n12unix

Jul 2, 2020
Toronto
Hey TFP, hoping to get some advice on how to proceed with a broken skimmer fitting. Little bit of background on my pool and the problem.

- Pool is a vinyl liner pool, liner is only about 2-3 yrs old but the pool is probably 30-40 yrs old. Steel wall construction, plumbed with black poly, which seems to be super common up here in Canada with older pools.

- I only moved into this house last year, had issues with air bubbles coming from the returns and a leak detection confirmed a leak on the suction side. They put a bunch of epoxy inside the hole (which I can feel) and provided me the following details in their repair quote “Remove and replace broken fitting under skimmer”

- Skimmer is a Jacuzzi (Carvin) brand with 2 holes at the bottom, the main drain hole is plugged because no main drain for this pool.

I had a bunch of concrete work I had to do around the pool and patio this year so I just dug up the surrounding concrete and dirt to expose the skimmer and plumbing to replace the broken fitting.

Now as far as I can tell, the broken “fitting” is the piece that extends from the bottom of the skimmer for the pipe to connect to, so this means the skimmer itself is cracked. I need to confirm this still but the other issue is that I think the fitting the pipe goes into the skimmer appears to be glued right in, so I have no idea how this could even be fixed without replacing the entire skimmer.

My question is, if this is in fact the case, can I just plug the back hole currently being used on the skimmer and plumb the line from the pump to the front hole in the skimmer where a main drain would normally be connected instead? I came across another post on the forums (Why are there two holes at the bottom of my skimmer?) and it seems like this is acceptable, and referred to as a reserve line?

Appreciate any help or suggestions!

Reactions: n12unix
Thanks for confirming @mknauss! Now I just need to figure out how to unplug the 2nd hole. It looks like there might be a plug inserted from the bottom, because when I look at it from the top all I can see and feel are a few threads where a gizmo or plug would typically be screwed into but there isn’t one - the actual hole is just closed over with plastic.

Attached a couple pictures to show what I mean from both the top and bottom views.

Attachments

• 422CC522-DE7D-455A-9701-3F89122F0832.jpeg
    422CC522-DE7D-455A-9701-3F89122F0832.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 2A30404D-4FDD-4239-9505-8751E0F151C4.jpeg
    2A30404D-4FDD-4239-9505-8751E0F151C4.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 11
Might be able to drill out the plug and then use a connector over the top like the other one.
I was just thinking about that actually, thank you! Glad to get some validation on what seems like insane ideas initially haha. Figured I’d just use a hole saw and power away at it from above…. Will likely give that a shot this week if it’s glued in and I can’t get it to budge, will keep this thread updated as I go.

Cheers!

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.