Calcium hardness and salinity for salt water pool

RobbyBell

Apr 6, 2019
Virginia Beach
Hello all,

I’m new here to the site but not to pools. Grew up with a chlorine above ground pool, bought a house 5 years ago with a 25,000 gallon in ground pool that I converted to salt a couple years ago.

Today I had to add 25 pounds of calcium chloride to increase my calcium hardness. Since I added it, my chlorine generator control panel (Hayward swimpure plus) is reading high salt and has shut down the cell as part of its built in protection feature. Is this possibly because of the calcium chloride I added or is my salinity cell damaged? For reference, my salinity level was 2300 before I added it and I added 160 pounds of salt based on a calculation Leslie’s did. Thanks

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

Did you have the SWG on when you added the salt? If so, a concentrated slug of brine water may have went through the SWG and caused the error. We recomend that the SWG be off for 24 hours after adding salt. This gives the water time to mix properly and not cause the SWG error.
Try cycling the power of the SWG tomorrow and see if that resets the SWG.

Salt wont damage the cell, but as you saw, the the controller may get an error and go into safe mode.

Reactions: RobbyBell
Welcome to TFP.

The Aquapure likes salt below 3000ppm. It will shutdown to protect itself if the salt level is too high causing too high an amp draw in the cell. Power the cell off and on and post all the diagnostic readings.

We don’t give a lot of credibility in Leslie testing. Get your own test kit. For a salt pool you should have the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test and either the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C. And the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer helps with testing.

You probably need to drain some water to reduce your salt level. But without a good test you don’t know how much you need to drain.

If you are going to hang around here please put details of your pool in your signature. See What we need to know to answer your questions

Last edited:
Reactions: RobbyBell
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.