Can You Help Me?

mimidjets said:
The water is a pretty blue when looking down into the pool. It starts getting cloudy about 10 or so inches from the top of the water.
You're getting there just keep doing what the pros here tell you
My pool went from deep green to sparkly in 2 weeks following the procedure here
I also put a skimmer sock on the skimmer that seemed to really help getting a lot of junk out of the water
Just make sure you clean it a lot
Here's a couple of cans of POP for you(Pool Owner Patience) :cheers:
I know I used a lot of it :mrgreen:

By skimmer, do you mean where the water comes into the pool or goes out of the pool. I have a skimmer basket that hangs on the side of the pool where it sucks out the debri that is floating. Where would I put the sock? And is this something I can buy or just use an old sock?

Ok I am really getting ready to quit the pool in!. This morning I tested my water. The FC was 14.5. According to the pool calculator I entered the 14.5 in the left side and 24 in the right side. It calculated 2 gallons of bleach. I put that in. Came home from work about 4 and tested again. It tested 1!!!!. What the heck!. My water is now starting to have a tint of green instead of the aqua blue. I am going from bad to worse!!

mimidjets said:
The FC was 14.5. According to the pool calculator I entered the 14.5 in the left side and 24 in the right side. It calculated 2 gallons of bleach. I put that in. Came home from work about 4 and tested again. It tested 1!!!!
Did you repeat your test? I would. Also, you can try testing with the OTO chlorine test (the one attached to the ph test) to see what color that is.

I just noticed this in your first post:
mimidjets said:
I recently put up an Intex 24ft x 52in round above ground pool.
But in your sig, you list it as a 22' pool, which is it?

The bleach I am putting in is not holding at all. I added what the calculator suggested last night and this morning it was down to 17 from 24. I checked my CYA and the dot was still visible at 30. The vial was full. I hung a sock with stabilizer in front of my water coming into the pool. I hope that's ok. My husband and I are taking a sample of water to a pool store to see what they tell me. I am just not crazy about that because I know they will try to talk me into buying stuff I don't need. I don't know what else to do to get the water clear. I vacuumed yesterday and got hardly nothing. The bottom is not slimy at all. I brushed the sides where there was a bit of grime around the top of the water, but that's it. I just can't get the water clear. It stays cloudy with a bluish/green tint and the bleach won't hold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The FC isn't holding because it is being consumed killing algae - exactly what is supposed to happen. It will continue to drop as long as you continue to have algae.

Read the section in Pool School on defeating algae - you have to continually add the right amount of bleach based on what you test the FC at. The more often, the better. This isn't something that will be completed in a day or two.

I wouldn't worry about vacuuming until the algae is all gone and you pass the three tests. You should be brushing though.

Then your CYA is less than 30, maybe less than 20. I would calculate a dosage to for 20ppm of CYA and dissolve it in a sock in front of the return to help with your UV destruction of your FC. You are likely losing most of the FC to the sun.

Retest the CYA in a week.

It says to add the drops slowly until the black dot "just" disappears. Does that mean barely visible? Or add drops until it is no longer visible. Your name says it all! Frustratedpoolmom! I love it, because I so totally relate!!! This is just my second year to have a pool but my first year to open to a green one. I will totally drain after this season and start fresh next season!

Awesome! That helps more than you know! What target should I enter into the calculator if I am using 20ppms? I have an SWG but it is hooked up but not running yet. I am waiting for the shock process to be over before turning it on.

put 0 in the "now" column and 20 in the Target. If you have your gallons in it should tell you, I'm guessing 2 lbs ish.
Yes wait for the shock process to complete, make sure the FC is holding overnight, then you will raise the CYA to 60 and turn on the SWG.

Ok just so I understand correctly:If I am still in the shocking process, and not running my SWG, looking at the CYA/Chlorine Chart, am I going by the non SWG or the SWG numbers? SWG shows me 60 for my CYA with shock FC at 24. The non SWG shows my CYA at 20 with shock FC at 10. What do I need to go by to continue to shock my pool to get the water clear?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.