Booster pump not coming on, communication lost error

Pieroz

Jun 1, 2023
New Jersey
my pool pump works great, my booster pump is only three years old, it tries to come on, then trips off. Just replaced my interflo vsf pool pump.
I have an easy touch system. I have a communication lost error I am also trying to resolve. Can you help me ?

P,

Most booster pumps are single speed so they do not have any communications. They are turned on and off by a relay.

What booster pump do you have?

If you don't know, show us a pic.

Did your new IntelliFlo pump replace a single speed pump? If so, I suspect the new IntelliFlo is connected to the load side of your pump filter relay, which is wrong. IntelliFlo pumps need constant AC power.

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

Most booster pumps are single speed so they do not have any communications. They are turned on and off by a relay.

Did your new IntelliFlo pump replace a single speed pump? If so, I suspect the new IntelliFlo is connected to the load side of your pump filter relay, which is wrong. IntelliFlo pumps need constant AC power.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim, sorry just saw your reply. I had the same type pump before.

P,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Attachments

• IMG_3127.jpeg
    IMG_3127.jpeg
    573 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3129.jpeg
    IMG_3129.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3131.jpeg
    IMG_3131.jpeg
    833.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3133.jpeg
    IMG_3133.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3135.jpeg
    IMG_3135.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 7
P,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim, thank you for your help. Just sent you bunch of pics. The communication lost is on, my booster is not coming on, it clicks but does not come on. I turn the knob by hand and it does turn.

P,

Let's work on one problem at a time..

Put your EasyTouch into the Service Mode and then push the Aux 1 (cleaner) button. Does the Aux 1 light come on? Does the pump start or not? Does the pump make any noise?

If it does not start, then the problem could be..

A bad relay inside the EasyTouch
A bad booster pump, most likely a bad start capacitor.
A bad cable between the EasyTouch and the pump.

Do you have a voltmeter?

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

Put your EasyTouch into the Service Mode and then push the Aux 1 (cleaner) button. Does the Aux 1 light come on? Does the pump start or not? Does the pump make any noise?

Do you have a voltmeter?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim, the light comes on but nothing on the pump. I do not have a voltmeter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
P,

Do you have a voltmeter?

Thanks,

Jim R.
With the panel on service mode the booster comes on and off hear it.

P,

You don't want the booster to run very long without the main pump running.

I am confused by your answers, so let's try this again...

This time put the system into the Service mode. Push "F" button and see if the main pool pump runs. If it does, then push the Aux 1 button and tell me if the booster pump is running like normal.

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

You don't want the booster to run very long without the main pump running.

I am confused by your answers, so let's try this again...

This time put the system into the Service mode. Push "F" button and see if the main pool pump runs. If it does, then push the Aux 1 button and tell me if the booster pump is running like normal.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes the pool pump comes on, the booster came on normal

Jim, another thing, my pump looks like it is operating manually, as the display on the pump indicates. The easy touch is on Auto.
By the way; when I put it on service mode, the screen gives me a lost power error and the screen goes dark.

By the way; when I put it on service mode, the screen gives me a lost power error and the screen goes dark.
P,

If the pump screen on your IntelliFlo goes blank, when the EasyTouch is in the Service mode, it means that your pump is not wired correctly.

I suspect it is wired to the load side of the pump/filter which is wrong. The IntelliFlo should get constant AC power.

It sounds to me like you have two or three separate problems.

If the booster pump runs when in the Service mode and the Aux 1 button is pushed, then it can't be a bad booster pump.

And you have some kind of com issue. :scratch:

I need you to run one more quick test and then we can see what we can fix.. I assume you have ScreenLogic... Is that true?

If so, do the following..

Put the system back into AUTO.
Use ScreenLogic and turn on a pool light. Ensure that the ScreenLogic light Icon turns green to indicate the light is on. Then, go out and actually visually confirm that your light is on. Next, go over the the EasyTouch and turn the light off by pressing the Aux 2 button. Ensure the light is actually off. And finally, look at ScreenLogic and confirm that the ScreenLogic light icon is off.

Please let me know how that test worked.

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

Great!! Here is what I 'think' is going on..

Your pump is incorrectly wired to the load side of your pump/filter relay. This relay is only closed when in the pool or spa modes.
When you are not in the pool or spa mode the pump is shutting off because the relay is open and the pump has no AC power. This causes the system to see a com issue with the pump. The booster pump will not run because normally you need the main pump to run before the booster will come on. I suspect this is due to a programming (schedule) issue with in the EasyTouch,.

The first step to fix this will be to move a couple of wires on your Pump/Filter relay. To make sure we both understand what wires to move, I will need to see some pics of the inside of the EasyTouch showing the relays and circuit breakers. And, at least one close up of wiring at the Pump/Filter relay. Normally this is the relay in the upper left side of the bank of relays.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, I will take pics tomorrow and send you.
However, we have had this pool wiring since 2013. The only thing we just did, is replacing the pool pump two months ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3129.jpeg
    IMG_3129.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3130.jpeg
    IMG_3130.jpeg
    612.8 KB · Views: 4
P,

I suspect the new pump sends the lost com signal a little quicker than your old one.

I bet the problem started shortly after you got the new pump... ????

Either way, it is something that needs to be fixed.

When I troubleshoot, I always try to eliminate the obvious first. Even if it does fix the problem, you have removed it as a possible cause..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.