Memphis, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Been a while since I've posted but I wanted to just say how exhausting it can be trying to teach friends the TFP methodology. I have a good friend from where I used to live that got a pool around a year ago. I've tried from day one to send him links to the pool care basics, explain to him until I'm blue in the face about not putting a lot of trust in pool stores, joining this community and researching, learning how the process works and I just can't get through to him.

He calls me yesterday about an algae problem that he has and asked for advice, I ask what his test results are and he doesn't know. How can you have a pool and not know what your water is doing? I finally got him to order the TF-100 last night. Today he went by the pool store to get his water tested because I told him I needed to know what's going on with it, they tested it on their high dollar spinning machine, which I'm sure is pretty accurate, and on his print out it says his chlorine is 0.5 and his CYA is 45. On the print out it says the ideal range for CYA is 60-200. Yes 60-200. I said wow....please don't do that.

He is all about using Bio guard. I tell him its so much simpler than that and to not use that stuff but he just won't listen. I give him examples of alternate chemicals to use and he says I can't mix that with Bio Guard. It's so frustrating. I don't preach to him but when he reaches out to me I try to explain that either he has to stick with the pool store method or get on board with the TFP method. There really is no little of both I try to tell him. It's soooo frustrating. I've given up a few times but every time he calls for an issue I'm right back in it. LOL. Who else has been there done that and how do you break through to them? I'm by no means a professional, I tell him that, I always refer him to the site. I tell him to sign up and look around.

Reactions: Kellyp and Apsuhead
He is all about using Bio guard. I tell him its so much simpler than that and to not use that stuff but he just won't listen.
Uh-huh. I can relate to it, as one who has been using pool store chemicals for the past 32 years! It's just hard, I think, to move beyond that to the idea of using things like baking soda, borax, etc. instead. And so, I'm another one who has not embraced TFP with the exception of having gotten away from doing any pool store testing. I will say (and perhaps it would help to show your friend) that the pool math app is really good and calculates precisely what is needed. I have it on my phone and dabbled with it a bit - most impressed with it - but with still using baqua I suppose I don't really need the app all that much though I guess it would still be useful for calculating amounts of certain chemicals. His statement about not wanting to mix home products with bioguard likely has some merit. I'd think it should be all or none - at least with regards to adjusting any given parameter. If he's already using chlorine, then I'd say definitely use the app and get away from store testing completely. Good luck convincing him - especially if he's as stubborn as I am 😆.

He has a liner and SWG. I’m def no pro at all. That’s why I continuously refer him to the site to do his own research. I honestly think it comes down to laziness. He’s a new pool owner and wants the “magic wand” way of taking care of it. There’s no such thing but I try to explain that if he learns the process and what is actually happening a little that it makes it so much easier to deal with a pool.
The biggest issue I’ve ran into in my 2.5 years of owning a pool is that every single site/pool store you go to will say something diff. I really don’t understand that, still don’t, but I was lucky enough to buy a house that had a good pool set up, not the best but good, and I’ve used the TFP method for 2.5 years and never had any issues with algae or anything else. I’ve actually saved hundreds of dollars on chemicals and all it took was a little research and initiative.

I tried to help a friend with there pool.. got them to buy the TF100 and changed them over to a SWG.. taught them everything got the pool all balanced and handed it over to them... a month later and it is green... asked what the levels were and they did not know.. how do you not know if you are testing every day??? they had not tested once since I left...

That happened the first year then the second year I said I was busy and traveling... :)

As they say: You can lead a horse to water but....

I just think so many people are stuck on the idea that testing and adding chemicals only once a week is the "standard" and few are willing to put a small amount of work in daily. They'd rather have a green pool several times each season and spend lots of money at pool stores than maintain it properly.

I'm just so glad I found TFP within a month of having my first pool. If i didn't, i definitely would have been a pool store victim. I probably would have had several algae blooms already, too. But instead, i spend 5 minutes each night on the pool and enjoy crystal clear water every day.

If someone is stuck on only testing once a week, raising to SLAM level each time will probably work fine. Depends on a lot of factors like climate and usage and CYA level, of course, but it can be done. My CYA is 40 or maybe 30. I dosed the pool yesterday but before that, it was five days since any testing or additions. I only take FC up to 7 and it was 3.5 yesterday. But, and this is the big but, I have a handle on the pool and can pretty much predict my test results, precisely because I've done the work. I've done the research, I understand the chemistry, I've done the daily testing. I know how much FC I can expect to lose based on usage and weather, and my pH is rock solid this season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ll be honest, I’ve gone weeks without testing. I don’t make a habit out of it and hate when it happens but with a baby and life sometimes I just get busy and forget. On another note I keep the pool very clean, I’ve gotten to know my pool and overall it really takes care of itself. I may just be lucky but the pool has done very well. Like you said tho I can pretty much predict my test results. I have every test result starting with my first results from my TF-100. I keep them in a notebook and use the TFP App.

