Beach entry question

Our neighbors built a beach entry with stamped concrete as the entry into the pool. It was VERY slippery, so if you go that route, just make sure your surface has enough traction so that people aren’t slipping and hitting their noggins. Also, our neighbor’s pool had the slope of the beach entry following the natural drainage slope of the yard. Where do you think all of the rainwater and associated debris went during our torrential rainstorms? Flooded the pool every time, so pay close attention to your drainage.

Yeah sealed concrete has no business being in a wet area.
Guess we have to replace nearly every bridge support in the land. They go into the water, through the muck and down to bedrock, designed to last a lifetime. Plenty of those bodies of water are salt too.

I like the hostility towards my questions!
My guess is that your question may have been mistaken for a statement. There’s plenty of misconception about the corrosiveness of a salt water pool. The reality is that all pool water contains salt. The pool water for a SWCG is no more corrosive than a pool maintained with other forms of chlorine. And salt levels for SWCGs are maintained around 3000-3500 ppm. If people who use liquid or other forms of chlorine measured their salt levels, they’d find their water was at least 1500 ppm. As a point of comparison, ocean water is 34,000 ppm.

I want to build a pool 22 ft diameter but with a 12 ft diameter beach entry connected to it kind of like a ven diagram. But if I make one side where they meet closer to the center of the large circle would it be able to hold a Whirlpool? Or would all your energy be sucked out into the beach entry part? Calling all physicists Snapchat-1273083248.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you concerned only about circulation or do you really want to make a whirlpool? To me, a whirlpool means a full vortex from pool top to bottom which requires a tremendous amount of flow rate which no pool pump can produce.

1625260164102.png

What is the real objective? Skimming? If so, then you want water to flow through the beach area.

I am in the process of being an owner builder.. I was kicking around the idea of adding a channel drain along the beach entrance area. so if the water gets too high, it will hit the drain and go away from the pool. Others have suggested I get a shelf instead of the beach entry. Not to the rebar stage so I will decide by that time. I do plan on going travertine for the coping and maybe border the beach entry with it. Will be a SWCG pool. A Currently, I have a huge clay mud hole (it rained) so I am waiting till that drys out to keep going.. In the meantime, I am working on my pool house build. Let me know which direction you end up going..

No I had an ag round pool as a kid and we would get all my family members to run around in a circle and it would make a "whirlpool" that was a ton of fun, I would like to recreate that for my kids but my wife is adamant we are doing a beach entry as well so I'm trying to determine I'f it's possible to hold a current if I build the walls a certain way or I should bag the whole idea

I am in the process of being an owner builder.. I was kicking around the idea of adding a channel drain along the beach entrance area. so if the water gets too high, it will hit the drain and go away from the pool. Others have suggested I get a shelf instead of the beach entry. Not to the rebar stage so I will decide by that time. I do plan on going travertine for the coping and maybe border the beach entry with it. Will be a SWCG pool. A Currently, I have a huge clay mud hole (it rained) so I am waiting till that drys out to keep going.. In the meantime, I am working on my pool house build. Let me know which direction you end up going..
My wife is adamant we are doing a beach entry, I plan on doing just poured concrete decking and bringing it down into the water a little bit at the beach entrance. Hoping don't have too much water loss but I'm not sure what else would work, a drain may but it would have to be quite wide I'd think

The jury is still out on beach entries. From what I have seen, most that have them would not get them again. You will lose a lot of swim area in addition to depth due to slope requirements for the bottom of the pool. Have you considered just a sundeck instead? We love ours a lot. It is large and allows play in that area for younger kids if needed. See my pics.

I wanted to do a beach entry onto the sundeck but our PB had never done one and we decided not to be his first.

We had a sundeck on our last pool and did love it, but my wife is requiring a beach entry on this next pool, we are still having kids so she wants that area for the little ones

I say go for it if you are both in agreement! The main reason I didn't do it on mine was the loss of swim area and we already had a 42' length pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.