foo.c

Jul 3, 2018
Georgetown, TX
Signed a deal with BYOP Austin today. I interviewed a handful of PBs and I just felt like I was going to have to spend a whole bunch extra for good customer service. One guy even told me that if I wanted a good pool I should be involved every day and shouldn't wait to bring stuff up, which in that case I might was well take over the project management and save myself money. I work from home so I should be able to work around my real job.

The design will be a medium-large, free-form pool with a sun shelf and a bubbler, and a few lights. The wife really liked the Primera Stone plaster that one PB showed us, so probably getting that. Also, depending on how much we save we may add some extra decking, patio extension, and a cabana or something.

Wish us luck!

Good luck!

Progress reports and pictures are always appreciated.

Reactions: BowserB

One of our issues is just figuring out where to put the pool. I hope to some day build my detached "garagemahal" as well, so the location needs to allow for that.

Also we want to thin out and push back Mirkwood Forest as part of this.

Its hard to tell from the overhead view, but it appears you have a "backyard" then a heavily treed side yard. I would definately put the pool in the backyard for ease of access to the house and you typically want to be able to see the pool from the house and have it be the focal point of the backyard. It doesnt look like you can use your side yard for that. I would save the side yard for your garagemahal. Good luck and nice looking property.

The white mark isn't the pool location, it's where the estimated price of my house was. (I got the pic off Zillow.)

The location is probably going to be up and over from there and more towards the back of the house. I'd like to put it in the cleared area, but that's our septic field.

I'd like to put it in the cleared area, but that's our septic field.
Free aeration and fill lines :)

Seriously though, if the view from your house is the current septic field, I would consider moving that. It just seems like a waste to have your pool off to the side and not visible and easily accessible from the house.

I wouldn't have put it there but it doesn't really impact anything aesthetically. It kind of looks like a small meadow.

A lot of people in our neighborhood have had problems with their systems and ours has been relatively trouble free (knock on wood), so I'm not touching it if I don't have to. I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap to move either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice looking pool. I would not put a tree that drops leaves there. If you want shade put in some umbrellas.

I like your design! Good swim lane and a nice chatting shelf!

I like the idea of raising the wall up to be a sitting wall. How high would that need to be? How high is the seat of a chair? I would go that high.

Kim:kim:

We got out the tape measure and determined 20" to be the height we wanted.

As far as the trees, we really want to keep them and given the number of trees we would still have leaves in the pool are inevitable. We can always cut the trees down later if we can't stand it.

We got out the tape measure and determined 20" to be the height we wanted.

As far as the trees, we really want to keep them and given the number of trees we would still have leaves in the pool are inevitable. We can always cut the trees down later if we can't stand it.
Haha! Looks good. Keep the chainsaw handy. Some people's love side of the love/hate relationship with trees does win out. Not many, but some.

If in fact you do swim, you'll want a 4' shallow end to avoid busted knuckles. There have been several discussion this week that 3 1/2' isn't deep enough to avoid it without altered strokes for those folks.

And I'll throw out my two recommendations that I like:

Channel drain: A&A Manufacturing AVSC Channel Drain Dual Suction Gunite w/Hydrostatic Relief Valve Fitting - Black #556412

Skimmer cover: Pour-A-Lid

Reactions: foo.c

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.