May 1, 2021
Louisville, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi!

We bought a house last summer with a 16x32 AGP and are new to maintaining a pool. We currently have a doughboy silica 2 sand filter and a Hayward Swimpro LX 1.5 hp pump. I have opened the pool but am having issues with the sand filter. It is slowly leaking from the top and waste drain and pumping out sand when backwashing and filtering. I was careful and tedious when closing the pool at the end of last summer so not sure what happened but also have realized this filter seems to have been around awhile. With that said, seems like there are no real replacement parts available so I am looking at just upgrading to a new filter.

What would be the best filter for my situation? Sand vs DE? Something efficient that will keep the pool clean with relatively low maintenance?

Also just bought a Pentair warrior SE thanks to all the info in this thread and hoping to also invest on the best filter for our needs with everyone’s guidance.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Sounds like you may have some cracked laterals inside your sand filter. And the leaking is probably an issue with gasket.

You can ask several people here about the best filter and you’ll get different answers! For some, we love the ease of a sand filter... if you get one big enough, and use skimmer socks or hairnets on skimmer basket, you may hardly ever need to backwash.

Some find cartridge filters the best, for their ability to filter out smaller particles, and no mechanical parts to break.

And some prefer DE filters because they filter out much smaller particles than the other two.

So it really just depends on what is most important to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.