Been a member for 4yrs. Joined just for ideas and knowledge. Last August is when our pool became a reality. So I started reading pool care/chemistry. I didn't realize that was the principle of this site. TFP- Duh:scratch:

It was intimidating... but I read through everything multiple times. Ordered a TF-100 kit and started practicing on my hot-tub.

The key is I wanted to learn and be in command of my pool. My paradise, my responsibility.

The value with this site is reading in the pool help threads. That's where you really learn the TFP process. Seeing how ya'll help folks work through their pool issues is where I started to put it all together.

If your friend would get on here and start reading in the pool water help threads..... the light bulb coming on is inevitable.

I don't have water in my pool yet- but this site has me so confident.

I think you just have to let him fail, get a giant green swamp, spend a bunch of money fixing it, and then having it not work. Once he goes through the pain of cleaning it, he will hopefully not want to go through that again.

Reactions: Cwiggs and proavia
I tried to help a friend with there pool.. got them to buy the TF100 and changed them over to a SWG.. taught them everything got the pool all balanced and handed it over to them... a month later and it is green... asked what the levels were and they did not know.. how do you not know if you are testing every day??? they had not tested once since I left...
This happens to me all the time with things other than pools. People at work ask for help with whatever process they're attempting to improve, but what they're really looking for is to pass the buck. I call them "magic buttons," and everyone wants one. Accounting mgr comes to me. Keeping track of state sales tax laws, rates, discounts, exemptions and filings is very time consuming and error prone, can you help? Sure. So I do some research and find some companies who provide platforms and API's to help automate much of it. We jointly select one. I scaffold a demo to pipe a few thousand invoices through it, and ask them to verify whether or not the platform is the correct fit. Crickets. I go up the chain to the VP, request a meeting. That stalls. In a conversation with the CEO I mention it, he offers the weight of his thumb if nothing moves. Fast forward a couple more weeks, thumb comes down, mgr is all "I thought you took care of all of that?" Yeah Sally, I'm not doing your job and it doesn't say Accounting on my door. So she dumps it all on a clerk to figure out, who understands it's more complicated than a magic button and is trying to engage the mgr. for help with the rules. Aaaaand just like that it's all stalled again.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Stop trying to convince him. Just start bragging about how little time you spend taking care of your pool and how little money you have spent doing it. Send him pictures of your crystal clear water. Then let him come begging to learn your secrets to success. If you begrudgingly let him in on the secret, that info might be more valuable to him.

I’ll be honest, I’ve gone weeks without testing. I don’t make a habit out of it and hate when it happens but with a baby and life sometimes I just get busy and forget. On another note I keep the pool very clean, I’ve gotten to know my pool and overall it really takes care of itself. I may just be lucky but the pool has done very well. Like you said tho I can pretty much predict my test results. I have every test result starting with my first results from my TF-100. I keep them in a notebook and use the TFP App.
I only do a weekly test (sometimes even a bit longer) but I go outside and "check on the pool" several times per day. It is relaxing just to see the water. I actually enjoy bushing the sides and netting a few leaves or fireants out of the water. I feel like I have a good enough sense to tell when something is about to go sideways. And I know when to be preemptive (hot cloudless days, lots of swimmers, rain/wind, etc..). This is not anything I would recommend to anyone though. Especially not to a pool noob.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Most of my friends have pools. Non of them follow TFP methods. I dont even try. They know about my fanatical testing, they dont care. I dont bring it up. They occasionally mention they had some algae on the sides of their pools, they just brushed it away and it was fine after that. I just smile. If they want my help they can ask, otherwise we just complain about the golf club, we all agree on that.

As a side note, it is incredibly hard to convince someone that pool store testing is complete garbage. They have fancy machines, and fancy chemicals, and they are a POOL store. How can they not know what they are doing? It is so counter intuitive that their testing is wrong.

As a side note, it is incredibly hard to convince someone that pool store testing is complete garbage. They have fancy machines, and fancy chemicals, and they are a POOL store. How can they not know what they are doing? It is so counter intuitive that their testing is wrong.
‘And they fixed my pool for, like 3 whole weeks, for only $350 this time. This is a new problem’.
:laughblue: :laughblue: :laughblue: :laughblue: :laughblue: :laughblue:

Can't teach someone who doesn't want to be taught.

My Dad came down with a pretty bad case of COVID last spring (actually both parents did, but my Mom's bout was nowhere near as severe) and much of the 2020 pool care fell to my Mother and she asked if I could help with their pool chemistry. They live in a neighboring state, but I've been up there a few times during the lighter restricted periods. I helped set up their new variable speed pump and got them a TF-100 test kit. My Dad is back to maintaining the pool and back to pool store testing and granule chlorine, until I have a hands-on teaching moment with him.

I hope to get up there soon, but it can't happen until after the boys are done with spring sports. Maybe I'll take a vacation day something and go up during the workweek.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.