Avon, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
(note: please ignore the pool in my signature - I have recently moved and haven't updated it yet)

I have a 10' x 20' kidney-shaped pool, and am struggling a bit to get the volume dialed in. I have done several of the online calculators, have re-measured (the 10'x20' seems to be the outer diameter, not the inner diameter), have searched for information from the manufacturer, etc. Still, my chemical additions seem to be overshooting every time, leading me to believe that the volume is lower than what I calculated. I know there are methods for calculating this via measuring chemical additions, but wanted to check and see if anybody had any good guidance on where to start.

The easiest way is to add Chlorine or acid, depending on what you need. When you do, test 30 minutes later. If you overshoot, reduce your pool volume by 500Gallons. If you undershoot, add 500G to your pool volume. Rinse and repeat (when you need to add chlorine or acid).

If you have already been overshooting, reduce your pool volume (in pool math) by 500...and keep going.

When your expectations match reality, you are close enough.

The easiest way is to add Chlorine or acid, depending on what you need. When you do, test 30 minutes later. If you overshoot, reduce your pool volume by 500Gallons. If you undershoot, add 500G to your pool volume. Rinse and repeat (when you need to add chlorine or acid).

If you have already been overshooting, reduce your pool volume (in pool math) by 500...and keep going.

When your expectations match reality, you are close enough.
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid this trial and error, but it's likely where I'll end up.

struggling a bit to get the volume dialed in
When was the last time you did a fresh fill? The start and end water meter readings (minus estimated household consumption) will give you a very accurate volume. If you have a smart water meter, you might be able to look up past usage data to get the data you need.

When was the last time you did a fresh fill? The start and end water meter readings (minus estimated household consumption) will give you a very accurate volume. If you have a smart water meter, you might be able to look up past usage data to get the data you need.
The last fresh fill was in 2018 when the pool was installed (for context, we have owned this house since before the pool was here, but it was a vacation rental until last fall and the pool was managed by a vendor). Since it's a fiberglass pool and we live at the beach, we were cautioned by the installer and the manufacturer to never drain the pool.

Travis,

Since it is fiberglass pool, the manufacturer should be able to tell you the volume..

That said, it is just not a big deal, at all.

I have two rent house pools that I just guessed at the volume.. I've owned them for well over 12 years and have never felt the need to calculate the actual volume..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: PoolStored