Build thread: Vinyl in-ground, 18x40, Fastlane, Autocover.

What is the temp of your water right now? Here is hoping you can jump in this weekend! Any idea when they will do the decking and such?

Temp is probably 50! Air temp this weekend will be in the 40s, but we got 70 degrees yesterday so there’s hope. I think deck will be in within about 3 weeks. Hopefully sooner, but I’m preparing myself. Then the autocover can go in — after fishing all those leaves out of the skimmer and worrying about one getting sucked down, I won’t be sad to have less of that to worry about. Where’d all these leaves come from?!

This morning’s read:

FC 13 (!!!)
CC 0
pH 8.2
CH 200
TA 100

I feel like the water isn’t mixing well. I took the sample from the deep end about a foot down. I really want to get a robot in there to stir things up. Should I put my pump speed higher? 1500 right now.

Your FC and CH changed just like PoolMath predicted using 30,000 gallons.

Don’t use more calhypo in your pool. Use liquid chlorine.

Where’d all these leaves come from?!.

You now have a pool and they all told their friends. There's no escaping from the leaves now. If you didn't have a tree within a mile of your house, they would still find you.

Last edited:
Your FC and CH changed just like PoolMath predicted using 30,000 gallons.

Don’t use more calhypo in your pool. Use liquid chlorine.

Interesting. The PB folks put me down for 23,000 gallons in their computer --- I'm not sure whether that was some default number or intentional. I'll ask. Did the calhypo result in the crazy chlorine reading, do you think? I definitely plan to use liquid chlorine in the future, but I'd wanted to do what the pool folks want for right now (plus, they're giving it to me for "free") while we're still within the contract period (so if something goes wrong, I can point to their chemicals). Is there a longterm problem potential if I go that route?

You know have a pool and they all told their friends. There's no escaping from the leaves now. If you didn't have a tree within a mile of your house, they would still find you.

There needs to be an LOL button!

@kimkats , you'd asked about storing the acid, and YES, you told me in the fall that it needed to kept under lock and key somewhere away from the other chemicals (and away from kids). I haven't quite figured out where that'll be...

I'm going to pick up a loaner robot from the PB today around lunchtime. The water was DEFINITELY better this morning --- I can see the bottom! --- but it's a gross mess in there. I'll feel a lot better if I can get the gunk out. I'll also get some CYA while I'm there...

Thanks everyone! Here's a pic, taken after I brushed a little, so it's not as clear as it was.
IMG_6322.jpg

New post for new topic. See the equipment pad? As I've mentioned, it's a little crowded (even though they told me they'd just need 8x5, and I gave them 10x5). The fastlane equipment still needs to go up there. It's really hard to get to the pump and the filter right now. I think this will improve a lot when we do some more grading and raise the level of the ground up so it's closer to the patio height. But it would've been a lot better to have the pump on the outside edge of the pad rather than right by the wall. Can anything be done about this at this point? I will have the automation system, so hopefully I won't have to physically go back there much, but I figured I'd ask the forum for thoughts. I'm really glad we put all of this more or less outside and not in a closet, as it turns out!

57412513232__BD762B2E-ED1D-48AB-8300-AE5E4BDA6605.JPG

Interesting. The PB folks put me down for 23,000 gallons in their computer --- I'm not sure whether that was some default number or intentional. I'll ask.

Why ask? They sold you more than you thought you were buying. It is what it is.

Did the calhypo result in the crazy chlorine reading, do you think?

It gave you exactly the FC reading I said it would in post #76. Pay attention to the chemicals you are adding and use PoolMath to tell you the effect of adding chemicals BEFORE you add them.

I was not concerned with a FC of 16. You have a pool with no CYA and no one swimming in it yet. A high level of FC will protect it from algae and sanitize it from whatever had got into it. The FC will drift down rapidly without CYA. So that FC level is good, not crazy for your situation.

I definitely plan to use liquid chlorine in the future, but I'd wanted to do what the pool folks want for right now (plus, they're giving it to me for "free") while we're still within the contract period (so if something goes wrong, I can point to their chemicals). Is there a longterm problem potential if I go that route?

You now have your CH level at 200 which is ok. Your fill water is CH 100 and your water will accumulate CH over time from the fill. You don't want to artificially raise your CH using cal-hypo. Too high a CH will cause problems and the only way to lower CH is by draining. So don't add any more CH using cal-hypo.

I'm going to pick up a loaner robot from the PB today around lunchtime. The water was DEFINITELY better this morning --- I can see the bottom! --- but it's a gross mess in there. I'll feel a lot better if I can get the gunk out. I'll also get some CYA while I'm there...

You are going to get dirt into the pool until the construction is complete and the deck is in.

Well, it will never be super easy to get to your pump. I do remove my pump in the winter because it has frozen (from corrosion not ice) after being left out in the damp/snowy environment for 5 months. Since you have a sand filter, you won't need to access it much, except to rotate the valve to backwash it. My small/simple pad was not well plumbed. I had it redone after a few years when I removed my booster pump and pressure side cleaner for a robot. Here's a link to the before and after. Pad layout, before and after.

