Borate threw my balance off

There are several forms of the tetraborate compound.

Anhydrous sodium tetraborate. Na2B4O7

Sodium tetraborate pentahydrate. Na2B4O7•5H2O

Sodium tetraborate decahydrate. Na2B4O7•10H2O

Borax is Sodium tetraborate decahydrate, which dissolves in water according to the following reaction.

Na2B4O7·10H2O --> 4B(OH)3 + 2Na+ + 2OH- + 3 H2O

Sodium tetraborate pentahydrate is basically the same thing except with 5 water molecules attached instead of 10.

Na2B4O7·5H2O + 2H2O --> 4B(OH)3 + 2Na+ + 2OH-

The net result on the pH and TA is basically like adding 2 moles of sodium hydroxide per mole of Borax.

Adding 47.6 lb of Borax is equivalent to adding about 10 lb of sodium hydroxide.

1629124647845.png
1629124865689.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PoolStored
Found a thread that talks about this exact thing. Almost identical result. The recommendation here is to just add acid to whenever the pH goes up, and over time the alkalinity will come back down. Do you agree?
The easiest/cheapest way I found to reduce high TA is to reduce pH with Muriatic to about 7.0. (CO2 outgas is highest from 7.0 to 7.2). This will also reduce TA. Then I aerate to raise pH back to 7.4, then repeat. Reduced TA from 140 to 70 in about 3 days with this method. This is what I built and put it on top of a sump pump in the shallow end (see post #4) --> DIY Aerator The "Trick" is to make LOTS of small bubbles. I can reduce TA 10 points in 12 hours in my 31K gallon pool, and it's a kinda fun water feature...kids love it).

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.