Build thread: Vinyl in-ground, 18x40, Fastlane, Autocover.

I feel like I saw a unicorn tonight! Ran to Walmart while son was at scouts to get bleach and CYA. Hit the bleach first and put six bottles in my cart. Each was born sometime in February or early March. Then I went to the pool area for CYA. I was in this exact place on Saturday and there was zero liquid chlorine. Today there were shelves and shelves full of it!! 10% and just $1 more than the 5.8 or whatever’s $2.54 price. Seemed like a good deal. And their Julian dates were basically last week (10 days later than my best bottle of regular bleach). Score! I couldn’t believe this bright gleaming wall of liquid chlorine! So I picked up 6 bottles and ran (literally) back and replaced the bleach bottles and made it back to scouts on time.

So that’s my PSA. Apparently pool season has arrived at Walmart. I didn’t actually believe I’d ever find 10%, especially this early.

Reactions: kimkats
We have brought you over to the "dark" side for sure!! I could almost see you running to put up the other stuff!! I pictured a smile on your face as you skipped up to buy the chlorine!! Happy day for you for sure!!! Today is the first day of Spring so I guess Walmart got the memo and started with the pool stuff!

Kim:kim:

I forgot to get the diving board measurements last night. I will do so tonight. I was working nearby outside, thought about it and still forgot!

You are correct. 4' of deck will seem too tight around the diving board. I have 10' on that end but it's more than is needed. We had planned for a structure at that end also. 7-8' seems just right to me.

I feel like I saw a unicorn tonight! Ran to Walmart while son was at scouts to get bleach and CYA. Hit the bleach first and put six bottles in my cart. Each was born sometime in February or early March. Then I went to the pool area for CYA. I was in this exact place on Saturday and there was zero liquid chlorine. Today there were shelves and shelves full of it!! 10% and just $1 more than the 5.8 or whatever’s $2.54 price. Seemed like a good deal. And their Julian dates were basically last week (10 days later than my best bottle of regular bleach). Score! I couldn’t believe this bright gleaming wall of liquid chlorine! So I picked up 6 bottles and ran (literally) back and replaced the bleach bottles and made it back to scouts on time.

So that’s my PSA. Apparently pool season has arrived at Walmart. I didn’t actually believe I’d ever find 10%, especially this early.

This is the time of Year that Menards puts their 12.5% out. Currently, it has an 11% rebate.... but in a few weeks, it usually goes on sale for, wait for it, buy one get one free! I take advantage or the bogo and stock up. And as a bonus, I save my "rebate checks" and use them on the chlorine.

This is the time of Year that Menards puts their 12.5% out. Currently, it has an 11% rebate.... but in a few weeks, it usually goes on sale for, wait for it, buy one get one free! I take advantage or the bogo and stock up. And as a bonus, I save my "rebate checks" and use them on the chlorine.

Whoa! We have a Menard's in town even. I'll keep an eye out! Thanks! I bought 7 bottles of the 10%. I figure that, even when my SWCG gets running, I'll need the liquid chlorine for SLAM purposes.... I expect some heavy bather loads this summer! Does that sound right? You SWCG folks still keep liquid chlorine around, right?

Talked to my PB, and she says that they will make sure the diving board more than covers the Fastlane. I sent her my pictures and told her I thought I probably needed to upgrade to an 8' board.

My excitement from today is that I was talking to my pool house construction guys this morning about the interior space, and we've decided to build a loft in the "attic" space of the poolhouse. I'm SO EXCITED about it! The high ceiling will be good for ventilation and a great little hideout for the boys --- they've always wanted a treehouse/clubhouse! So it can be theirs, and when they've outgrown it, it'll be great storage space. We're talking about putting a round widow up there (maybe on both sides of the building) for ventilation and natural light.

Reactions: kimmielea
More followup on Jim's post --

Music: Ugh. My plan is to use Sonos out there. I just don't have the (mental) bandwidth to deal with it right now. Where would you put speakers? I'd need to run electric, but I wouldn't have to run speaker wires with Sonos. My thought had been to just use a wireless speaker out there plugged into the wall. If I ever did something like an outdoor movie, I think having more speakers would be great...

Be careful with Sonos Speakers. I don't think they are rated for outdoor use (even when under a cover out of the elements). I want to get some for our outdoor covered patio, but I fear the Texas heat will render them useless.

On the bleach with a SWCG, yes, I usually bump up my FC with maybe half a gallon right before a party, then the other half afterwards depending. And always good to have one on hand in case there is a vomit or AFR (accidental fecal release) into the pool. So the swimming can begin in a reasonable amount of time instead of being over.

Fun thoughts about the attic playhouse!

Be careful with Sonos Speakers. I don't think they are rated for outdoor use (even when under a cover out of the elements). I want to get some for our outdoor covered patio, but I fear the Texas heat will render them useless.

So I was thinking that the Sonos outdoor speakers would solve all my problems, but turns out they still have to be wired back to the Amp. Phooey! I guess I'll have the guys throw some wire up in the corners. Thanks for making me look at this again, GN!

On the bleach with a SWCG, yes, I usually bump up my FC with maybe half a gallon right before a party, then the other half afterwards depending. And always good to have one on hand in case there is a vomit or AFR (accidental fecal release) into the pool. So the swimming can begin in a reasonable amount of time instead of being over.

Fun thoughts about the attic playhouse!

