Best way to heat spillover Spa?

Pumalicious

Jun 5, 2019
Florida
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a house that has an inground spa/pool. The spa, when the pump is on spills over into the pool.
It came with a solar heating thing, and I was able to fix that (replaced leaky pipe on solar line), but after fixing it, the hot tub doesn't seem to be getting hot.

I wasn't very confident the solar (Heliocol system) would be enough to keep a hot tub to around 104, especially during the night when we would want to use it.
The system does have valves to turn off the pool or spa intake, and then it goes into the filter, solar, and then splits off to go to the hot tub or the pool. I currently have it set-up to only intake from the hot tub, and only go to the pool in hopes that circulating just the hot tub would allow it to get hot with the solar only, but today's taste yielded a cold tub.

What's the best way to approach this. We don't have natural gas in our house, and no propane tank currently. I'm only wanting to heat the spa.

1. Is there something wrong with my solar heating or is this expected behavior?
2. Should I look into a propane heater (I see electric heaters not recommended much on this forum)? If so, what size and how much monthly cost does the propane add approximately?
3. I'm assuming I would have to hire a professional to install all of this as well, correct? Running the lines underground and all that.
4. Would a heat pump work or is that the cheap method?

I'm very thankful for any help I receive as this is all new to me.

I currently have it set-up to only intake from the hot tub, and only go to the pool in hopes that circulating just the hot tub would allow it to get hot with the solar only, but today's taste yielded a cold tub.

I'm a new pool owner, so don't take my comments with 100% confidence. My spa and pool are the same in yours in which the spa overflows into the pool. I also have a valve system so that I can choose what water is directed to the heater, and where the water from the heater goes. In your description, I think you may have it backwards. Right now you're taking hot water from the hot tub, heating it, and putting it into the pool.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I would have it heat the hot tub water, and then return it to the hot tub as well. Then you should be able to isolate just the hot tub and see how it goes.

As I said, I'm in the same boat with my pool (except I have a heat exchange for the heat source). Right now I direct 70% of the water from/to the pool to heat it up. In the colder months, I'll likely direct it all towards the hot tub and raise the temperature of the thermostat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.