Build thread: Vinyl in-ground, 18x40, Fastlane, Autocover.

That is really coming together! You have a BIG house!!! Glad I don't have to clean it!! LOL

Kim:kim:
Kim, the cleaning seems constant! I’m hoping we’ll be outside more this summer and maybe the house will stay cleaner?! (Hahaha.) That picture probably makes the house look bigger than it is though. :)

Schwimmen, I do not think there’s an anode on the side of my fastlane! I need to ask about that ASAP. Thank you!

@schwimmen I found the anode! I think. I should have taken a picture, but it's about the size of a big ice cube and it's hanging off the front. YEA. I was kind of worried. Seems like your pool won't close for the winter, but do you know what will I do about replacing it on schedule in the winter when the pool is closed?

Here's a picture of the anode.

When they installed it, they didn't use a stainless bolt, so the bolt disintegrated and the anode fell to the bottom of the pool. We just replaced the bolt, but now we have to replace the anode! It's pretty straightforward. Seems like you just unscrew the bolt, replace the anode and screw it back into place. Shouldn't be an issue in winter because it's easily accessible from the side of the pool.

Attachments

• anode.jpg
    anode.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 74
Here's a picture of the anode.

When they installed it, they didn't use a stainless bolt, so the bolt disintegrated and the anode fell to the bottom of the pool. We just replaced the bolt, but now we have to replace the anode! It's pretty straightforward. Seems like you just unscrew the bolt, replace the anode and screw it back into place. Shouldn't be an issue in winter because it's easily accessible from the side of the pool.

Thanks so much! Mine is definitely more three-dimensional (from what I saw from the edge of the pool). My pool will be locked up tight in winter, and the Fastlane will be under the cover. Hmmm.... Maybe we'll put a bunch of anodes in there to overwinter??

Thanks so much! Mine is definitely more three-dimensional (from what I saw from the edge of the pool). My pool will be locked up tight in winter, and the Fastlane will be under the cover. Hmmm.... Maybe we'll put a bunch of anodes in there to overwinter??
I read one post about someone who doubled up on anodes. He said he was able to go longer between replacements that way.

Reactions: lazygirl1978
So I’m wrong — the anode I have is a rectangle, but it’s already remarkable corroded! So it looked 3D from a distance. Amazing.

All the equipment is now hooked up to the electrical panel, so I am ready for pool school. They can’t hook up the automatic cover until next week, after the concrete deck is in, but more on that below. I will note though, that it turns out they hooked up the fastlane hoses backwards, so right now the fast lane is sucking instead of blowing, so to speak. The people who installed it were concerned this would be a problem, so they warned us this might happen when we turned it on. They’re going to come fix it soon.

Pool chemistry help please? Well really less chemistry, more filtration maybe. Pool got really dirty last week when they spread gravel around to prepare for the concrete decking. The skimmers didn’t seem to be working, and return flow was low, but it turned out that the filter just needed to be backwashed. I didn’t feel comfortable doing that before going through pool school, so I hadn’t tried it myself, and the pressure hadn’t really changed. The pool builder came by and took care of it – the filter was really dirty. The skimmers are working great now and I can see there’s a lot more movement of the water at the same 1500 RPMs and there was before. The pool, though, has not cleared up much at all. Free Chlorine was 4, CC 0, pH 7.8, TA 90. I haven’t checked CH lately but it’s been steady at 175. I added chlorine this morning and have been running the robot. Right after the cloudiness started (after they spread gravel) my CC was .5.

Early on, it didn’t take long for the pool to clear. Is there just that much more dust now that the gravel is there? We get concrete on Friday so if that’s the problem, it won’t last long... ideas?

I should also mention it’s pollen season...not sure if that matters...

I’m hoping to swim this weekend!

Pollen does a number on my water! If you look real close you can even see it floating on top. I have to look a few times when I see my water is "cloudy" to make sure it is pollen.

You can push your FC up a bit to make sure nothing is growing to be on the safe side. Keep a close on the CYA/FC chart in my siggy below. You don't want to go over the SLAM level for you current CYA level.

