Can be exhausting trying to teach the TFP methodology

TFP is a state of mind....OOOOHHHHHMMMMMMM!
Bruce Lee Meditation GIF

Reactions: Mdragger88
I used to help my neighbor out with his pool. Referred him to TFP and he even got the TF-100 kit. Last time I asked him how his pool was doing, he said not so good. To this day, he has never used his test kit. Always went to the pool store and bought all the Crud they recommended. I just sighed and left it at that. Sometimes there is nothing you can do.

• Sad
There are certain situations where the “traditional” approach to pool care works. Or at least keeps from having algae, although the actual water quality may be horrible. Someone who lives in a northern climate and has a sand filter may be able to use trichlor pucks and ”shock” regularly. Regular backflushing of the sand filter may help keep the CYA low enough for the chlorine to work. By the time the CYA and CH are off the charts, the season is over and its time to drain about 1/3 of the water to winterize. Then repeat the next year. That’s how it worked for me for years before I moved to a climate with year round open pools. I can’t imagine how bad my water quality was, but it generally looked pretty clear, and we swam in it.

The thing that I can't get over is that doing things the way we do is SOOOOO much cheaper. You can save even more money if you take advantage of certain synergies ( using dichlor/trichlor temporarily to raise CYA while adding chlorine you need anyway, using CalHypo temporarily to chlorinate when you need a calcium boost). Buying CYA / DE / Baking Soda in bulk. I used to also buy a ton of Calcium Chloride Dihydrate each season as well, now I just use CalHypo to raise my calcium during daily chlorination for about a month when I first open. The savings over a pool "service" or expensive pool store potions alone should be enough to convince most people. Just think how many bottles of Glenmorangie that equates to over the course of a year! :cool:

glenmorangie-10-year-old-1.jpg

Last edited:
The root of the problem in my opinion is "magical thinking". You simply cannot convince someone who is in the "magical thinking" paradigm to switch over to a Descartian way of knowing.. the cognitive dissonance is just too great for them to bear. This does not just apply to pool care. These are the same people who get ripped off by contractors, auto mechanics, lawyers, shysters, brokers, faith healers, etc ...

"When you believe in things that you don't understand,
then you suffer.
Superstition ain't the way." - Stevie Wonder

or:

"Being a fool is one thing. But not knowing you're a fool, honey, that's another thing." - Johnny Paycheck / Merle Haggard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of my friends back in Upstate New York decided she wanted a pool. They went the AGP route and she and her husband bought a Kit From Doheny's. I talked her into upgrading to a SWG and VSP. And I introduced her to this site. She said "I flunked Chemistry in School, ya know. Now I'm running tests!". She went all in.
I have a buddy in the neighborhood and he "claims" to use the TFP methods, but no test kit. Same with my Business Partner in Dallas. Both have User IDs here.
As someone so eloquently put here last summer

"You can lead a horse to water, but he will then put 'Yellow Out' in it..."

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.