LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Argyle, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So my torsion spring on my garage door broke the other day. I recall seeing a torsion spring being replaced at one time and remember hearing about it being a fairly dangerous undertaking for the DIY type. But I am a DIY type and I like challenges. I thought that maybe, just maybe, there was some information on how to do this safely somewhere out on the interwebs. :mrgreen: Turns out that there is and it can be found here http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm in an article entitled "How I replaced Deadly Garage Door Torsion Springs and Lived to Tell the Tale".

The author of the page is a super smart person and explains the process and how to do it safely very well. Some of the wording is very technical, but the author is, after all, an engineer. Much of it is fairly entertaining too, especially the scam avoidance section. Bottom line is that it works. By following simple steps and being safe about every move you make, it isn't difficult at all. For about $26 for the new spring, I had it done in about two hours. Still have all of my digits too! Saved me about $200 :-D

I'm a DIY'er and can't stand to pay someone for something I can do myself (just ask my wife). Having said that, I would gladly pay someone who knows what they are doing to replace that spring! :p

Yeah, I'm a DIY'er as well, with a background in engineering, and have done more than my share of maintenance work on buildings in general and doors in particular. I found myself researching this same thing not too many years ago.
I didn't follow the link, so I cannot comment on that particular advice, but I can tell you this:

The easy issues are getting the right springs (you want to replace both in a pair) and knowing how much to preload and get them even. The tricky part is actually doing the preloading of the springs. While in theory, cranking the springs up with a couple of bars of cold-rolled steel is not rocket science, after a few pulls, fatigue tends to set in. This makes it tough to keep a good pull while clamping w/ vise-grips or tightening the setscrews so that you can let off the bar. There is real danger of one of the bars getting away from you when your arm starts to go. The potential energy stored in one or two of those springs can easily be deadly.

Personally, I would have been OK with it if I had a partner to help. I mean a good mechanically-inclined work partner. I would not have asked my wide or kids to help on that job, nor would I do it alone.

There are some specialty tools that are designed to wind those springs safely, but they are pretty pricey too, when they are available.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.