My pH also plays a big part in my water's sparkle so check on that as well.

Are you still seeing a lot of plaster dust when you brush?

I am also really thinking the "dirt" around your pool is *helping* with your cloudy look as well. That will end when you get your decking in!!

Pollen does a number on my water! If you look real close you can even see it floating on top. I have to look a few times when I see my water is "cloudy" to make sure it is pollen.

You can push your FC up a bit to make sure nothing is growing to be on the safe side. Keep a close on the CYA/FC chart in my siggy below. You don't want to go over the SLAM level for you current CYA level.

My pH also plays a big part in my water's sparkle so check on that as well.

Are you still seeing a lot of plaster dust when you brush?

I am also really thinking the "dirt" around your pool is *helping* with your cloudy look as well. That will end when you get your decking in!!

No plaster dust because it’s vinyl. :). You really wanted me to have a plaster pool! Lol! I sometimes wonder if I’ll regret not going that route, but I spent that money on the poolhouse instead I think...

I’ll check chemistry this morning. I also need to empty the robot. It’s raining and now it’s supposed to rain tomorrow for concrete day. Ugh! Hopefully that changes!

CYA has been about 30 so I’m good I think. Time to go out in the rain and check the water.

FC 6
CC .5
pH 7.8
Cya 35 (maybe 40?)

Pool water is 64 degrees now. Almost tolerable!

Current photo below. We got the steps on Monday and I love them!! Huge improvement over the old steps (which were just two brick steps right out the door).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 77

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the pool builder sent someone out to fix the Fastlane (it works now!) and activate the heater (it's working!). He also turned on the SWCG. I mentioned the cloudy water (it's STILL cloudy). After he turned on the SWCG, he said I could take the pucks out of my skimmers. I said I had no pucks, that I'd been using liquid chlorine. He says that's why it's cloudy, probably, because not enough chlorine. I told him I'd added chlorine yesterday and it was 6 this morning. He said probably I've had too much chlorine (it's been between 3-6 this whole time). He said it's supposed to be at 1-2ppm. I disagreed and he said maybe he's wrong, it had been a long day....

Anyway. It's been raining all day, but I really think the pump should have cleared the dirty water by now! Anyone have any thoughts? Please tell me where he's getting those numbers.

Should I turn the heater off since the pool water appears dirty?

Updates:

The pool finally cleared up a ton after I realized the pump had been running a schedule, and was thus off most of the time, so I needed to switch to a manual mode to keep it running. The SWCG really puts out the chlorine! Because pump ran constantly, my chlorine went from 6 to 11, which was probably a good thing for clearing out the funk.

Concrete went down on Saturday. It felt like Christmas morning, so I was up before 6, and I heard the pump truck arrive at 6:05 (Sorry neighborhood). I picked up chick-fil-a for the crew around 9. The pour was done around 10, but stamping took until 12 or 1. We went with the pewter color stain and sheepskin stamp.

The guys came back this morning to cut the decorative saw marks in the decking (4x4’ squares). Then this afternoon they washed down everything in preparation to seal tomorrow.

I’d originally planned on broomed concrete but decided I’d really be happier with stamped. It was a last minute decision and delayed the pour by a day or so, but I'm glad I went with it! So much less expensive than pavers, and not something I’d easily be able to do later.

Saturday was a little stressful. My contractor was supervising the pour and watching the jigs and such that the pool company had put down (contractor is doing the pool house but not the pool). It’s a good thing he was there because one of the skimmer lids had been set too low by 2”, so he ran to pool store for an extender. Then he discovered the basketball jigs stuck out of the concrete by a centimeter or so. The concrete guys were able to get them flush with the decking. Sadly, the jigs and especially the pour-a-lids look rough though. The other skimmer lid also hadn’t been placed very well (a tiny bit too low), so it was way down in there and looks beaten up after being chipped out. I hope my contractor can figure something out... I’m really not happy with my pool builder at the moment!