I don't think I'd bother have them replumb it but I wouldn't argue against it either.

The PB should have given more thought to your equipment pad layout. My guess is the plumber thinks he is an artist and does not own a pool and maintain it. At this point any changes will create other issues. You will curse them every time you bang your shin on the pipes as you go to service the pump or filter.

Only way to fix it is to start over with the equipment plumbing and electical and place the equipment differently.

@ajw22 , thanks --- glad to know the high chlorine is not a concern (I know it'll dissipate, but still) for the equipment.

Thanks for all the equipment pad thoughts. Glad to know no one thinks it's a big deal. The plumber thinks he's an artist -- Ha!

I picked up the loaner robot, and, guys, I am SOLD on these things. Wow. I've only seen Polaris-type cleaners in action. Look at the clean stripe left behind this Dolphin! My 7yo is in love. Ours will be an Active 30i, but this Endeavor does good work:

IMG_6326.jpg

(Don't worry, I cleaned out the clogged skimmer again and addressed that floating bag of salt. I never thought I'd be as happy as I am to have a cover on its way...)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't wait to hear what y'all name your robot! That is a part of the fun!

-equipment pad-I bet if you put a step or two on the right hand side you will be able to get up there to work on it when needed such as opening the lid and cleaning out the basket in there.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! The step is a good thought. We’re going to raise the grade so I might not need it. Glad y’all agree someone just wasn’t thinking.

My review of the Endeavor: it stirred up the pool a bunch and its reservoir was STUFFED! It was kind of a pain to clean out. I’m glad I have the 30i coming—its basket looks easier? I ran the Endeavor for a second three hour cycle and now am resting it overnight.

Tonight’s tests

FC 4
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 90

I had to run off and parent, so I didn’t do Calcium.

Interested to see how things look tomorrow. I need to buy cya and bleach.

Last edited:
You don't HAVE to squeeze it. BUT if you do it will go faster. Me? I walk around in my pool and squeeze until it is gone IF it is warm enough for me to get in. If it is still too cool, like now, I just put it in a sock and hang it over the side right in front of the return. You can use a broom handle with something on the land end to hold it down.

I bought bleach at Walmart today along with cya. Cya is currently being added via three knee high stockings. I’ll check levels when I’m supposed to and will add bleach tonight as appropriate. I probably should have bought more than 2 gallons! Glad I was familiar with this site, so I knew that I was supposed to check the Julian date on the bottles. Some of those bottles were six months older than others! I bought two that were made just a couple weeks ago.

Bleach was $2.54 for the blue, $2.60 for the green “cleaning” label. As far as I could tell they’re substantively identical. Both 6%. I bought the blue.

TFP does so much good for so many in many ways! I hope you stick around and share what you have learned. It is all well and good for us old timers to say this and that BUT when a person new to this steps in and shares they tend to remember stuff we have forgotten others don't know or just a fresh perceptive!

Reactions: lazygirl1978
Good question! We thought about this and decided it would get left on and attract bugs and be gross. There will be light bleeding over from the patio/indoors, and it's unlikely that I'll need to use it in darkness. If I do, I decided I would bring a flashlight or use my phone flashlight. I guess I could put one in and set it on a timer.... I'm going to think about this. Also, a camp lantern would work if we had a party that I thought would go late....

Other thoughts? They're digging this morning and it's getting REAL. This feels like either my best idea or my worst idea ever.

I’m late to the game. Nice build.

I would also add a light and throw it on a timer. If u forget timer takes over. Or you can still turn it off when done. The other thing I thought but wasn’t sure how far you are is have a separate light switch for the bathroom bs storage area. I’m still reading so I’ll stop there.

I’m late to the game. Nice build.

I would also add a light and throw it on a timer. If u forget timer takes over. Or you can still turn it off when done. The other thing I thought but wasn’t sure how far you are is have a separate light switch for the bathroom bs storage area. I’m still reading so I’ll stop there.
Thanks! We’ll have four separate switches for bathroom, main indoor space, patio, and the equipment area. Bathroom will be combo light and exhaust and it’ll be on a motion sensor and timer. Main indoor space also on motion sensor and timer. Outside I’m trying to figure it out. I need something outdoor rated but I want it on a timer also. (Can you tell I have a real aversion to the idea of noticing from my bathroom that the light is on outside and having to go turn it off myself?). For the shower, I’m thinking about small solar powered motion sensor lights that I can install towards the top of the outer wall of the shower. That would solve my problem of having to have an outdoor rated light switch there.

I didn’t use any outdoor rated switches for my pool house. They r covered from the elements that’s all. They are actually zwave for automation which have chips in them. I have installed them outside many times for installs I have done and as long as they r under cover where they won’t take on water we have had zero failures.

Anywhere you can locate the switches which will put them under cover? Not overhang cover. Pushed back 4 or 5 feet cover I’m talking about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.