Bubble in returns / brown water in lines not frequently used

Hello Wise Ones,

Two quick questions:

1) The force of the flow of water coming to my spa return line is intermittent and weak. Also, there are bubbles coming out of one of the returns to the pool. I have read that this indicates there is air in the system, but I have no idea why bubbles would only be coming from ONE return and not all. The spa still overflows like normal, but I'm not sure whether or not the overflow is a normal rate or weaker. I checked the cartridge filter o-ring as well as the o-ring in the pump basket, and both look fine. Any ideas?

2) I have two pumps (both recently replaced). One pump pulls from the spa only. This pump was dead for 2 years (really no use for it, since our heater isn't hooked up). After I replaced it, I ran it and the water was a nasty brown. I pumped that water out into a toilet and thought that was the end of it. There is a small leak at the top of the pump outlet (I must have screwed up the PVC installation), and I haven't gotten around to fixing it. I'm also in no rush, because, like I said, I don't use that pump. Well, I turned it on the other day for grins, and the water was brown, but quite as nasty as the first time. Does this sound normal to you guys? Does stagnant water turn brown from bacteria, etc? After all, I can leave water in a bottle for a few weeks and the water will remain clear.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post some pics of your equipment pad with the two pumps.

Is your spa pump hooked up to have filtered and chlorinated water? I have seen pics of two pump setups here where the spa pump was not in the filter and SWG loop.

Your bubbles are likely coming out fo the closest return and there are not enough air int he system to get carried to the other return. Do you have an air buble under the basket cover of the pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.