Bleach shortage

I'm brand new here and haven't converted over yet. I'm ordering my test kit and reading up first.

Can someone tell me difference between the liquid chlorine and household bleach? I have to admit that I would rather pay a bit more to get it from my small local pool store than give my money to a large chain store. But if I'm getting something from bleach other than a better price I will.

Chemically identical. The issue with household bleach is that most have additives. Fabric Protection. Cloromax, splashless, scents, etc. Best to not use those in a pool.
Check Home Depot, Walmart, farm stores, cleaning supply stores, etc for liquid chlorine

Pool supply will be essential in any jurisdiction run by people with a lick of common sense. There are serious health implications from non maintained pools. (Mosquitoes)

That makes sense to me. Along with that a green pool is a risky pool- we've all read the stories of kids drowning after wandering off in green pools and no one *sees* them for days.

Last edited:
Chemically identical. The issue with household bleach is that most have additives. Fabric Protection. Cloromax, splashless, scents, etc. Best to not use those in a pool.
Check Home Depot, Walmart, farm stores, cleaning supply stores, etc for liquid chlorine
So the liquid chlorine I get from the pool store is good? I really do prefer to support small businesses.

Sure. Liquid chlorine is sodium hypochlorite which is bleach. The concentrations just vary. No additives.

Not sure where you are in Houston, but there is a chemical company near Spring that sells liquid chlorine in bulk. You have to have your own refillable containers that are of a proper dimension.

Check HD site daily, it shows accurate stock (or lack of). Buying 4 cases (of 3) saves $1 per case, $3 per gallon for 10% is cheaper than any pool store here in Austin. Our local HD was out of stock for 2 weeks, then one day I noticed it had 38 cases. Went and got me 6 (18g). Fresh stock.

Check HD site daily, it shows accurate stock (or lack of). Buying 4 cases (of 3) saves $1 per case, $3 per gallon for 10% is cheaper than any pool store here in Austin. Our local HD was out of stock for 2 weeks, then one day I noticed it had 38 cases. Went and got me 6 (18g). Fresh stock.
I bought 8 cases today. 3 of them looked 10 years old. I guess they will be good for washing clothes anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine were 20 101, HD stock churns pretty fast. Not as fast as the grocery I used to buy 8.25%, but now they cost more and are 6%. 10% at HD is my go to.

Mine were 20 101, HD stock churns pretty fast. Not as fast as the grocery I used to buy 8.25%, but now they cost more and are 6%. 10% at HD is my go to.

My local HD stores were all showing low inventory so I ordered online to get 6 cases delivered to my house for the $9 delivery fee. A guy showed up the next day with 5 cases and I don't know which of my 5 local HD's it came from but it doesn't matter since I didn't have to run around town checking stock. I just have to now call HD back to get refunded for my 6th case, which is a pain.

Julian date showed they were only a couple weeks old. Seems as if the bleach shortage is actually improving the quality due to inventories having to be replenished so quickly.

I am also using... wait for it... TRICHLOR!!! No one is buying pucks to make disinfectant.

No one seems to have wised up to Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid 10% @ my Wally World, a whole rack with ~40 bottles has gone untouched.

Brickseek Inventory Checker, just plug in your zip. Your mileage may vary if it's actually in stock. If it says 6+ you have a somewhat good chances of it being in stock.

Reactions: shawes
No one seems to have wised up to Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid 10% @ my Wally World, a whole rack with ~40 bottles has gone untouched.

Brickseek Inventory Checker, just plug in your zip. Your mileage may vary if it's actually in stock. If it says 6+ you have a somewhat good chances of it being in stock.
The 10% at HD is only $3/g. Usually fresh. Website stock info is also updated daily.

No one has realized it here as well. Julian date is 20 029 so a couple of months old right now, but it's all I have for an option. I opened my pool in middle of march and have been using it pretty much nonstop. Think I have probably another 40 gallons to go. I know it's older, but better than nothing. I have it stored in my basement storage room now. Dark and cool. I'm hoping that will buy me some time.

Looks like it's still working as my tests are all coming back positive. Actually slamming right now, due to an abundance of rain and wind lately here in KS.

I was able to buy 3 weeks ago 50 gallons at home delt with a great date (march 2021). I asked the propel at home depot to get the palette down for me, they were kind of making fun of me.not wanted to purchase the liquid chlorine 8 months old they have on the floor and did not hear about the shortage.
Today I checked no more chlorine in all the home Depot in the area. I store them in the garage and might move them to the basement as it's cooler and darker.

In my locale I’m still seeing it at HD & Lowe’s but it’s mostly stuff made in early 2020. Not sure where this stuff has been rat holed, but it’s in the stores now & sitting outside in temps approaching 100 degrees already. 😔

Was in Walmart in S. MD last night buying latex caulk for a molding project and noticed a large supply of both 7.5% Home and 10% Pool CL. The 7.5% was $2.94 for approx 0.7 Gal size and the Pool was $3.94 for one Gallon. I didn't buy any as I just completed SLAM with 73% CALHYPO and fired up my SWG, it's kicking tail...my FC went from 6.5 up to 12ppm at the 60% setting in 2 days, had to back it down to 20%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.