Can't get Chlorine to hold

Ok, will do.

How often should I be adding chlorine and testing?

Target 5 ppm of FC and test it ever few hours and see if it is holding or you top it off. Without a FAS/DPD test kit you will have a hard time seeing you lost 1 or 2 ppm of CL.

Target 5 ppm of FC and test it ever few hours and see if it is holding or you top it off. Without a FAS/DPD test kit you will have a hard time seeing you lost 1 or 2 ppm of CL.

Question: could the sand filter be full of AA which is killing off the Chlorine as it filters? I back washed yesterday it was a milky colour but is there anything else I should do regarding the filter?

Thx

So, found a dead mouse in the skimmer basket this morning and had heavy rain last night (level up an inch). Does this change the strategy now? Should is just shock or slam the pool now?

Side note: I've been trying to track down one of the kits you listed... None ship to Canada quickly or cheaply. Has anyone come across a solution for the Great White North?

Other folks in Canada that are not close to the US border have been finding a Taylor K2006C for $170CAD on Amazon.ca.

Without the test kit, and the addition of a dead rodent in the pool and the chlorine measured by my current kit at FC: 1 this morning... Should I just shock/SLAM now and use store testing for now? How often will I need to test to maintain levels - hourly?

I saw the Amazon offer, but it wouldn't get here until end of month/August... Was hoping to get it ASAP.
You can have a kit shipped to a mail drop at a US border town and drive over and get it. Great Lakes is a fairly broad location description.

You can have a kit shipped to a mail drop at a US border town and drive over and get it. Great Lakes is a fairly broad location description.
I think that will a last resort as it's quite drive. In the meantime, do you have any suggestions regarding the dead rodent and low CL reading? Should I just shock/slam to be safe anyways?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a similar issue and seemed to be a constant battle to keep it up until algea started blooming on one side..Then I gave it a strong chlorine shock which killed the algea and hasn't hardly used any chlorine since. Think I was fighting algea in the water and just needed smacking :)

While awaiting my kit, I started looking around the pool for any signs of algae. Wasn't sure if it was algae, but there was a line around the first step in shallow end. Was kind of slimy and had a clear/yellow with green flecks kind of look...but more clear than anything. Then went to closer inspect the ladder, seemed fine on surface but gross mold/algae looking slime and stains under the first step, second step maybe a little, third step seemed ok. Then went to lights, removed each light and the black cables were lined in a clear slime (algae I assume).

I scrubbed and sprayed the stair with bleach mix along water line, removed ladder and took to garage to high pressure wash each step and soak in strong bleach mix (will also try to polish out any rust), brushed out each light fixture and light then replaced.

Then went and got 20L of chlorine to really try and kill off the algae. I know I can't do the SLAM or SLAM for algae but I can't wait two weeks for this 2006 kit to arrive to do something. Can I try to use pool store tester for now and try to adhere to SLAM as close as I can with their numbers?

Anything else I can do in the meantime to kill it off "blind" without the kit to test accurately...?

Also, I couldn't find anything on clear algae -- is that a thing?

Thanks for any direction, I'm going in blind here without the kit and as a new pool owner.

What do you think your CYA level is?

Operating blind I would add about 5-7 ppm of CL a day. That may not clear the algae but it should keep it from growing until you get your test kit and can do the SLAM Process

Good news, got the 2006 kit today. Had to drive for it but I have one at least and can get to work on this!

I should also note I really gave the pool a shock last night as I was panicking after finding algae. Added 20L of liquid chlorine at around 6pm.

So here are the first readings @ 1130:
FC -8
CC - 0
PH - 7.7
Alk - 130
CYA - 30 (could maybe barely see the black dot)
Cal Hardness - 350
Saturation index - 0.5

Should I do the overnight loss test tonight?

Last edited:
pH of 7.4 is good enough to begin the SLAM Process. Raise the FC to 12 and maintain it there checking regularly.

To stretch your R-0871 you can test FC using a 5 ml sample and 1 drop = 1 ppm. So you want at least 12 drops with a 5 ml sample or 24 drops with a 10 ml sample.

Just test FC and CC while FC is above 10.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.