Also, today I saw there are bubbles coming out the returns. I’ve done some research and am going to see if tightening the pump lid helps. I also know there’s a leak in a fitting between the pump and the filter—at first it only leaked when the pump was priming at 3450 rpm, but i think it’s leaking more often than that now. So I need to call the pool folks again. They need to install the autocover and the handrails etc so they’re coming back soon anyway.

My kids are desperate to get in the pool! I had hoped we’d swim this weekend but didn’t want to get the saltwater on the unsealed decking... plus chlorine is still pretty high.

On my list this week are to get my CYA up from 30 to 70 and my pH down (cya will help with that)! I’m sure those bubbles aren’t doing my pH any favors. Yikes.

Pics coming tomorrow morning! Time to go check the pump lid.

GURRRRRRRRRRRRRR I am not sure what happened on Thursday but I missed a LOT of updates on that day ? Of course yours was one of them! Sorry about that!!!

-sorry about forgetting you have a vinyl pool :roll: one day I will look down at your siggy and remember!
-CYA-I would call it 40 to be on the safe side. We round it up and set our FC from that number
-Those steps look awesome!! Good pick of the shape!
-64?? ALMOST tolerable??? NOT EVEN CLOSE hehe
-PB and numbers-he knows the "old school" numbers. Those numbers did not know or understand the CYA/FC relationship. You can show him the TFP numbers and even point out some of the science behind it. He might like to learn about it or not....some like to do things the way they have always done it.
-Your Cont. sure came to rescue on the pour he was not doing!!! Nice of him to step up like that!! GURRRRRRRRR on your PB for not doing HIS job!!!! I would not be happy with him either!!!
-Yeah having a pump that is RUNNING does tend to help clear a pool DOH Your PB should have noticed that but......yeah we are still mad at him!
-Get some o-ring lube (you can get it at a pool store) and put some on the basket like o-ring and see if that helps with the bubbles. If not let us know so we can do some more idea giving to fix that.

There I think I got it all! Going to have to talk to our IT guy and see what is going on or what happened on Thurs..........:hug: but I got caught up with you now so it it is all good!

Aww thanks for the detailed response, Kim! Ok here are some pics. View from the backdoor, the good skimmer lid, bad skimmer lid, and the basketball jigs.

Concrete is being sealed today! I think they’re going to try to fix the bad skimmer lid. I also sent a carefully worded text to pool people about all the trouble along with pictures. No response yet.

Contractor and I measured, and we will for sure need the 8’ diving board.

Attachments

• D9956B8E-03F9-4B6A-BBD0-6AF19DF4F250.jpeg
    D9956B8E-03F9-4B6A-BBD0-6AF19DF4F250.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 84
  • A387B85F-0DED-4235-8CDC-093F5B7E905C.jpeg
    A387B85F-0DED-4235-8CDC-093F5B7E905C.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 88
  • EC912F13-4133-43C7-B521-95661B6280EA.jpeg
    EC912F13-4133-43C7-B521-95661B6280EA.jpeg
    428 KB · Views: 83
  • 49EB87EF-A05B-4A12-90D1-B914C6687627.jpeg
    49EB87EF-A05B-4A12-90D1-B914C6687627.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 80
The SWCG produces bubbles when it is generating chlorine - if they are tiny bubbles ,and lots of them, it could just be from that. Mine change in size depending on the pump speed a little bit as well - so I see bubbles that range in size from carbonation sized, that are hardly visible, to 1/8-1/4" sized ones at different times and pump speeds.

The SWCG produces bubbles when it is generating chlorine - if they are tiny bubbles ,and lots of them, it could just be from that. Mine change in size depending on the pump speed a little bit as well - so I see bubbles that range in size from carbonation sized, that are hardly visible, to 1/8-1/4" sized ones at different times and pump speeds.

Oh, interesting. I started noticing the bubbles on Monday, and we turned on the SWCG on Thursday night. So it might just be that. It might also be that I can't get my pump lid on tight enough (or the O-ring needs help...it did fall off last time I opened the pump lid, so could have gotten dirty/out of alignment). Thanks for the info! The bubbles are definitely mostly tiny. I'll turn off the SWCG and see what that does...

