Can't get chlorine to increase?

Jul 8, 2016
Trappe, pa
This is my 4th? 5th summer? With our above ground pool and I always struggle getting it open. I know that I need to upgrade from the test strips and I will do that, but in the meantime, I can't get my free chlorine level up. Admittedly, we added zero chemicals when we closed it last year and miraculously when we took the cover off, the water was fairly clear. I have an above ground pool with approximately 18,000 gallons and added 6,000 gallons of city water when we opened it last weekend. I've added 8lbs of shock and my free chlorine is still zero. All of my other numbers are low as well - pH, stabilizer, and alkalinity. I know that I need to get everything up, but clearly I'm doing it out of order. I've added chemicals to increase all of them, but the numbers aren't really going up. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Well, you joined in 2016 but your first post - So, I will say welcome.

How are you testing and what are the exact numbers, we need more than "my other numbers are low as well "

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

I would be careful using that "shock". If it is normal Dichlor you have already added 27 to your CYA

I have an agp, the only thing I put in it is salt, bleach, hcl, cya, and borax (I think it makes the water sparkle and feel better but in reality...probably not). Anyway you have to have the test kit. If you follow tfp you will save the money many times over. Get it and publish the numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.