Blank canvas in Laughlin, NV.

Here's a little bit of an update. :brickwall:

Progressing but slow. I haven't had much time to devote to pool building, partially because I've been browsing Big Will's post too much

lol, when yours is all said and done you will have a far superior oasis to mine, and I can't wait to go along for the ride with you. Just go ahead and get ALL the bells and whistles... we only live once :)

Well, mini step number 753, I paid Clark County Water Reclamation $192 for their permission to dump 25K gallons of water into their sewage system someday.
Problem was that I had to pay it in Vegas. Read online that I could get my permits here in Laughlin, just had to pay the sewage company up in Vegas...well,
met with the building inspector in Laughlin yesterday and he says I have to get my permits in Vegas. And there's another 90 mile drive...
I have to say though that taking my sweet burro time building our pool, I'm able to fine tune everything. I just may be able to fit in the zipline, double loop water slide and gogo dancer cages after all. :party:

Well, mini step number 753, I paid Clark County Water Reclamation $192 for their permission to dump 25K gallons of water into their sewage system someday.
Problem was that I had to pay it in Vegas. Read online that I could get my permits here in Laughlin, just had to pay the sewage company up in Vegas...well,
met with the building inspector in Laughlin yesterday and he says I have to get my permits in Vegas. And there's another 90 mile drive...
I have to say though that taking my sweet burro time building our pool, I'm able to fine tune everything. I just may be able to fit in the zipline, double loop water slide and gogo dancer cages after all. :party:

That sucks that you have to come to Vegas for the permits! But while you're here, maybe you can stop by and admire Big Will's pool LOL.

UPDATE AGAIN.

Have permits! Will be meeting with excavator/framer/re-bar guy tomorrow. May have a hole in the ground by the end of the week.
Will try to keep myself focused...:D

Good day pool peeps! Here is my latest so called update:

Running total spent on pool so far... (drum roll...) $7356.27
To show for it?
I have one spa light, a bunch of 2x4's, plywood, 250 empty sand bags, pool plans, permits, and a lot of empty
craft beer bottles! (but yes I do have equipment ordered/en route)
Still a dirt yard but work is getting started tomorrow!!!:rockon:
Posting coming tomorrow with some pictures!!!

Last edited:
Here's a couple of pictures showing some of yesterday's progress. Back at it today!!!
Nothing pretty yet, just some wood and dirt...:D
IMG_20170819_063749990.jpgIMG_20170819_190601103.jpg

PS: I FILLED 50 SAND BAGS YESTERDAY! I am man hear me roar! (..and groan today cuz i ache all over.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good afternoon from Laughlin, NV.
Well there has been a little progress, not a lot, Friday/Saturday we should see some major changes...
(like a hole in the ground!)

IMG_20170820_151610535.jpg
IMG_20170822_123051684.jpg
Talked to the building inspector today just to get my bearings, a couple of things looked odd to me, so I wanted to make sure
they were going to be "legal". Would rather not have to re-do a bunch of work later on down the road.
Anyway feels good to have some kind of visual evidence of a pool in the backyard...more later this week!

Wife pointed out that there wasn't 3 feet between the deck wall and the property wall.
I remembered something about the HOA not allowing plants/trees within 3 feet of the wall but was worried
that the deck was too close. Inspector said that they needed 3 ft from
waterline to property wall so that firemen could get around pool if necessary.
With the deck there is no issue for them to get around the pool.
It was better to check on that before we went hog wild with digging framing
and rebar....2nd issue had to do with steps up to deck. Inspector
originally said that we needed a railing, county said no we didn't,
inspector has to verify... truthfully i was just trying to butter up the
local building inspector...��

21150148_10212079222409582_1255604866141731999_n.jpg
So I was able to drive this thing from the front of the house to the back, did a three point turn, tried to scrape some dirt, got like a handful. DMV would be proud of me.
Couldn't figure out how to do the little claw thing in the back, maybe tomorrow. I can drive a car, a train, a boat, but this tractor thing has me all weird'ed out!
:cheers::cheers:
Night pool peeps!

So, today I realized the purpose for building a pool in the first place. LAUGHLIN IS HOT!! 120+ today and the guys were trying to fill
sandbags and dig a pool?! Mother nature is costing me another $250 for another day for the back hoe. :neutral: Best part of doing the owner/builder thing...
changing things up on the fly. Moved a skimmer today, whilst figuring out what to do with so much extra dirt, decided to add a raised patio. Brother talked me out of the 2x4 built go-go dancing cages, citing penal codes and OSHA rules..zip line may still...
Anyway hoping we don't have 3 weeks of continuous monsoons...ok bye 4 now, more maybe tomorrow....

Progress 8/27/17
IMG_20170827_154808724.jpgIMG_20170827_150723769.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.