I'm not an expert, but compared your photos to mine at that stage. The returns look about the same height in relation to the rebar and middle of the skimmer.

Our drains were deeper, with only the actual drain part visible above the dirt/rebar. I dont know if that actually changes anything functionally, but it is different than mine. Maybe they did it that way because there was so much rock?

Lastly, I'm looking at the skimmer. Is that a return that is right below your skimmer? Are there concerns that it would push stuff away and make the skimmer less effective?

Reactions: foo.c
The returns look fine, actually.. remember that the gunite will be about 4" above the top of the cage. I tend to agree with you on the floor though... ideally those would have been buried, but since the rebar was installed first I don't know what you could do about it other than blocking up the floor a little more in that area. My build had the plumbing in about the same place for the returns, but the floor piping was buried to the surface of the dirt. The places where the rebar is touching the plumbing is no bueno though.

It seems like you have a substantially larger pool for about the same price as building mine was, so maybe the BYOP isn't a bad idea. I wish I would have had the time for it.

Lastly, I'm looking at the skimmer. Is that a return that is right below your skimmer? Are there concerns that it would push stuff away and make the skimmer less effective?

On a new build, that likely is a Venturi line (yes a return, it creates more suction in the skimmer by using the output flow to make a Venturi), needed for the operation of that type of skimmer. It's part of the design of that type of skimmer.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ_Tex
It seems like you have a substantially larger pool for about the same price as building mine was, so maybe the BYOP isn't a bad idea. I wish I would have had the time for it.

I work from home so I am able to get out a little bit and observe/question as best I can with the communication barrier. (These guys were too quick for me though.) It seems like to get a pool done right you have to be more involved than the PB, so I decided I might as well be "rewarded" for that.

I honestly didn't grok the size of the pool until they started digging. We don't really have any structure to our yard, so it's all just numbers and artistic rendentions until you see it for real, and now that I have I would be ok with it being smaller. Good problem to have though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The gunite and I bonded over a beer and the water hose. It sure is thirsty, you can hear the capillary action. Kinda neat. Pretty good chance of rain the rest of the week, that should help.

I called the company that is doing the rest of the work and they are ready to come out next week and do the tile and coping. I just have to pick out the tile.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.