Buying new SWG system

sersee

May 23, 2014
South Jersey
Hey TFP...

I have a 20 X 40 rectangle pool. It has a 6 foot deep end and 3 foot shallow end. It is a liner. I have a Hayward filter and we just replaced our pump last year. This will be my 7th year with the pool. We open an extremely green pool every year and fight to keep the algae out. I have to add liquid chlorine to our pool all the time. My neighbors have pools and don't have the same algae problems as we do. We thought it might be because we have the mesh cover. But so do my neighbors. They always open to a fairly clear pool and when they have an algae issue , it's able to be taken care of. We alway have our pool at it's highest setting to produce chlorine. We have a Breeze 320.

So last year I was on these boards and someone mentioned to me that my swg system is to small for my pool. It was like a lightbulb moment. My husband always thought this since no one else has to put as much chlorine in their pool. We have come to hate the darn thing because we are always fighting the algae.

So I am purchasing the new swg system now. Someone mentioned to me Circupool 60k? Is this still a good suggestion? My husband is very handy and can do most things but I worry about doing it ourselves. We definitely we need to hire an electrician since my husband can hook up a ceiling fan or a chandelier but isn't comfortable with more intricate electrical work.

Where do I buy this? I see it on discountsaltpool.com. They have an upgrade sale so I could get SJ55 for under $1000. Is this big enough for my pool? Is there another system I should consider? I saw people mention Hayward Aquarite?

How hard would this to diy? I don't necessarily want to go to the pool stores because I think they will give me a hard time about buying such a big system lol Any advice would be appreciated although not to technical because I have no idea what I am doing. I understand the SLAM process and having the test kits .... that's about it LOL

Last edited:
It looks like your current SWG can output .7 pounds of chlorine a day; the Circupool is probably around 3 pounds per day. Your current SWG would only be sufficent if you ran it all day - and you still might have to add chlorine!

Installation should be pretty straighforward since you already have a SWG, though feel free to hire someone if you (and/or your hubby) aren't comfortable with this sort of thing. Electricity and pools do not mix well if installed incorrectly!

I have the PureLine SWG that is designed for a 60,000 gallon pool, so mine is on a relatively short time every day. It has made my pool maintenance schedule a breeze! I installed it myself and I'm probably not much better of a handyman than the average person out there, though my setup is pretty simple. Hook up the power to the same circuit that controls the pump (you do NOT want the SWG on when the pump is off) and install the SWG and its flow sensor. Bond/ground the control box per your local code and you're off to the races!

PS Be sure you have a good test kit to measure your stabilizer, chlorine, and other water chemistry! Don't trust the pool store or test strips.

S,

You do not want the SJ version as they require a minimum salt level of about 3.5K.. I suggest that you go with the RJ series.. This this link...

Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

We always suggest a cell that is 2 x the volume of your pool.. But being in Jersey, you could get away with slightly less.

If your husband is just slightly handy, an DIY install should not be an issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: sersee
It looks like your current SWG can output .7 pounds of chlorine a day; the Circupool is probably around 3 pounds per day. Your current SWG would only be sufficent if you ran it all day - and you still might have to add chlorine!

Installation should be pretty straighforward since you already have a SWG, though feel free to hire someone if you (and/or your hubby) aren't comfortable with this sort of thing. Electricity and pools do not mix well if installed incorrectly!

I do have an electrician that is a good guy.. so maybe I could ask him if my husband gets wonky about doing it. We have to run the Dang thing all day and we still battle algae! It's awful

I have the PureLine SWG that is designed for a 60,000 gallon pool, so mine is on a relatively short time every day. It has made my pool maintenance schedule a breeze! I installed it myself and I'm probably not much better of a handyman than the average person out there, though my setup is pretty simple. Hook up the power to the same circuit that controls the pump (you do NOT want the SWG on when the pump is off) and install the SWG and its flow sensor. Bond/ground the control box per your local code and you're off to the races!

PS Be sure you have a good test kit to measure your stabilizer, chlorine, and other water chemistry! Don't trust the pool store or test strips.
Ohhh that's good to know! Im telling you... we hate our pool ! It is constant SLAMing and maintenance. I have the salt test kit and the big one through here. I use it so often , I could probably do it in my sleep. Is PureLine a brand?

S,

You do not want the SJ version as they require a minimum salt level of about 3.5K.. I suggest that you go with the RJ series.. This this link...

Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

We always suggest a cell that is 2 x the volume of your pool.. But being in Jersey, you could get away with slightly less.

