Bonding Resin Pool

Mommax2

Apr 7, 2021
New jersey
Today I had my pool inspection and I failed for the bonding. I bought a blackrock Carvin all resin pool. My inspector is saying I still need to put a copper ring around the pool. This does not make sense to me as there is only one spot on the pool to bond at. Can someone please help? He also told me the article that says I need the ring around the pool. That doesn’t seem accurate when the whole pool is resin.

Welcome to TFP.

What is the problem with putting a bonding wire around the pool and bonding it to the one point on the pool and continuing it to your pool equipment?

Do you have a water bond point with your pool equipment?

We don't know your design around your pool but the bonding grid (ring) around your pool is there to protect people from any stray currents in the pool area.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have an all resin pool, and I did the bonding loop around mine. I bonded the water by installing a metal plate in the skimmer (can find on Amazon, called a Burndy Water Bug) and running that to the loop with copper wire, and the one metal part, the wall connector rod, is also connected to the loop with copper wire.

I’m still using my old Intex pump, which doesn’t require bonding, but will bond my new pump when I install.

Bonding the ground around the pool provides stray voltage protection so that if someone's leaning over the side of the pool and putting their hand in the water there cannot be a difference in potential between the ground under their feet and the water, because the two are already connected.

So the buried bond ring is important on its own, not just as a means of providing the 4 connections on a metal pool.

I'll tell you one thing about inspectors in my county:
They are always right. Argue them with facts and proof, they dig their heels in even deeper. They are out if control! I'd like to defund the inspectors!
However, I'd like to agree with hwy17 right above me...

Yeah I just read the 2017 NEC section on bonding permanent pools and that’s correct. You definitely need a bonding wire buried around the pool even if it’s all resin. this is connected to a water bond and all your equipment bonding points. @hwy17 covered the reason for this.

Welcome to TFP by the way. Please stay and we’ll help you keep your water crystal clear all year long!

I have an all resin pool, and I did the bonding loop around mine. I bonded the water by installing a metal plate in the skimmer (can find on Amazon, called a Burndy Water Bug) and running that to the loop with copper wire, and the one metal part, the wall connector rod, is also connected to the loop with copper wire.

I’m still using my old Intex pump, which doesn’t require bonding, but will bond my new pump when I install.
Umm I did not know about this whole bonding thing! I hope this is something the installers will do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh lord. More expenses that I was not aware of lol. I figured all of this was handled as part of the installation. 🤦🏻‍♀️
You can do it yourself- @kellyfair can show u her pics - maybe have the installers dig the small trench for the wire unless they are already digging down to install the pool then u can just lay it in & attach it

Oh lord. More expenses that I was not aware of lol. I figured all of this was handled as part of the installation. 🤦🏻‍♀️
It’s not expensive. Hardest part was digging the little trench and getting the wire to stay put. It comes in coils and is pretty stubborn. We ended up digging, burying, weighing it down with a cement block, going another foot or so, using another block to weight it, and so on. Once whole loop buried, it all stayed put. Until my greyhound dug up a portion.

It’s not expensive. Hardest part was digging the little trench and getting the wire to stay put. It comes in coils and is pretty stubborn. We ended up digging, burying, weighing it down with a cement block, going another foot or so, using another block to weight it, and so on. Once whole loop buried, it all stayed put. Until my greyhound dug up a portion.
I used some of these to hold the wire in place in the trench as I went around the pool:

Reactions: magiteck
I searched high and low for a contractor that would do it ALL so I wouldn't have to deal with multiple contractors. No such luck. I need an electrician in addition to our installer.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Y’all, seriously it isn’t hard to do yourself. And if your soil isn’t super sandy, it should be even easier than mine was. I couldn’t do a shallow trench because it would fill itself in before I could come back with the wire, so one of us manned the shovel and the other dropped in the wire right behind the shovel, then smoothed the dirt over it.

Y’all, seriously it isn’t hard to do yourself. And if your soil isn’t super sandy, it should be even easier than mine was. I couldn’t do a shallow trench because it would fill itself in before I could come back with the wire, so one of us manned the shovel and the other dropped in the wire right behind the shovel, then smoothed the dirt over it.
So this is something my husband could do without calling an electrician? He knows some electrical but it’s not his specialty. Sorry, I’ve had a long day and I’m just confused lol

So this is something my husband could do without calling an electrician? He knows some electrical but it’s not his specialty. Sorry, I’ve had a long day and I’m just confused lol
Bonding? Absolutely. Or you. Or both of you!

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Bonding? Absolutely. Or you. Or both of you!
See, when I did a search on bonding on this forum, all of the explanations were so overwhelming and made it sound like a HUGE deal and it was like trying to read Greek. So I’m relieved by what you’re telling me. I don’t understand all the big words and terminology when it comes to electricity lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.