jberrymd

Jul 21, 2016
edmond, ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have noticed quite a few bubbles coming out a jet in our pool. Did a pump inspection and replaced the clear lid and O ring and no more bubbles! Today we have bubbles again. Checked the new part, used some magic lube on O -ring and no change. I pulled the drain plugs on pump and added a little thread tape, still bubbles. Checked the skimmers and weirs. All normal. I see no leak at any pipe union when starting the pump or turning it off.
The only thing that has happened is torrential rain and now the water level is higher than the skimmer holes. I know low water level can cause air to get sucked in, but could too much water? Could not think of a reason it would but nothing else has changed.
Any input would be appreciated.

I have noticed quite a few bubbles coming out a jet in our pool. Did a pump inspection and replaced the clear lid and O ring and no more bubbles! Today we have bubbles again. Checked the new part, used some magic lube on O -ring and no change. I pulled the drain plugs on pump and added a little thread tape, still bubbles. Checked the skimmers and weirs. All normal. I see no leak at any pipe union when starting the pump or turning it off.
The only thing that has happened is torrential rain and now the water level is higher than the skimmer holes. I know low water level can cause air to get sucked in, but could too much water? Could not think of a reason it would but nothing else has changed.
Any input would be appreciated.
Any valves in front of the pump?

Yes. I wondered if there were a problem with that valve, but when the new lid seemed to solve the issue I assumed it was a crack in the old lid. I have recently changed the actuator on that valve but it was getting air prior to that.

Yes. I wondered if there were a problem with that valve, but when the new lid seemed to solve the issue I assumed it was a crack in the old lid. I have recently changed the actuator on that valve but it was getting air prior to that.
Actuator won't cause air leak, but the stem and lid O rings of the valve can. Very often overlooked when searching for a suctio leak.

Reactions: jberrymd
I also have an old salt generator (Intellichlor IC-60) in-line that we are not using anymore. Could that be an issue?
SWG is after the filter. Any leak would be water.
How do I find those? I have never taken valve apart.
Remove actuator, 4 screws. Remove lid, 4 more screws. 2 O rings on the stem, 1 on the lid. The O rings for modern 3-way valves are all the same, regardless of brand. Need to lightly lube them.

DO NOT use a power screwdriver to reassemble, you can easily crack a valve body. There is no fixing that, only a replace.

Reactions: jberrymd
I lubed the o-rings and air issue was solved. Turned the spa valve (not the one before the pump) and air is back. Seems like when spa/spillway is “on” the air is decreased. Could it be sucking in the spa valve?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.