Cartridge filter in series with DE filter, and balance water before or after slam method?

Once I start filling should I start adding chlorine I assume? Should I go with 5ppm until full? Also, I’m sure I will need to check and possibly adjust my ph once full as well.
Once you stop draining, test what's left and bring it back to SLAM. Guess the gallons conservative to under shoot and adjust the remainder once you see how well you guessed. Then fill. Once full, your FC will be under 10 so the PH test isnvalid again. Adjust if necessary to a low 7 and re-commence SLAM at the appropriate (confirmed) new CYA.

Once you stop draining, test what's left and bring it back to SLAM. Guess the gallons conservative to under shoot and adjust the remainder once you see how well you guessed. Then fill. Once full, your FC will be under 10 so the PH test isnvalid again. Adjust if necessary to a low 7 and re-commence SLAM at the appropriate (confirmed) new CYA.
Ok will do. Thank you for the help. I’ll post back my results.

Reactions: Newdude
Ok will do. Thank you for the help. I’ll post back my results.
Sounds like you may have figured it out already but the FC test is much easier with the 10ml sample and dividing the drops in half to get the FC level. It also saves the powder when your doing lots of tests like you are doing and is plenty accurate.

Reactions: proavia
Sounds like you may have figured it out already but the FC test is much easier with the 10ml sample and dividing the drops in half to get the FC level. It also saves the powder when your doing lots of tests like you are doing and is plenty accurate.
Yes the first test I used the 25ml measurement, then all others have been using the 10ml, .5 ppm scale. I did see in another post, someone had said they were using 5ml with 1ppm per drop scale.
Thanks

Updating again. I’ve finally made some progress. The water is now a white blue color. Almost all the green is gone. I ended up changing out a 3rd of the water to lower CYA levels, but prior to that I was starting to see the green drop out. The water change just further helped it. My current CYA after the change is about 20. I round up to 30 for the pool math FC calculator. I’ve added 10oz of stabilizer because I didn’t want to overshoot, but it didn’t seem to raise the CYA much. I will add another 6oz to make for a full pound added, and then add in 1/2 pound increments if needed to get it between 30 and 40ppm.

I haven’t officially performed an OCLT yet, but I added enough chlorine last night to bring it to the 12ppm slam level, and found it at 10ppm this morning at 5am. So it’s still consuming chlorine.

As for my filter, I’m finding that my cartridge filter doesn’t seem to filter out the dead algae as well as it used to. The original cartridge I power washed last year to get clean, (doh) found out afterward I shouldn’t have done that, and it just hasn’t worked as well since. I have a second cartridge that was a cheaper replacement and since new it never seemed to filter out all the dead material like the original used to when new.

My question is, should I go back with the DE filter that seems to be a bit undersized to clean it up? I’m getting a bit lower on DE and don’t want to have to keep having to regenerate it and dumping DE. Or should I use a flocculant to drop it all out and vacuum it out with the cartridge filter?
Thanks all for the help again.

I haven’t officially performed an OCLT yet, but I added enough chlorine last night to bring it to the 12ppm slam level, and found it at 10ppm this morning at 5am. So it’s still consuming chlorine.

Thanks all for the help again.
When you do an OCLT, make sure you actually test the chlorine after adding it that night, maybe 30 minutes after. Never assume. 😁

Can’t help with the DE question as I hate those filters.

Yes, when I do truly perform an oclt I will dose the pool to slam level accordingly, test after 30 minutes of circulation to confirm chlorine level and check again in morning.

In addition to my questions in the previous post, I now see flocculent is really meant for using while vacuuming to waste and that a clarifier maybe more what I’m looking for.
However, i also see that it may not actually provide any positive results. I guess the big question I have is, can I pass an OCLT and still have a cloudy pool due to just dead algae not being filtered out? And if at that point, can I use a clarifier as an aid for the cartridge filter to more easily remove it?
Thank you

And if at that point, can I use a clarifier as an aid for the cartridge filter to more easily remove it?
If you are passing multiple OCLT, normal FC loss during the day, then a quality clarifier can be tried. SeaKlear Chitosan is a quality clarifier. One time use. Not for 'maintenance' as pushed by pool stores.

If you are passing multiple OCLT, normal FC loss during the day, then a quality clarifier can be tried. SeaKlear Chitosan is a quality clarifier. One time use. Not for 'maintenance' as pushed by pool stores.
Thank you very much. How many OCLTs you think is necessary, at least 2 or 3 nights before I can safely determine that everything is dead, and can add clarifier?
And once I’ve passed multiple OCLTs, should I maintain slam levels while the filter is cleaning up the cloudy water? Or can I let it drift down to normal levels while it’s still cleaning up?
Thanks again

How many OCLTs you think is necessary, at least 2 or 3 nights
Yes. You want to be really sure you have no active algae left.
should I maintain slam levels while the filter is cleaning up the cloudy water?
May as well. That should only take a day or two if the system works properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. You want to be really sure you have no active algae left.

May as well. That should only take a day or two if the system works properly.
Thank you. So I found I already have an unopened bottle of what I believe is a polymer type clarifier. Can I use that? Or best to go with the chitosan clarifier?

Also, as for OCLT, I would assume any rain overnight would invalidate the test correct?
Thank you again.

The Chitosan is made from oyster shells. So not a polymer that will plug up the filter.

Up to you. If it messes up your filter you just replace the media.

DD61BD7B-F7EB-42F8-AB7D-0C84BDF5D036.jpeg
Putting my final update in. Pool is clear. In fact, I think this maybe the clearest I’ve ever had it. I wana say thank you again to everyone for the help. I did not drop in FC overnight, however it was not an official OCLT. Tonight I will dose to slam level, confirm FC ppm after dose, and check again in the morning.

I did try the clarifier. I dropped 2 ounces in and let it go for 24 hours with the cartridge filter. I was very particular about making sure I didn’t overdoes the pool, as Ive read adding more Will actually increase the cloudiness, I only saw a slight change. I then decided to go back to the DE filter as I figured that everything should be dead and within about 5 hours the water went from cloudy to mostly clear, and then sparkly crystal clear overnight.
As for the OCLT, I’m a little shy about dropping from slam levels yet. This was the worst algae outbreak I’ve dealt with. I added chlorine In what I thought were Large amounts with no results whereas previous outbreaks were killed with just the addition of a bag of shock or 2. However, this was before I was using the necessary methods to test and dose properly, so I don’t want to give it a chance.
I did find a couple more thin strips of algae that were about 1/2” wide by 6” long in the corners. I must’ve missed them when brushing. I cleaned them up earlier today and Because of that I’m expecting that I may fail the overnight test, but I will try anyway, and even If I were to pass it, I may go another night or two at slam levels to be safe.
Thanks all

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.