Blowing out combo skimmer valve assembly

xrabbi

Jun 22, 2020
NYC
I have this valve at the bottom of our combo skimmer/main drain (Hayward SP1082VG) :
20201101_101538.jpg
According to instructions, you switch between suction from main drain and skimmer by turning the red-handled valve straight up or horizontal (or in between). The manual shows a plate assembly for the opening as well but PB apparently did not install the plate here. I'm getting ready to close the pool for winter and have lowered water level to below the skimmer. With this kind of combo valve, how do I now blow out the suction and return lines with shop vac? The pipe coming up to bottom of skimmer from main drain will presumably always be filled with water so how to isolate and run air through only the line to pump? (And do I need to worry about the pipe from main drain freezing and bursting over winter since it will be filled with water??) Thanks.

I would remove the valve so you can access the skimmer and main drain holes.

For the main drain you can push a 4’ piece of foam rope into the hole and be done with it. It takes patience and good fingers to push against the water pressure. Then plug the hole with the foam rope in. Hold the plug down with your pinky while using thumb and index to push the rope in.

Blow out the skimmer from the equipment pad side and plug the hole with a plug or Gizmo.

More closing tips at Closing Pool for Winter - Further Reading

Ok to blow out lines through pump, filter, heater, etc.? Not sure I have a good spot on equipment pad to insert shop vac.

You can blow the suction line skimmers from the pump basket.

Post pics of your equipment and plumbing if you want suggestions.

You need to plan out access for winterization when planning your plumbing.

Your pic does not show me the suction side of your pump or which pipe leads to your pool returns. Give me some more details on your water flow to work with.

Remove your SWG to blow into your return lines.

There is one suction line and one return line, both go through the wall at top left of the picture. Suction line is the one in front, it comes downs into the pump through a single Jandy valve. Then, as you can see, water flows to the right, through the filter and heat exchanger loop (if open), then back up and around to the left through the SWG and out.

Blow out your skimmers from your pump basket area.

Blow out your returns by removing the SWG and that gives you access to the returns.

Also, I have seen others say you blow from the skimmer all the way around through the returns -- not a good idea?

I doubt your shop vac has the power to do that.

Maybe a Cyclone could.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.