Befuddled in Texas

jai b. fuddled

Mar 27, 2023
Spring, TX
Pool Size
Hi from Spring, TX! We moved to our current house about two years ago which already had (what we’ve been told is) a 50k gallon pool. We are on our third weekly pool maintenance company but we just noticed green algae last week. The pool company came to address it but it’s already starting to reappear. I have very much been wanting to learn how to maintain the pool myself, if for no other reason than to know whether the pool guys are staying on top of everything. So I’m glad to have found this forum. Hoping to be a little less befuddled soon!

Reactions: Stephs2125
jai,

Show us a couple of pic of your pool and tell us the dimensions..

50K is a pretty big pool, let's make sure of the size.

How is your pool maintenance company chlorinating your pool now?

It is very easy to keep from getting algae, but once you have it, it is much harder and more expensive to kill it.

How much do you pay for your water per 1,000 gallons?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have very much been wanting to learn how to maintain the pool myself, if for no other reason than to know whether the pool guys are staying on top of everything
They simply can't stay on top of everything with weekly service, and the pool owner won't want to pay for daily or 4 times a week service. So the pool service has to use the dump and pray method of pool care. Dump a bunch of things in on the weekly service call, and pray there is still chlorine left next time. (It depletes daily).

To address the inattentiveness, they have shock protocols and super shock protocols and you'd probably be better off saying actual Hail Mary's.

If you get a similar test kit to the ones we use at home (Test Kits Compared) it's like we are standing there with you, testing it ourselves. We'll even tell you what to do until it all clicks.

Start reading up on the basics Marty posted and ask away in any appropriate sub forum. :)

jai,

Show us a couple of pic of your pool and tell us the dimensions..

50K is a pretty big pool, let's make sure of the size.

How is your pool maintenance company chlorinating your pool now?

It is very easy to keep from getting algae, but once you have it, it is much harder and more expensive to kill it.

How much do you pay for your water per 1,000 gallons?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim! Thanks! So it’s basically two pools with one overflowing into the other. I took some very rough measurements and the lower pool is approximately 25x30 and 4 feet deep throughout. The upper pool is 21x40 and 8 feet deep at the deepest end, and 4 feet at the shallowest. We do have a beach entry at one end, a Baja shelf, a couple stools and a bench and table that are built- in so I imagine that has to be factored into the measurements somehow. Also there is a hot tub that is 8 feet wide and just under 3.5 feet deep. The pool has an intimidating series of pumps and filters. There is also a built in automatic vacuum system. I do not know the specifics of how the pool company is chlorinating but I believe they use pool tablets directly in an automatic chlorinator as opposed to the filter baskets. But that’s something I’ll need to get more clarity on when they come later this week. I also do not have the answer to cost of the water per 1000 gallons. I’ll see if I can get that this evening. Here are some pix

E4847A25-4757-4577-9432-257CF4521EE0.jpegBECE1231-FA35-44E0-9A9A-463D1C6B30CF.jpegC5D7E167-1EF7-4558-8DF1-6423D8B931B5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
They simply can't stay on top of everything with weekly service, and the pool owner won't want to pay for daily or 4 times a week service. So the pool service has to use the dump and pray method of pool care. Dump a bunch of things in on the weekly service call, and pray there is still chlorine left next time. (It depletes daily).

To address the inattentiveness, they have shock protocols and super shock protocols and you'd probably be better off saying actual Hail Mary's.

If you get a similar test kit to the ones we use at home (Test Kits Compared) it's like we are standing there with you, testing it ourselves. We'll even tell you what to do until it all clicks.

Start reading up on the basics Marty posted and ask away in any appropriate sub forum. :)
Makes so much sense. Thank you. And yes, I ordered one of the suggested test kits earlier today. Super excited to receive it, read up on all the info here and start to learn and take charge of the maintenance!

Reactions: Newdude
And yes, I ordered one of the suggested test kits earlier today
SWEET. Armed with the results from similar test kits, we walk people through pool chemistry around the world, on the daily.

There are other ways and other test methods and other everything. But we know this way, and not for nothing, it works amazingly.

How Clear is TFP Clear?

Reactions: jai b. fuddled
Jai,

Thanks for the pics.. all I can say is WOW!!! and I estimate it to be at least 50K in size.

I don't have a degree in math, so kind of lost track of how many pump you have.. :mrgreen:

The good news is that you have a beautiful set up, the bad news is that I see some challenges ahead.

How much time can you dedicate to taking care of the pool each week?

I agree that your pool guys are most likely using Chlorine Tablets, which we are not fond of using. The other options are Liquid Chlorine or changing to Saltwater pools.

My guess is that your CYA (Stabilizer) is well over 100 ppm and that is why you have algae. With high CYA you can't keep enough chlorine in the water to prevent algae.

When you use tablets, the CYA in the tablets does not go away, it just continues to increase over time. The only fix is to drain and refill with fresh water. Please let us know your test results after you get you test kit.

If nothing else, the test kit will give you the ability to 'see' how well or not well your pool guys are taking care of your chemicals. I am leaning on the 'not' well side.. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude