How is this for a DIY aerator?

May 23, 2015
Coventry, RI
I’m trying to lower my TA on my AGP but was struggling to find a way to easily aerate my pool. I have a PoolSkim on the return so couldn’t point that up or install a water feature. Not a lot of splashing in the pool either.

So I put a sump pump on my stairs with no hose attached.

Is this sufficient to aerate and raise my Ph? Any guesstimate on a 13.5k gallon pool what general ballpark of time I am probably looking at to go from 7.0 to around 7.8? I’m gonna have to lower Ph again to drop the TA again. I’m at 100 TA and just added chems to lower my Ph from 7.6 to 7.0

Makeshift Pool Aeration - YouTube

Just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration and allowing me to steal your design @DeanP66. Toward the end of last year I was dealing with this same High TA and low PH issues. I tried turning on my slide, putting an air compressor hose in the water and nothing was really working. Now I'm able to lower the TA using Acid and raise the PH by screwing this thing into one of my returns for a day or so. Per my wife, I had to spray paint it, so you couldn't see any of the PVC primer. Turned out pretty nice based on eyeballing everything against Dean's build. Thanks!

Attachments

• 7AzwyUh0Qqi5a8LdclrluA.jpg
    7AzwyUh0Qqi5a8LdclrluA.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 12.24.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 12.24.10 PM.png
    523.1 KB · Views: 183
I built mine for about $20 from Home Depot. I hooked it up initially to my pressure side cleaner port, but have since moved it to a submersible pump because of the cost savings in electricity. Here it is:

Do you have a parts list for this? I have basic DIY skills but plumbing is like rocket science to me. I actually will assemble stuff w/ PVC inside Home Depot to make sure everything fits lol. Reducers, couplers, adapters, all that Crud , confuses the heck out of me.

I bought one of these from ebay (Flower Swimming Pool Fountain) for the kids and aeration but it looks something I could make (and I can't make much w/ PVC) and it broke in less than 2 months. Your invention inspired to me to make one of these.

You can use either 3/4" or 1" pvc. I used 1" to give it a little more strength. You'll need:

1) 5 45's
2) 1 cross
3) 3 end caps
4) 2 90's
5) 1 union (to screw and unscrew it quickly out of either the wall or a pump)
6) a couple of feet of pipe (5' max)
7 a 3/4" threaded fitting that has a 3/4' or 1" coupler on the other side that will screw into your pool wall.

You'll have to drill a few holes in each of the end caps where the water will shoot out.

I made an arm extension with a cap on the end of it so I could place a 1x1 paver on top to hold it in place on the deck. If you screw it into the wall, you don't need this, but if you attach it to a submersible pump like I did, it helps to keep it from moving when it's running.

@DeanP66 Another shout out for your design. After getting "Pool Stored," TFP helped me figure out up from down. This aerator, on a sump pump is GOLD. Can raise my pH .4 in 12 hours in a 31,000 gallon pool. Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m trying to lower my TA on my AGP but was struggling to find a way to easily aerate my pool. I have a PoolSkim on the return so couldn’t point that up or install a water feature. Not a lot of splashing in the pool either.

So I put a sump pump on my stairs with no hose attached.

Is this sufficient to aerate and raise my Ph? Any guesstimate on a 13.5k gallon pool what general ballpark of time I am probably looking at to go from 7.0 to around 7.8? I’m gonna have to lower Ph again to drop the TA again. I’m at 100 TA and just added chems to lower my Ph from 7.6 to 7.0

Makeshift Pool Aeration - YouTube
how big of a sump pump looking to pick one up and make a DIY aeration

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.