Can I use Chlor Brite Pool Shock instead of Chlorine tabs?

msmithpolanco

Oct 25, 2021
Austin, TX
I'm just learning how to treat my pool. Leslie's sold me Chlor Brite Pool Shock which made my CYA way too high because my pool already has chorine tabs. I have the correct non-chlorine pool shock now (Fresh and Clear) but I don't want this 150.00 bucket of chlorinated shock to go to waste, so I'm hoping I can use it without increasing my CyA. If I can use it in place of chlorine tabs do you think a half cup is a good place to start for a small 7500 gallon pool when there's no chlorine tabs in use at the time?

Welcome to the forum!
Pool School is a great place to learn about pool water chemistry and chemicals that TFPC recommends and does not recommend.
Trichlor (tablets) and dichlor (powdered shock) have their place in very limited situations. The non chlorine shock you mention should never be used in a pool.
I suggest you read through Pool School - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
You will find TFPC is quite a bit different than pool store methods. We advocate the pool owner doing their own water testing with a proper test kit. See Test Kits Compared
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.