Bought house with a swamp pool

Drained and deep cleaned filter. Sand looks great, albeit very dirty. No clumping or glue holding it together. Does seem very low though, probably half the filter filled. Trying to find manual to see how much it is supposed to have

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
View attachment 400415

This white slime on all the filters and inside the sand filter, is this bacteria?

Also, after removing the top of the sand filter and opening the drain plug, is it supposed to drain super slow? Like a couple hours to empty?
Yes it can take a day or two to drain the filter. If the drain plug lateral is clogged. Have you probed the floor of the pool for debris? It could be full of leaves. It may have been better to just drain that pool clean it out and start over. I fill filters to the top of the 2inch pvc side. You can fill them a liitle more or less. 1/2 full or 3/4 full of sand. 12 bags of sand for the 100s filter sizes, 17-18 bags of sand for the 140s. 6-8 bags for the smaller 60s.

Last edited:
Yes it can take a day or two to drain the filter. If the drain plug lateral is clogged. Have you probed the floor of the pool for debris? It could be full of leaves. It may have been better to just drain that pool clean it out and start over. I fill filters to the top of the 2inch pvc side. You can fill them a liitle more or less. 1/2 full or 3/4 full of sand. 12 bags of sand for the 100s filter sizes, 17-18 bags of sand for the 140s. 6-8 bags for the smaller 60s.

Manual said no higher than 10" below the pipe in the middle, and it's around 12" below that, so looks good there. Just filtering till pressure is high and backwashing during the day, running in recirculate during the night when I'm asleep.

Yesterday night, got the FC up to 12ppm, and when I tested it just after sunrise, it still tested at 12ppm FC and 0.5ppm CC. Still really cloudy, but it is clearing up slowly. Can now see the 3 step on the shallow end and can see the return jets around the pool now.

Reactions: Newdude and kimkats
Yesterday night, got the FC up to 12ppm, and when I tested it just after sunrise, it still tested at 12ppm FC and 0.5ppm CC. Still really cloudy, but it is clearing up slowly. Can now see the 3 step on the shallow end and can see the return jets around the pool now.
Making progress! Keep the FC up and keep slamming, if you have 0 FC OCL and .5ppm CC you are getting there...just need to have clear pool to complete SLAM.

Pics are always nice and can help us help you.....

Tom Cruise Help GIF by MOODMAN

FC still holding steady with CC being the faintest pink you can barely see.
OK so it's dead and now it's the babysit the filter game. And wait. And wait some more. I'd be adding DE to speed it along. I'd rather backwash every 20 mins than wait for it to filter on its own.

Also want to make sure you emptied the ladder. That's a couple gallons each side of old pool water, possible ready to start swamp #2. And all up in the skimmer or anywhere else it could be hiding.

Also want to make sure you emptied the ladder.
This. Clean the inside of the tubes with Bleach water.

My slam would have been 3 days. Turned into 5.5 because that algae was in the ladder!

You will be fine, keep the slam up. Sand filters just take the longest to clear. Throw that S300 into the pool and keep it running, will help, particularly if you have fine filter. Run that all the time if you do, really helped me.

Reactions: V___25
OK so it's dead and now it's the babysit the filter game. And wait. And wait some more. I'd be adding DE to speed it along. I'd rather backwash every 20 mins than wait for it to filter on its own.
Buying some tomorrow. Until today, the filter was having to be backwashed every 30 mins or so. Finally getting to where sand filter isn't filtering quite fast enough.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The plates pop up and a bolt pulls a wedge tight against the ladder. Loosen it 2 turns. The ladder then pops straight up but is likely stuck from debris. I taped up a 2x4 under the rails (tightly) and swung a sledge up at the 2x4 directly under each rail. Mine needed some love each year at closing. It was an awkward swing but it worked.

The plates pop up and a bolt pulls a wedge tight against the ladder. Loosen it 2 turns. The ladder then pops straight up but is likely stuck from debris. I taped up a 2x4 under the rails (tightly) and swung a sledge up at the 2x4 directly under each rail. Mine needed some love each year at closing. It was an awkward swing but it worked.
Pulled up that metal plate around the foot of the ladder, it's cemented into the decking, never to come up again.

OK. It should have rubber feet that pop off. They protect the liner a bit better than a hollow pipe with a person on the ladder. :ROFLMAO:Pop one at a time, holding that rail away from the wall and try to swish the water out. At least you'll get some new water in there.

OK. It should have rubber feet that pop off. They protect the liner a bit better than a hollow pipe with a person on the ladder. :ROFLMAO:Pop one at a time, holding that rail away from the wall and try to swish the water out. At least you'll get some new water in there.
Yes, it does have rubber feet. I'll remove them and use a turkey baster to squirt some liquid chlorine up there. Dang I really wish the water was warmer today, lol. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Can now see the bottom drain, new cord came in for S300 and pool is now free if leaves and getting close to being completely clear. Problem now is that the center drain is clogged up pretty bad. Best way to clean it out? Swim down with a screw driver and remove it?

Literally looks like someone submerged a metal rod in coolcrete. The metal collar is just cosmetic. Really hope the ladder never gets damaged.
Not to worry. If something happens you can cut at the deck and install one in the same place that attaches to the deck. That is how mine is installed....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.