OH the bad IS bad :(

Right? It looks like someone's sad skimmer lid from 30 years ago. Good news: the concrete guys still have to pour the walkway to the outdoor shower, so when they do that, they'll also pour me a new skimmer lid! Or that's the plan my contractor came up with. My pool people are sending someone over to address the leak, but now we can't walk on the concrete until late tomorrow because of the sealer. I'm meeting with the Pool Builder tomorrow for pool school, so I'm sure this will all come up.

Pool school was postponed until after the PB could get programming done. I kind of can’t wait to experience pool equipment automation!

Deck sealed. Painting done. The shower has been enclosed but still waiting for good weather to pour the slab for it.

We finally swam this weekend! I got the water up to 72 by the time the boys swam, and then I swam Sunday night at 77 but it felt colder — air temps in 60s. The fastlane is a lot of fun! I love that these kids love the water at any temp. Heater is off now. Automatic cover is coming tomorrow, so I won’t fee bad about using the heat again when it’s on.

Dog loves the water. I’m terrified of getting holes in the liner and almost regret my decision not to go fiberglass or plaster, but I am glad I shifted that part of the budget to the Poolhouse. So far so good. Dog’s nails have been trimmed and dremel-tooled smooth. I just keep him away from corners.

Electrical is working at the poolhouse — have my Wemo switches and Kuna lights (with cameras) online. I’ll eventually have Alexa out there, so I can just say “Alexa, turn on the lights” and have light on the equipment pad. Right now I enjoy being able to make sure the lights are off with my phone. I’m so glad I put up those shower lights! So thanks to those who encouraged me on that.

The Dynatrap mosquito catcher has been running for about a week. After about three days I saw it had captured a bunch of mosquitos and some moths. Hoping this helps our evening bug situation, and so far I’m encouraged.

PB fixed the leak on the equipment pad last week. I was worried I had a new leak this weekend — the equipment pad was soaked! Turns out the heat pump can put out 6 gallons of condensation, so that explained it. The water went away after I turned off the heater Sunday. My pad has a drain, but it was still covered up (hazard of working with poolhouse contractor separate from PB), so hopefully that has been fixed. Similarly, the Autocover housing drain pipe was still sealed with duct tape, so the housing had filled with water.

I think I’ll just have figured out a routine for the pump and SWCG when I get the cover, and then I’ll have to figure out a new routine! Finally got FC down to 3.5 today. PH is 7.5 now and hasn’t risen much since I added muriatic acid last week. My pH was threatening to go over 8. Adding cya helped lower ph, but then it went back up. Then the muriatic knocked ph down and it has stayed, even with agitation from the fastlane, pumps, and splashing kids. Interesting. I guess I’d like ph at 7.7 ideally, but I know it’ll get there.

Will keep updating. Today they mainly seemed to be grading around the decking. Hoping to get poolhouse interior finished this week. (Right now the walls are 90% up. Need to finish those and then put in flooring, bath fixtures, railing for and ladder to loft, slide and access door.)

Spa goes in May 11. I’d like to find an electrician to hook it up on that day (a Saturday). We’re excited for summer!

Attachments

• E3574BE9-67FF-4005-A511-9EAD0667FAC7.jpeg
    E3574BE9-67FF-4005-A511-9EAD0667FAC7.jpeg
    487.5 KB · Views: 55
That pool house is SO pretty! I love the colors! Very classy!

I still giggle when I even thing about the slide to exit the loft! SO JELLY of your family!!

Glad your fastlane worked and you enjoyed it. Did you find a good swim stroke so you could stay in one place?

Kids will tell you "I'm not cold!" even when their skin is blue and teeth are chattering LOL I bet they slept good that night!

pH-don't try to force your pH to YOUR number....let it find it's happy place with TA. It looks like it has found it already so let it ride and see what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.