Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Picked up 20 more gallons from Menards this morning. I should be good until the next BOGO in July. The electronic sign at the street actually said "Pool shock BOGO sale!", and the stack was much smaller than it was earlier in the week.

Datecode on all the ones I picked up today was 18108 or 18109, so they were manufactured the second week of April.

Anyone have any reason not to use this as my pool chlorine? I'm guessing this stuff is basically bleach labeled as Econo Shock. Looks and smells like any normal bleach. It says 6% so if this is ok to use, Island Recreational runs sales every week or 2 and has this stuff for .99/gallon and I will be buying a bunch of cases to get me through the season. They appear to have 2018 date codes on them too.

I just got a new 18x33 pool and replaced one that was destroyed by saltwater, so we are no longer going the salt route and I can't find any of the brands mentioned on here and a lot of the stores you guys mentioned are not here in NY.

20180505_032131.jpg20180505_032123.jpg

Anyone have any reason not to use this as my pool chlorine? I'm guessing this stuff is basically bleach labeled as Econo Shock. Looks and smells like any normal bleach. It says 6% so if this is ok to use, Island Recreational runs sales every week or 2 and has this stuff for .99/gallon and I will be buying a bunch of cases to get me through the season. They appear to have 2018 date codes on them too.

I just got a new 18x33 pool and replaced one that was destroyed by saltwater, so we are no longer going the salt route and I can't find any of the brands mentioned on here and a lot of the stores you guys mentioned are not here in NY.
Yup, it's the same as 6% bleach. Dollar General and other stores have it regular price at 99 cents n many areas.

By the date code it was bottled on teh 74th day of 2018

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've noticed most brands of bleach here have dropped from 8.25% to 6% this year. Kroger still has 8.25% in their store brand, and it was on sale here for $2.69 a gallon this morning.

For those in the Northeast, Ocean State Job Lot is having a Mother's Day Special for Insiders. If you buy a $100 gift card, you get a $30 Crazy Deals gift card for free, which can be spent on anything in the store. So essentially, you get over 23% off if you prepay $100, which comes out to less than 15 cents an ounce.

I've already done it once. I'm probably going to do it again, but there is a 6/customer limit.

WinCo was $2 for 121 ounces at 8.25%. Just went to WinCo 2 days ago and it is now $1.75 for the same amount and percent! GREAT BUY if this store is near you...

I am in Oklahoma. Last year I found 128 oz of 12% liquid pool shock at Atwoods for 4/8.99. The bottles say "expires June, 2018". On these other posts some people say the chlorine is only good for 3 months if it is kept inside and away from heat.

1. Should I trust Atwood's expiration dates which was well over 1 year or go by the 3 month rule based on the bottle's production date?

2. Does kept inside mean in an air conditioned place? I doubt the bottles are kept in air conditioned trucks during delivery all over the U.S. where I live. The bottles say put in trunk of car. I guess it is because of fumes. If that is the case, isn't it dangerous to keep the bottles inside a home or business?

3. Which would be best? Keep bottles in an outside, metal storage shed with no air conditioning or insulation? Keep in an insulated garage with no air conditioning? Is it dangerous to keep in a garage with a gas hot water tank?

4. I bought a few bottles during the Atwood sale in April (Oklahoma), but most of the bottles had an expiration date of June 2018. I will need more bottles in July. Has anyone seen any on sale lately in Oklahoma?

thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support