Blower motor issue

bamayadds

May 1, 2021
Oklahoma
I have a new pool and when I switch it to spa mode on the aqua link app and turn the air blower on it will only run for 5 minutes then shutoff. It won’t work the rest of the night but if I try it again the next evening it will come on for 5 minutes and shutoff again. Any ideas what might be going on?

It sounds like the blower may have a blockage and is overheating. Sometimes they aren’t glued down and you can pull them off the pipe. I’ve found wasp nests inside blocking air flow that result in the thermal switch shutting it off.

Welcome to TFP.

Do you have a VS pump? What speed are you running the pump when in the spa? Read…

Read Spa Blower Overheating in Spa Air Blower - Further Reading

Your pool builder may not have constructed your spa jets correctly.

Your spa jets may be blocked by construction debris.

You have pics of the spa plumbing before the gunite was poured?

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Do you have a VS pump? What speed are you running the pump when in the spa? Read…

Read Spa Blower Overheating in Spa Air Blower - Further Reading

Your pool builder may not have constructed your spa jets correctly.

Your spa jets may be blocked by construction debris.

You have pics of the spa plumbing before the gunite was poured?
I do have a variable speed pump and it's an 8'x8' hot tub with 9 jets I believe. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the plumbing. I told the pool tech that we weren't thrilled with the water pressure in the spa because my wife likes it to feel more like a massage. He turned the pressure up and from what I can tell from the aqualink app it looks like he might have set it at 3450rpm. It did seem like the blower lasted longer before he increased the speed. Even with the speed increase its still not super powerful and I also tried closing a few of the nozzles. I found a picture of the nozzle that looks very similar to the one we have. Is there a nozzle that puts out more pressure? If we want high pressure and the blower function is our best option to have a tee and ball valve installed?

Attachments

• IMG-0726.PNG
    IMG-0726.PNG
    495.6 KB · Views: 3
  • WATERWAY-212-7617__29463.1551852519.jpg
    WATERWAY-212-7617__29463.1551852519.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 3
Let’s work on one problem at a time.

Open all the nozzles.

Lower your pump speed until you find a speed that the blower likes. Tell us what that is.

What HP is your blower?

Higher pump speed should make it easier to push the air in due to more venturi action.

Can you describe the plumbing for the spa suction, return and air line including the length and diameter?

What blower do you have?

You can make a water level to check the air pressure.

Let’s work on one problem at a time.

Open all the nozzles.

Lower your pump speed until you find a speed that the blower likes. Tell us what that is.

What HP is your blower?
I will try this when I get home from work and let you know what I found out. It looks like you have the aqualink RS as well. How do you change pump speeds in the app? I should probably lookup the manual and get more familiar with the app since it doesn't seem like its the most user friendly.

Higher pump speed should make it easier to push the air in due to more venturi action.

Can you describe the plumbing for the spa suction, return and air line including the length and diameter?

What blower do you have?

You can make a water level to check the air pressure.
I'll take some pictures of our setup when I get home and I believe its a Jandy 1.5HP but will verify that as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A venturi works by lowering the pressure based on the flow.

The air should get pulled in even without a blower as you can see in the below video where the air is being pulled in at the two pipes.

1630514356994.png

Disregard my earlier post. It being a new pool didn’t click. If he has the waterway jet heads the pb most likely used the assembly. Looks like it’s 2-2.5” water 1.5” air and the port is 1” and the Venturi in the jet head 5/16”. By having some of the jets closed may be causing too much back pressure like James and Allen said.

When the blower is off, the water in the tubes should be at the same level.

When the blower is on, the water near the blower will go down (B) and the water away from the blower will go up (A).

The height differential between A and B will be the air pressure.

If the pressure is more than 50" (4' 2"), the pressure is too high and the airflow is too low.

The water at A will go up the same amount as the water at B will go down.

So, you can mark the level before the blower is turned on and then measure from the starting line to A and double the reading and that is the air pressure in inches of water.

For example, if the water from the Off level to A is 25", the total pressure is 50" of water.

1630516907739.png
1630517937645.png

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.