Best Cartridge Filter Cleaning Tool

Filter Flosser

I purchased one of these last year and have used it several times. Definitely better and faster then just a hose sprayer . Your results will be mostly based on you water pressure at the hose end. Make sure you eliminate any pressure loss you can. IE.. Get a larger diameter hose with the minimum length required, remove any backflow fittings on the outside spigot. If you can attach a hose to the water main area where your water enters the house it would eliminate the pressure loss from the household plumbing.

It is shaky as far as endurance. It’s been through 2 rounds of cleanings and still no issues. I only clean my filters every 4-6 months, and I’m careful to remove the Aqua Comb and store it. One solid ‘smack’ on the concrete and I’m sure it’d break, so be careful. It works very well, though a standard hose nozzle would work almost equally as well, but I figure this one saves some water.

Am I the only one who thinks that all our cartridge cleaning tools and techniques are wrong? I have the Filter Flosser, and compared to just a hose nozzle it works exceptionally well. HOWEVER, I still feel like washing a filter from the outside only is not the best way to clean it. After all, in use, dirty water flows from the outside of the filter to the inside, with the debris blocked by the filter medium. Some of that debris, though, especially fine silt, plaster, and such, must get embedded in the tiny holes through which the water flows, with the end result being plugged holes. Spraying water from the outside might knock some loose, but some also must remain there reducing water flow. That must be why no matter how much rinsing we do, the post-cleaning filter pressure is never as low as with a new filter.

Here's what I think. Some way to flush water through the filter from the inside out--like blocking one end and connecting a water hose to the other--would work better. Spraying the outside while water pressure is on the inside would have to work better at getting the little tiny stuff unstuck from the little tiny holes. I've looked and can't find anything like that and don't have the skills to make one, but I'm really sure it would do a superior job of cleaning the filter cartridges. Or is there some reason why my logic is flawed? If there were a place to take filter cartridges for cleaning, I think I'd happily pay $20-30 for a reverse flow cleaning service on my four Pentair cartridges.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a different type of filter cartridge, the Orca reusable filter.

You can clean it the usual way, and to deep clean you take the filter medium (looks like hardware cloth) off the spindle, wash it with soap and water, rinse thoroughly, and let it dry in the sun (for bacteria). My pool's not up yet, so I have no experience with it, but it sounds like a great idea.

I'll keep y'all posted on how it works out.

Last edited:
I dont recommend everyone or even anyone do what I do ... but I'll just what my experience is for cleaning cartridge filters.

I know everyone and all the literature says not to, but I use pressure washer at the car wash on mine. I just stand back far enough so as to be sure that I dont hit it with too much pressure and damage them. Works like a charm and I have all 4 of them done in 10 minutes. I started doing this because my water pressure from the tap is only about 50psi and it took a couple hours and didnt to a good job of cleaning them. Going on year 6 with the same filters now, so Im happy!

Reactions: markayash
I dont recommend everyone or even anyone do what I do ... but I'll just what my experience is for cleaning cartridge filters.

I know everyone and all the literature says not to, but I use pressure washer at the car wash on mine. I just stand back far enough so as to be sure that I dont hit it with too much pressure and damage them. Works like a charm and I have all 4 of them done in 10 minutes. I started doing this because my water pressure from the tap is only about 50psi and it took a couple hours and didnt to a good job of cleaning them. Going on year 6 with the same filters now, so Im happy!
I bought a little electric Pressure washer from amazon for $99 and ot works great. Has an adjustable tip so You can make a big fan and it gets Crud out the hose wont

Reactions: Divin Dave
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.