifically made for cleaning the filter but they are typically more money once you mention the word ‘pool’. The thin fan of water has more power than a standard nozzle and gets into the pleats better. An actual pressure washer is too strong and will collapse the filter media.
I'll have to check that out. I have amazing water pressure though and am actually afraid of damaging the filter when I do need to clean it. We filled our 13.5k gal pool in 22hrs.

Record your clean filter pressure at a specific rpm. Then when the filter pressure rises by 25% at that same rpm, clean the filter.
I did see this recommendation in the pool school section but found that my pressure changes drastically as I adjust the fountain so it kinda throws that out the window since I don't have a constant orifice size in the outlet. I guess the way to go is to put in the factory outlet nozzle occasionally and check the pressure with that since it was used for my baseline.

I'll have to check that out. I have amazing water pressure though and am actually afraid of damaging the filter when I do need to clean it. We filled our 13.5k gal pool in 22hrs.

It should be fine. My hose is hooked up to my irrigation pump. It has a lot more pressure than my house, but still nowhere near an actual pressure washer. You’ll know right away if it’s too much. If it gently separates the pleats you are good. If it smushes them all, back away a few inches.

Reactions: Rumbleehockey03
Rumble,

It is just not that big a deal... Our 25% rule is pretty generic and covers all kinds of pools and plumbing configurations.. It is a recommendation and not really a rule.

In my mind, the key is not filter pressure, but rather the amount of flow going back to the pool... As long as you have plenty of water returning to your pool, then I would not worry about cleaning the filter more than once a year. If you can "feel" a decrease in the water flowing back to your pool, it is for sure time to clean your filter.

You should also use some logic here... While I could go a whole year without cleaning my filter, I tend to do it twice a year. Since cleaning the cartridges gets me wet, I don't want to end up having to do it in December or January.. So, I do it in the Spring and in the Fall when I don't mind getting wet.

Each pool, and pool owner, is different, so just do what works best for you...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm coming up on my third cleaning in less than a year. Yes, OCD runs in my family. This will be the first cleaning since adopting skimmer socks, so I'm curious to see how the four Pentair C&C 420 cartridges look. The last cleaning I used a thing called Filter Flosser. It's a curved sprayer with 16 tiny jets that converge about 5 inches from the spray head. I use it mostly closer than that with a side to side wiggle while moving the nozzle from top to bottom. The wiggle allows the sprays to get between all the pleats. I can back off to use the concentrated spray when necessary. So far, with a Simple Green pre-spray, it seems to work fast and well. Note, I put a small iron table over a drain grate to sit the filter cartridges on, as a back saver. Below is a link to the Filter Flosser at Amazon. I only worry about the pressure gauge if it jumps unexpectedly.

I'm coming up on my third cleaning in less than a year. Yes, OCD runs in my family. This will be the first cleaning since adopting skimmer socks, so I'm curious to see how the four Pentair C&C 420 cartridges look.
You're gonna like what you see. My cartridges had almost nothing in them when I first cleaned them after installing hair nets in the skimmers.
The last cleaning I used a thing called Filter Flosser. It's a curved sprayer with 16 tiny jets that converge about 5 inches from the spray head.
I like the Aqua Comb because it actually touches the filter pleats and mechanically gets out junk that may be lodged in there.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rumble,

It is just not that big a deal... Our 25% rule is pretty generic and covers all kinds of pools and plumbing configurations.. It is a recommendation and not really a rule.

In my mind, the key is not filter pressure, but rather the amount of flow going back to the pool... As long as you have plenty of water returning to your pool, then I would not worry about cleaning the filter more than once a year. If you can "feel" a decrease in the water flowing back to your pool, it is for sure time to clean your filter.

You should also use some logic here... While I could go a whole year without cleaning my filter, I tend to do it twice a year. Since cleaning the cartridges gets me wet, I don't want to end up having to do it in December or January.. So, I do it in the Spring and in the Fall when I don't mind getting wet.

Each pool, and pool owner, is different, so just do what works best for you...

Thanks,

Jim R.
That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

I’m sure there are lots of gimmicky products out there for cleaning some of the common oils and stuff, is there anything useful for a normal cleaning that I should consider, or just straight water?

You're gonna like what you see. My cartridges had almost nothing in them when I first cleaned them after installing hair nets in the skimmers.

I like the Aqua Comb because it actually touches the filter pleats and mechanically gets out junk that may be lodged in there.
Thats the one i use also. I clean mine then dlip it upside down and do it again

I’m sure there are lots of gimmicky products out there for cleaning some of the common oils and stuff, is there anything useful for a normal cleaning that I should consider, or just straight water?

TSP to clean the oils or lotions, then just water. At the end of the year i soak them in a big tub of water with a gallon of Muriatic acid for 24 hours, then a final hose off. They come out cleaner than wedding white but i was told recently here that it might not be neccessary to use the acid bath.

TSP to clean the oils or lotions, then just water. At the end of the year i soak them in a big tub of water with a gallon of Muriatic acid for 24 hours, then a final hose off. They come out cleaner than wedding white but i was told recently here that it might not be neccessary to use the acid bath.
What’s the process for using the tsp? Is it a spray on solution or does it need to be in a bucket to soak?

I am not sure that the color of the filter does anything for what it can collect.. I really don't know, one way or the other...

I just use water and spray clean them from top to bottom and then flip them over and do it again..

I do use hairnets in the skimmers, so I don't get a lot of large items being collected by the cartridges.. I just keep hosing them down until the water runs clear and not dirty and I then consider them done.

My cartridges are about 5 years old, and other then color, look the same as when new.. I expect to get at least 10 years out of them, but only time will tell.

My filter pressure is only 1 or 2 lbs under normal operation, so they are not under any stress, even when dirty..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am not sure that the color of the filter does anything for what it can collect.. I really don't know, one way or the other...

Ha. Sorry for not explaining better. I have alot of pollen/tree stots. The filters start a gunky yellow color when i pull them. At the mid season hose off they get kinda white again but still slightly discolored, but im really just getting the big crud off. After the acid bath they are glow in the dark white like when they are brand new.

What’s the process for using the tsp? Is it a spray on solution or does it need to be in a bucket to soak?

Either way works. I use the spray because i have big filters. I was using it without even knowing what it was other than it worked. This place learnt me it was TSP. I would need alot of the stuff to make the right solution in my green landscaper bucket for a bath, which would be expensive. So i hose off the big crud, use the whole spray bottle and hose that off after about 15 min.

Reactions: Rumbleehockey03
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.