Thanks! Out of curiosity, what DOES happen when you have a vomit/AFR problem? You remove the offending substance and then...what's the calculation you use for how much bleach and how long do you usually have to wait? Test after X period of time and then let 'em in if the FC isn't too high? I'm glad you brought this up! I have to think a scenario like this is in my future...

This is where you are going to LOVE knowing us here at TFP! In case of yuckies in the pool you will get *it* out if possible. All people out as well. You will turn your pump on high and test the FC. You will then add enough chlorine to push your FC to just under SLAM level for you CYA as seen in this chart: Trouble Free Pool With you having kids I would print this one out and keep it with your testing box so you don't have to stop and find it on line. Wait 30 or so mins then test again to make sure it is about the same FC levels and turn them loose!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I was thinking that the Sonos outdoor speakers would solve all my problems, but turns out they still have to be wired back to the Amp. Phooey! I guess I'll have the guys throw some wire up in the corners. Thanks for making me look at this again, GN!
Yes, unfortunately (for me), they require hardwired to an amp. Love the sound and quality of Sonos and I am willing to "wait" until they develop an outdoor standalone speaker.

Reactions: lazygirl1978
Just for reference, my 8' diving board extends 24" over the water surface. The base of the diving board could be located 9" closer to the pool before the base would be at the pit cover stones (though it may start interfering with the winter cover if it were that close). From the pool side where the base meets the ground to the deckside end of the diving board it is 37".

Keep in mind that if he comes back and says a 6' board will work, it doesn't mean it's the best option.

Fastlane went in today! It’s not hooked up to its brain yet, so it’s not functioning, but it’s in.

Concrete goes in next week. Then I can get the autocover and they’ll finish hooking everything up.

Poolhouse roof is on, and the loft is underway! Plumbing and conduit has been run to the house.

Today we decided to add what I’m calling the “emergency escape tube” out the back from the loft area. I wanted another way down (other than the ladder inside), so we’re going with a slide. It costs about the same as the window we were going to put there! There will still be a window on the other side.

I’m testing the water every other day or so. CYA finally at 40. The pH is around 7.7. TA and CH haven’t changed. Keeping chlorine at 4. So far, so good! Had to add some water tonight for the first time (other than rainfall), so I’ll test again in the morning. My liner was sagging a bit at the corners apparently because water was too low, but I waited to add water til the fastlane was in.

And that’s the latest!

Attachments

• 2E12B818-6111-47D8-8F08-E0CDC08E2761.jpeg
    2E12B818-6111-47D8-8F08-E0CDC08E2761.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 324
  • 82D5830D-D549-40F6-8D69-209168A08B38.jpeg
    82D5830D-D549-40F6-8D69-209168A08B38.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 55853696-CBDA-41B7-903F-2CCA233E10A9.jpeg
    55853696-CBDA-41B7-903F-2CCA233E10A9.jpeg
    762.9 KB · Views: 84
You are adding what??? Oh my that will be FUN!! Will it have a door or such to close it off? How did you even think of that? What a giggle that will be to use!
Thanks, Kim! I’m so excited about it! Weight limit is 250 lbs, so it’s not just for kids. :). Lazygirl loves a slide! We’ll have some sort of door or hatch or something to close it off from visiting raccoons...

Looking good! Excited for you to get the Fastlane hooked up. We love ours (sorry I never got back to you about that!). It was a big chunk of change upfront, but it's made a huge difference in how functional our pool is. We were a bit concerned when ours started making a loud knocking noise after a couple of weeks, but as promised by their tech support, it stopped after several hours of running it and hasn't returned. Now if I can just find more sacrificial anode blocks to attach to it... Our first one is already kaput.

Looking good! Excited for you to get the Fastlane hooked up. We love ours (sorry I never got back to you about that!). It was a big chunk of change upfront, but it's made a huge difference in how functional our pool is. We were a bit concerned when ours started making a loud knocking noise after a couple of weeks, but as promised by their tech support, it stopped after several hours of running it and hasn't returned. Now if I can just find more sacrificial anode blocks to attach to it... Our first one is already kaput.
Oh, please tell me more about sacrificial anodes! This feels like a stupid question, but where/how do they attach? I see that i have a zinc anode in the plumbing on the equipment pad, and I wasn't sure whether that was a typical place for one to be for any pool or if that's for the fastlane.... I know very little about anodes other than that I want one. Thrilled to hear you're loving the fastlane! I'm excited to try it out.

I've been quiet because there's not a lot of excitement to report. I will take some pics tonight or tomorrow morning --- gravel backfill and grading today to prepare for concrete, so we're finally seeing progress! The poolhouse has siding on 3/4 of it, the columns are up, and we have a door! The pool equipment will be hooked up to the real electrical panel tomorrow, supposedly. Today the skimmers didn't appear to be doing anything, so someone was supposed to come check it out. Pump is running at 1500 rpm...which was enough to suck before...so I'm not sure what could be wrong. All the valves are open and filter pressure is fine... Anyway, more later!

The s. anode is a rectangular piece of metal (zinc, I think) that attaches to a wire on the side of the FL. I can take a picture of it tomorrow. It‘s my understanding that they need to be replaced every 2-3 months. Based on how corroded ours is, I‘m guessing it’s working. I‘m planning to order several more from Endless Pools. From what I‘ve read, theirs are more effective than some others on the market that contain other metals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.