Bleach shortage

shawes

Gold Supporter
Apr 14, 2020
Houston, Texas
I'm brand new here and haven't converted over yet. I'm ordering my test kit and reading up first.

Can someone tell me difference between the liquid chlorine and household bleach? I have to admit that I would rather pay a bit more to get it from my small local pool store than give my money to a large chain store. But if I'm getting something from bleach other than a better price I will.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Chemically identical. The issue with household bleach is that most have additives. Fabric Protection. Cloromax, splashless, scents, etc. Best to not use those in a pool.
Check Home Depot, Walmart, farm stores, cleaning supply stores, etc for liquid chlorine

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Pool supply will be essential in any jurisdiction run by people with a lick of common sense. There are serious health implications from non maintained pools. (Mosquitoes)
That makes sense to me. Along with that a green pool is a risky pool- we've all read the stories of kids drowning after wandering off in green pools and no one *sees* them for days.

Last edited:

shawes

Gold Supporter
Apr 14, 2020
Houston, Texas
Chemically identical. The issue with household bleach is that most have additives. Fabric Protection. Cloromax, splashless, scents, etc. Best to not use those in a pool.
Check Home Depot, Walmart, farm stores, cleaning supply stores, etc for liquid chlorine
So the liquid chlorine I get from the pool store is good? I really do prefer to support small businesses.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Sure. Liquid chlorine is sodium hypochlorite which is bleach. The concentrations just vary. No additives.

Not sure where you are in Houston, but there is a chemical company near Spring that sells liquid chlorine in bulk. You have to have your own refillable containers that are of a proper dimension.

winnw

Aug 24, 2017
CT
Oh boy! That's my go to store in Canton CT for chlorine, went the other day and picked up 2 cases, maybe should have gotten more.

tcat

Silver Supporter
May 30, 2012
Austin, TX
Check HD site daily, it shows accurate stock (or lack of). Buying 4 cases (of 3) saves $1 per case, $3 per gallon for 10% is cheaper than any pool store here in Austin. Our local HD was out of stock for 2 weeks, then one day I noticed it had 38 cases. Went and got me 6 (18g). Fresh stock.

reynolds357

Jun 14, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Check HD site daily, it shows accurate stock (or lack of). Buying 4 cases (of 3) saves $1 per case, $3 per gallon for 10% is cheaper than any pool store here in Austin. Our local HD was out of stock for 2 weeks, then one day I noticed it had 38 cases. Went and got me 6 (18g). Fresh stock.
I bought 8 cases today. 3 of them looked 10 years old. I guess they will be good for washing clothes anyway.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Noooooo! Check the Julian date for when they were manufactured. Anything older than say, 9 mos? might as well be water if its sat outside in the heat or sun. Take it back.

Maddie :flower:

tcat

Silver Supporter
May 30, 2012
Austin, TX
Mine were 20 101, HD stock churns pretty fast. Not as fast as the grocery I used to buy 8.25%, but now they cost more and are 6%. 10% at HD is my go to.

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Mine were 20 101, HD stock churns pretty fast. Not as fast as the grocery I used to buy 8.25%, but now they cost more and are 6%. 10% at HD is my go to.
My local HD stores were all showing low inventory so I ordered online to get 6 cases delivered to my house for the $9 delivery fee. A guy showed up the next day with 5 cases and I don't know which of my 5 local HD's it came from but it doesn't matter since I didn't have to run around town checking stock. I just have to now call HD back to get refunded for my 6th case, which is a pain.

Julian date showed they were only a couple weeks old. Seems as if the bleach shortage is actually improving the quality due to inventories having to be replenished so quickly.

I am also using... wait for it... TRICHLOR!!! No one is buying pucks to make disinfectant.

Mike Hawk

Oct 28, 2014
Tulsa OK
No one seems to have wised up to Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid 10% @ my Wally World, a whole rack with ~40 bottles has gone untouched.

Brickseek Inventory Checker, just plug in your zip. Your mileage may vary if it's actually in stock. If it says 6+ you have a somewhat good chances of it being in stock.

Reactions: shawes

tcat

Silver Supporter
May 30, 2012
Austin, TX
No one seems to have wised up to Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid 10% @ my Wally World, a whole rack with ~40 bottles has gone untouched.

Brickseek Inventory Checker, just plug in your zip. Your mileage may vary if it's actually in stock. If it says 6+ you have a somewhat good chances of it being in stock.
The 10% at HD is only $3/g. Usually fresh. Website stock info is also updated daily.

cgabb5

Mar 20, 2019
Wichita, KS

No one has realized it here as well. Julian date is 20 029 so a couple of months old right now, but it's all I have for an option. I opened my pool in middle of march and have been using it pretty much nonstop. Think I have probably another 40 gallons to go. I know it's older, but better than nothing. I have it stored in my basement storage room now. Dark and cool. I'm hoping that will buy me some time.

Looks like it's still working as my tests are all coming back positive. Actually slamming right now, due to an abundance of rain and wind lately here in KS.