Best way to get large amounts of leafs out of green pool

evamor

Mar 2, 2021
DFW
My pump died a couple months ago and I've been stuck with a very green very leaf filled pool. I just finally got and had a new intelliflo vsf installed and need to get the pool from swamp to clear. I unfortunately have a very large tree over the pool that has dumped TONS of leafs and acorns into it. What is the best way to easily and quickly get these all out? It's well beyond the scope of my little robot and spending a day with a hand net is not my idea of fun. Is there a large scale commercial vacuum or service others have been successful with using for this?

Attachments

• IMG_8081.jpg
    IMG_8081.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 30
Eva,

Depending on the kind of filter you have, I would vacuum to waste..

In the DFW area, water prices are so low that it often makes more sense to drain and refill a pool, than it does to buy the million gallons of chlorine that it will take to turn your green pool blue.

Also.. It should only take you a couple of hours with a leaf rake to clean your pool, and that would include plenty of breaks.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you are willing to spend a few hundred then call around to pool service companies. They should have standalone pool vacuums with large leaf bags to clean out the pool. Or at the least you can pay someone else to net out the debris.

Eva,

Depending on the kind of filter you have, I would vacuum to waste..

In the DFW area, water prices are so low that it often makes more sense to drain and refill a pool, than it does to buy the million gallons of chlorine that it will take to turn your green pool blue.

Also.. It should only take you a couple of hours with a leaf rake to clean your pool, and that would include plenty of breaks.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

This actually isnt an idea im opposed to. I can buy a sump pump and empty it then rake the leafs out. Is there any concerns pressure washing the plaster to get the algae off and with the pool being empty for a day or two even if it rains? I haven't seen any pressure relief valves at the bottom of the pool to account for the hydrostatic pressure. Just dont want the pool to float up and create a 200k problem.

Reactions: markayash
Eva,

Unless you are right next to a lake, or know that you have a high-water table, then emptying a pool in the DFW area is not much of an issue.

I've had two pools replastered in this area and they did not think twice about draining them.

I don't know if I'd use high pressure to wash the plaster down, but low pressure should not be an issue.

You might want to check with your city before refilling your pool. Some cities do not charge for the sewer part of the bill if you tell them up front.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Eva,

Unless you are right next to a lake, or know that you have a high-water table, then emptying a pool in the DFW area is not much of an issue.

I've had two pools replastered in this area and they did not think twice about draining them.

I don't know if I'd use high pressure to wash the plaster down, but low pressure should not be an issue.

You might want to check with your city before refilling your pool. Some cities do not charge for the sewer part of the bill if you tell them up front.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am actually right on a lake but a good 1-200ft from the shore.

I'm' not sure I agree with draining and refilling a pool. That seems very time consuming, most likely pretty expensive and you still have to get the leaves out. First thing I'd do is get the chemistry right in the pool. The water is not green because of the leaves. It's green because you do have enough chlorine. You need to shock the pool until you eat up all the contaminants in the pool. Lot's of info on doing this here. Shock, shock, shock until the pool turns blue again. Then use a leaf net or a leaf vacuum like below, which is very easy.

81oQFZh8O3L._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg

I'm' not sure I agree with draining and refilling a pool. That seems very time consuming, most likely pretty expensive and you still have to get the leaves out. First thing I'd do is get the chemistry right in the pool. The water is not green because of the leaves. It's green because you do have enough chlorine. You need to shock the pool until you eat up all the contaminants in the pool. Lot's of info on doing this here. Shock, shock, shock until the pool turns blue again. Then use a leaf net or a leaf vacuum like below, which is very easy.

81oQFZh8O3L._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg
It's actually the reverse of what you said. First get all organics out then SLAM the pool. If you leave the leaves in the water and try to slam you're basically throwing away your 💲💲.

I deal with this issue all the time in DFW (not the green part). I just use my net to get the top stuff and I don’t sweat what’s in the pool. I do have a Polaris cleaner and just empty it out daily. After a few days it’s cleared up. If you don’t have any type of cleaner then just use your net to scoop them up. Anyhow, I would balance the pool after you clean out the debris.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.