If your husband is just slightly handy, an DIY install should not be an issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The RJ series requires less salt? Ok will check it out. So I probably should go with the 60. He is pretty handy. Is there any particular one that I should get? I know everyone here tends to like Circupool. I looked at the table and it seems the. Circupool has a good rating.. so I think I am answering my own question. I am clueless with this stuff. I can SLAM a pool like a pro though .

It's hard to appreciate at this moment, but once you get the new properly sized SWCG installed, your maintenance, through self-testing, will be a piece of cake. I was going to say breeze but that has negative connotations for you. And whatever other issues you have getting over the hump, we can easily assist you with.

The Circupool RJ-60 is a good option for your pool. It is a proven, quality brand.

Reactions: wireform and sersee
I have a Pentair and when it died it was easier to just replace it, and it had done so well by me it earned that right. If I had to buy the full controls also, or if i was making a big upgrade like you guys, i would have most likely gone with the circupool. It is very well member tested here.

Also I'd like to second what @bmoreswim just said. With a properly sized unit, pool ownership is a breeze. You have the testing down, and will need a slim percentage of adjustments going foward once its under control.

• Love
Reactions: sersee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a Pentair and when it died it was easier to just replace it, and it had done so well by me it earned that right. If I had to buy the full controls also, or if i was making a big upgrade like you guys, i would have most likely gone with the circupool. It is very well member tested here.

Also I'd like to second what @bmoreswim just said. With a properly sized unit, pool ownership is a breeze. You have the testing down, and will need a slim percentage of adjustments going foward once its under control.
I cant tell you guys how happy this makes me. I am glad someone here pointed out to me that my swg system wasn't going to cut it. I am here every year fighting the algae and going through SLAM after SLAM. We had to keep our current swg on boost all the time because my chlorine levels would just drop . We had algae almost all the time

Reactions: SunnyDayz4US
When do you open and close ? More often than not, the water temperature plays a bigger part in going green than the cover style does. 60 degrees is the point where algae starts growing. If you open before that point you will generally be clearer, and any algae you did get over the winter is far easier to kill. On the opposite side, you want to wait as long as you can to close as well for the same reason.

I'm on long island nearby and with our short season, most of my friends do Memorial/Labor day. That's great for the school/life schedule, but terrible for preventing the green swamp. And when they spend a few weeks in late May trying to control exponential growth, the longer process takes out precious swim time well into June.

With the TFP closing methods and timeframe, you should be crystal clear way more often than not, and easily fixed if not.

S,

Just as a point of reference, I have three saltwater pools and have never had to perform a SLAM in the combined 20 pool years they have been under TFP. Granted that we don't close, so they are open all year.. I'd just as soon fill my pools in as not have them be saltwater pools.

Thanks,

Jim R.

When do you open and close ? More often than not, the water temperature plays a bigger part in going green than the cover style does. 60 degrees is the point where algae starts growing. If you open before that point you will generally be clearer, and any algae you did get over the winter is far easier to kill. On the opposite side, you want to wait as long as you can to close as well for the same reason.

I'm on long island nearby and with our short season, most of my friends do Memorial/Labor day. That's great for the school/life schedule, but terrible for preventing the green swamp. And when they spend a few weeks in late May trying to control exponential growth, the longer process takes out precious swim time well into June.

With the TFP closing methods and timeframe, you should be crystal clear way more often than not, and easily fixed if not.
Oh yes when I was trying to beat the algae into submission, I did read about this. We open in April and close after Labor Day. Trust me, I could open it in feb and have a green swamp. We pour jugs of chlorine in and run the Dang thing 24hrs. We finally think we won and a week later womp it’s back. My chlorine is always low or non existent.

S,

Just as a point of reference, I have three saltwater pools and have never had to perform a SLAM in the combined 20 pool years they have been under TFP. Granted that we don't close, so they are open all year.. I'd just as soon fill my pools in as not have them be saltwater pools.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I have performed many . .. so if you ever need help one day, I am your girl ?. All joking aside.. thank you! I’m excited to get the correct swg system and like my pool again.

Go to discount salt pool, click on rj45 and upgrade for a $1 to the RJ-60+. I have two pools with it and just love the simplicity of the control and installation. Works as promised and won't let you down. Makes owning a pool enjoyable believe it or not. One thing is a must... you have to follow TFP method getting all the chemicals balanced where they belong to the very end before you hit the switch. Proper water balance per SWCG is key to smooth sailing without having wild swings in PH and the like. Good luck.

We pour jugs of chlorine in and run the Dang thing 24hrs. We finally think we won and a week later womp it’s back. My chlorine is always low or non existent.
From that description it does not sound like you follow the SLAM Process. Be sure to fully review that prior to starting it again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.