Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hey guys,

I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I'm on day 4 of a SLAM and I thought I would add some DE powder to my sand filter to speed it along. The filter is a 22 inch ecokleer sand filter that says it takes 250lbs of sand. The sand was put in last year when the pool was installed. Pump has been running 24/7 for about a week.
I measured about .25 cup of DE and mixed with water in a bucket, removed skimmer basket and poured into the skimmer drain. A vortex started and sucked in air while I was pouring. Then air bubbles (maybe DE powder too, can't tell?) came through the return. The pump was running on high which is about 3450rpm (according to the sticker on it). I went ahead and added more DE powder and water. The PSI never increased, but I didn't add anymore.
I went ahead and vacuumed the pool for about an hour (not being able to see the bottom due to cloudiness so I don't know what I was vacuuming. The PSI still never increased. Continued adding LC for slam. The next morning, the PSI had actually dropped by 1. I left the pump running on low (1725 according to sticker).

I want to make sure my pump and filter are running correctly while I'm doing this slam. I'm linking to a couple of videos and pictures. One is the pump running on high (I can't tell if that's air in it or if that's what it's supposed to do). The other video is from later that night and is really so you can hear the filter to determine if you think it's normal.

In the future, do you think I should run the pump on high or low for a 30ft round above ground pool?

If I need to look at anything, please explain in extreme laymen terms. I'm understanding the water testing, but the mechanics of the pump and filter are still a bit over my head.

Also, what is the technical term for that thing in front of the pump with the handle up? Should that be up or down? I didn't see it in my manual.

LINK FOR VIDEOS and pictures

Thanks guys!

Syd, that T-handle in front of the pump looks to be some sort of shut-off valve. I'm assuming when you turn off the pump, you can push that down to close the line so that water doesn't go in or out. That's my guess. As for the DE, it may have just been too much water pressure at over 3,000 rpm and it just blew out. Regardless, I wouldn't bother with DE. Only use DE (if needed) at the tail-end of the SLAM Process once you are holding a good FC level, no CCs, and the water is basically clear just not crystal yet (strictly filtration).

As for the pump and the air in the basket, it's too much air. I suspect a suction side air leak before the pump. Either from that T-handle item or any other fittings before the pump. So you might inspect closely and/or experiment a bit with any connections from the poolside skimmer to the pump to see where air might be entering. An air leak would also explain low PSI pressure - much like trying to drink through a broken straw. Oh, and for the SLAM, running on a low rpm is just fine. You only need to kick it up when vacuuming or if you want while adding chemicals.

If you still have problems let us know.

Syd, that T-handle in front of the pump looks to be some sort of shut-off valve. I'm assuming when you turn off the pump, you can push that down to close the line so that water doesn't go in or out. That's my guess. As for the DE, it may have just been too much water pressure at over 3,000 rpm and it just blew out. Regardless, I wouldn't bother with DE. Only use DE (if needed) at the tail-end of the SLAM Process once you are holding a good FC level, no CCs, and the water is basically clear just not crystal yet (strictly filtration).

As for the pump and the air in the basket, it's too much air. I suspect a suction side air leak before the pump. Either from that T-handle item or any other fittings before the pump. So you might inspect closely and/or experiment a bit with any connections from the poolside skimmer to the pump to see where air might be entering. An air leak would also explain low PSI pressure - much like trying to drink through a broken straw. Oh, and for the SLAM, running on a low rpm is just fine. You only need to kick it up when vacuuming or if you want while adding chemicals.

If you still have problems let us know.
Thank you! I ended up replacing the sand in my filter. The installers filled up the filter last year when they installed the pool so it might have been the wrong type of sand. In doing so, I was able to tighten all the connections and now there is no water in the pump basket. I also replaced a lot of water to remove some of the copper from the previous system and dead algae while I did the filter. I only lost 1.5 FC overnight and the CC is at .5. The water is mostly clear so hopefully only one or two more days of SLAM and then I can turn on my new SWG.

Thanks again for your help in both threads.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.