Can wind raise pH?

Jun 10, 2018
Kihei HI
I have been on TFP since late last year. I am using liquid chlorine for pool (6%). I add about a gallon to my 10,000 gal pool every few days when my reading hits 1.
This generally raises Chlorine to about 4-5. Then the sun bakes it off....

Every week when I test Chlorine and pH, my pH always seems to be at 8.0-8.2+- (in the purple zone)
I add chlorine, and then about an hour later, my Muriatic Acid.
I always add more MA than recommended because the recommendation don't seem to bring it to 7.5 as in pool math for more than a few days.
Usually about 24-30 ounces vs 15 oz recommended.

I live in Hawaii, and we have generally windy conditions a few days a week.
1. I have been wondering why my pH keeps rising....?and
2. why do I need to add so much more MA than what is recommended.

Maybe because of the wind?

#'s today with TF-100
Ph 8.2
Chlorine 0.5
CC 0
CH 350
TA 90
CYA 35

I added a gallon of 6% liquid chlorine and 16 ounces of MA in past hour. I will retest in an hour. I want to keep my pH at 7.5 without it rising so quickly...
Mahalo!

Your liquid chlorine regimen worries me, but your pool your rules.

Are you adding anything that raises your pH? Your TA of 90 would not stay there if you are adding acid like you say. Unless you have fill water with high TA. Do you? Also, keeping the pH at 7.5 is not typically natural for standing water. Try 7.8.
And yes, wind ripples on the surface is a form of aeration. Not a huge effect, but it is there.

I don't think the wind would effect it *too* much...well, unless it was causing swells in your pool. I am in Oklahoma and well..it's windy...very windy, in fact. Nonetheless, I don't really see too much of a PH rise and in the last 6 months, I have only had to add a very small amount (twice) of MA to bring my PH down.

Why is my pool regimen worrisome? Yikes. I test every week. I thought that was OK?
I do not add anything but bleach 6% (what I call liquid chlorine), and the Muriatic Acid.
Probably because with a CYA of 40 (TFP methods has users round up to nearest ten) then your FC should be in the 5-7 range and 3 would be the bare minimum.

Reactions: splashpad
Your liquid chlorine regimen worries me, but your pool your rules.

Are you adding anything that raises your pH? Your TA of 90 would not stay there if you are adding acid like you say. Unless you have fill water with high TA. Do you? Also, keeping the pH at 7.5 is not typically natural for standing water. Try 7.8.
And yes, wind ripples on the surface is a form of aeration. Not a huge effect, but it is there.
Why is my pool regimen worrisome? Yikes. I test every week. I thought that was OK?
I do not add anything but bleach 6% (what I call liquid chlorine), and the Muriatic Acid.

Not keeping FC up above 4ppm daily :)
We are in the habit of adding the high-for-our-CYA FC dose every night, so it can do it's thing with UV burn off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, thats the first I have read to add chlorine every night to keep at 4ppm- nice I can do that.
Also what is "high-for-our CYA" FC dose mean? :)
It means we personally error on the side of "safety" and always add enough Liquid Chlorine to essentially dose the FC into the top range of our CYA... based on the FC/CYA Levels {based on PoolMath}, that way if we're away for an extended time, we know we won't come back to a green pond :D (it's "insurance", and very likely overkill) lol ;)

Our personal testing regime: (mind you, our pool was 2yrs old, so we "learned" our pools needs)
FC & PH every other day (being generous here, lol)
Weekly - TA (sooner if we're having fast PH rise)
Monthly CYA (we have vinyl and don't use anything that adds CH)

Last edited:
It means we personally, error on the side of "safety" and always keep the FC on in the top range based on the FC/CYA Levels, that way if we're away for an extended time, we know we won't come back to a green pond :D
Thanks for that info- I forgot about the numbers in the FC/CYA chart. I copied them into my pool "diary" so I always have them. I see where my FC should be 5-7 with a CYA of 40. And to be clear, I will round up on the CYA, and stay high on the FC side of the recommendations.

I hope that will alleviate my pH fluctuations...

Everyone voiced why I had my reservations --- good job!

I would suspect a bit higher CYA may be useful in Hawaii. Your sun is pretty intense. If you find FC fall off to be too much, try raising your CYA level to 50 ppm.

Test your fill water TA.

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.