Can muriatic acid and liquid chlorine be added at the same time?

azpooldude

May 14, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
Maybe in different parts of the pool? Or how long should you wait?

Also, one thing I read about adding muriatic acide said to do it when the filter pump has been off for an hour, and dump it in the deepest part, and wait another hour before turning the pump on. Is that correct?

[Link Removed -- UnSafe Advice --- TFP Mod -- Marty]

Last edited:
No No No ----
The Slug is a myth!! You can damage your pool.

Pour all liquid chemicals in a pencil size stream in to your return with the pump running.

I think my eyes rolled out of my head reading that article. I would completely ignore it.

Don't add chlorine and acid at the exact same time, a few minutes between is fine. Always add chemicals with the pool pump running.

WOW.... eeegads. That's certainly risky advice and in this case very well might damage a pool's pretty finish!

You want to add MA over a running return to help dilute it into the water quickly. I always suggest brushing that area also so no small boluses of MA are sitting low in the water against the pool's finish.

I would say adding your Chlorine to another section of the pool after a few minutes should be perfectly fine. But again we want the pump running.

Remember that chlorine vapors and muriatic acid vapors themselves mixed are dangerous....deadly in fact. Why risk mixing them?

Maddie :flower:

Very true. In fact, that same TA reducing idea is what brought me to this site 10 years ago. I was so messed up I thought high TA was causing my pool to be cloudy and was searching for how to reduce it. Well, I may have been way off on what was going on, but I found this place and it got my pool cleared.

Glad you came across TFP, and a belated Welcome! :wave:

Reactions: Bassgirl8552
We do not suggest doing the above. Do pH changes a little at a time. If your pH is 8 then shoot for 7.8 and only add that amount of m.a. It is best to go slow and easy. NO whole jugs/cans at one time. Better safe than sorry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I did not advise to add a full can at a time. I only said how it can be done we you can add a whole can.
I had to add 8 cans when I had to lower my TA down from 295. I could add a half or full can at a time, and found this an easy way to insert and distribute well. With this method, the MA in the can will be replaced with water, so it is difficult to put in less than a full can, although you can put in roughly half a can, and do the other half later.
If you pour in above a return, much will just fall next to the jet, and will just fall to the bottom which is not good.

There is no reason to do it that way. Adding MA slowly in front of a return is the easiest option and doesn't require an entire gallon to be added at one time. Your comment about it falling to the bottom is untrue, if that was happening to you then you were adding it far too quickly.

I'm suspecting that MA comes in smaller *cans* in Portugal. Here in the US it comes in large gallon sized jugs. Perhaps this is why one would use an entire "can". We rarely would ever need as much as a gallon for routine use.

Well our cans are 5L which is about 1.3 gallon :).
Last week I have used 8 of those, doing a half or a full can at a time (bringing TA down from 295).
After a few cans, I found out that the easiest way to do them was pushing a can underwater and let the powerful jet touch the opening. The jet sucks the MA out of the can and shoots it in the pool. When pouring from above the water, I noticed that it was difficult to hit the beam exactly as it is quit narrow. The MA is well visible underwater and I saw part of it falling next to the beam to the bottom.

IMG_20190524_183759 (1).jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.