Blank canvas in Laughlin, NV.

I was unaware of a few codes when I started my build but figured a few out along the way. I don't want to be the "code police" (as opposed to the "dream police" for those who remember) her you go.

704.3 Handhold. A handhold shall consist of any of the following: (a) A continuous coping, ledge or handhold shall be placed a maximum of twelve (12) inches (305 mm) above the water surface or no greater than six (6) inches (152.4 mm) below water level. A ledge shall have a minimum projection of three (3) inches (76 mm). Individual handholds must be at least six (6) inches (152.4 mm) in length and one and one-half (1 ½) inches (38 mm) in depth. Attachment must be made by an approved listed waterproof epoxy. Vanishing edges sloping into the main body of water shall have a maximum wall thickness of fifteen (15) inches (381 mm) when used as a handhold.

For me, it meant I had to add a 3" ledge along the raised bond beam stretch below the waterline or add some sort of handhold every 4 feet. If your raised area is a maximum of 12 inches above the waterline, you are OK. Otherwise, you need the ledge or a handhold.

SPL...Thanks for the heads up. Think I read about this somewhere, you pool people are making me read much more than my little brain can absorb! Our friends found a work-around for their raised beam, will have to check it out when I'm over there Saturday. Ours is going to be 18", which I believe is the same as theirs. Wondering if having larger stone pieces sticking out would suffice? Will definitely do some more investigating. Anyway, I appreciate the "policing" thanks.

So my brother is coming out from Missouri on Friday, he figured we'd have a pool already in the ground.
Anyway, we do have a pool, decking gets started tomorrow!!!! LOL

pool.jpg

Final touches are being put on the "real" pool plan.
Compiling equipment list but I'm on the fence about SWG.
More soon...

Last edited:
Hello again, pool thing starting to get fun. Talked to like 10 different contractors today. Sent most of them my plans, should start getting bids soon. Have a few already, but I haven't wanted to call anybody because we didn't have official plans done. Now that we do...LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!
:stirpot: Time to cook up my all-star pool making team!!!!

Has anyone during the pool designing process developed the urge to peak over people's walls to look at their pools?
Would that be creepy? I just want to know what their pool looks like, and theirs, and theirs...:D
Beware Vegas builders, on my next trip up there...just saying.

Has anyone during the pool designing process developed the urge to peak over people's walls to look at their pools?
Would that be creepy? I just want to know what their pool looks like, and theirs, and theirs...:D
Beware Vegas builders, on my next trip up there...just saying.

Most definitely! I actually use redfin to find homes that are for sale nearby and check out pictures of their pools that way. I may have also attended an Open House or ten two. I also use satellite view in Google Maps to take an aerial tour of pools. :taped:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All the time Hahahah. Since I decided I was going to put in a pool I have done nothing but look at pools and magazines and I'm ashamed to say I even had my friend come by with his drone to fly over the neighborhood and snap pictures of pools Hahahaha.
I have also looked at listings like twin. I even had my realtor set me up a mls to come to my email with high end houses with pools so I could get ideas on high end touches

Okay so there is such a thing as a peeping at other peoples pools syndrome​.
At least I'm not alone, and I suppose I'm already in the right support group.

Ha - yes! I've also been known to get distracted when meeting with clients and I can see their pool through the window. [emoji85] I also may or may not have snuck this photo while on a job site a few months ago:
21211271b265f3a97a63d52799e62f69.jpg

Hope Memorial Day is treating everybody well!
Moving along...Final Pool specs: 25,282 gallon freeform gunite approximately 34x34 attached spa, 8'6" deep end, wet deck, pool raised 30" off ground.

OK Here are the equipment biggies...Kat looks like I have to start spending your money....:D
Please let me know how messed up my system is going to be...
Thanks

POOL CONTROL
Pentair 521150 EasyTouch 8 Function Control Pool/Spa Combo with IC60
Pentair ScreenLogic2 IntelliTouch Interface Wireless Connection Kit | 522104
Pentair IntellipH pH Controller | 521377
Pentair Intellichem Chemical Controller W/ 1 PUMP & ACID CONTAINER
PUMPS
Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Ultra Energy-Efficient, 230V
Pentair In ground Superflo 1.5 HP Pool Pump - Spa
Pentair In ground Superflo 1.5 HP Pool Pump - Water Features
2HP Spa Blower needed?
FILTERS
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP520 Cartridge 520 sq. ft. In Ground Pool Filter
HEATER
Raypak 009219 Digital Natural Gas 399,000 BTU Pool Heater
CLEANING SYSTEM
Dolphin DX4S Automatic Robotic Cleaner with IntelliScan Technology
Peentair autoleveler
Hayward Pool Concrete Skimmer with Float Valve White 2" Slip Ports | SP10712SFVA
Pentair Admiral S20 Concrete Skimmer circ. weir, equalizer, 2 in. threaded, FIPT
SUPERFLOW 360 COLOR MATCHED DRAIN WHITE
LIGHTS
Pentair 640122 IntelliBrite 5G Color Spa Light with 100' Cord, 120V
Pentair American Products Spa Niche Small Plastic for Concrete Pools | 79206600
Pentair 601002 IntelliBrite 5G Color LED 120V, 26W, 100' Cord with Stainless Steel Face Ring Pool Light 2X
Pentair 78210400 Large Stainless Steel Niche 3/4in. Top Hub for Concrete Installation
WATER FEATURES
Jandy JDJ2004 Deck Jets - Four Pack
Pentair Colorvision Bubbler 580037 for gunite
Sacrificial Anode for corrosion
flat.jpg

Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Ultra Energy-Efficient, 230V
Pentair In ground Superflo 1.5 HP Pool Pump - Spa
Pentair In ground Superflo 1.5 HP Pool Pump - Water Features
2HP Spa Blower needed?

Alrighty then! Please ask your PB why TWO pumps for the spa? He might be thinking of something and I do not want to second guess him but you can already see what I think BUT will hold off on saying until you hear back from him.

Water features-make sure the bubbler and deck jets are controlled by different valves AND that you can turn one or the other off as wented.

Valves-I do not see any mention of valves. Make sure you get the good ones and many of them! Pentair makes some good one. Do NOT allow your PB to put the cheap ones from Lowes or such. It will end up costing you in the end.

More valves-Each skimmer should have it's own valve as should the main drain. The returns in the pool can all be on one.

-returns-how many and where?

Unions-on everything you might need to service or replace at some point-filter, pump, etc.

-heater-make sure they put in a heater bypass with unions. If you have it you will not need it LOL

I THINK I covered it all or at least enough for this round of wallet opening! LOL

Kim:kim:

Kim thanks for the info...I asked myself (PB) about the two pumps for the spa. I just didn't know if i still needed a blower too if the spa had its own pump. ?!:confused:
Looking at 4 pool returns, scattered about...Haven't calculated how many valves we'll need but I like the
talk I've read about the Jandy never-lubes. Will have to draw it all out to see what we'll actually need...
More soon...

Here's a little bit of an update. :brickwall:

Progressing but slow. I haven't had much time to devote to pool building, partially because I've been browsing Big Will's post too much.
Anyway just got back from a mini-vaca and had HOA approval letter in the mail, which is good.

Big issue right now is finding a good plumber that will do pools, and do them in Laughlin.
Pretty much have all my subs lined up with bids, just the plumbing people are are not cooperating...
Oh well, back to the phone...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.